Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by StevenH »

econgator wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:30 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:21 pm I figured Ali wasn't gettable without knowledge of the airport, but there was plenty of help if you read.every.word.
If it mentions Louisville, KY, it's almost certainly Ali.
I seem to remember that there was a question a few years back where the answer was Louisville and there was a Muhammad Ali connection.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:21 pm I figured Ali wasn't gettable without knowledge of the airport, but there was plenty of help if you read.every.word.
True. The airport was only renamed for him last year, though. Before that, it was just called "Louisville International Airport" (although the only way you can travel internationally directly from there currently is to ship yourself via UPS; we are their main cargo hub), and before that it was "Standiford Field" (the source of our airport code SDF).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

So far this season I've only gotten either four right or six right every day (four days of each). I'm having a great season, but I don't expect my current DE of .926 to hold up.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:47 pm
I seem to remember that there was a question a few years back where the answer was Louisville and there was a Muhammad Ali connection.
I think it showed a map of downtown and there was a Muhammad Ali Drive on it and we were asked to name the city.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:59 pm So far this season I've only gotten either four right or six right every day (four days of each).
I've had days of 1, 2, 3 (x2), 4 (x3), and 5 right.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:30 pm
classicroadster wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:07 pm I had a baconator Wed night...nice to have a layup like that. Third win in a row to move into the top 5 in my 38 person rundle.

Meanwhile, the 12 foot boy is killing us all in the C/D/E private rundle...
Good job cracking the promotion zone. I think I'll be able to work my way back to D. I'm in first right now but I play 3rd place then 2nd place the next two days.

At 10-9-9-9, we are in a virtual four way tie for the lead. I'm proud of twelvefootsis for making her way into second for our virtual tie and avenging the 7(4)-4(4) beatdown you gave me in our head to head :lol: . I wasted a zero on a clam chowder clue to a northeasterner and you missed it :o . Good match, well played, and you had no way to guess I'd heard a long NPR piece on Mugabe just lately. I couldn't judge if those Heart songs were well known or not.
For the chowder one, I've never been to NYC and I can tell you up here in New ENgland there ain't no red chowder on the menu anywhere! I do recall hearing about red chowder and Manhattan connection, but I thought the cream/milk was central to chowder so it would be some other kind of soup.

I don't feel bad about losing yesterday in the private rundle. When I'm playing someone with a sub 0.300 Games/sport and its a sports q that I'm not sure of (I also went with Court, thinking it was probably too late for her but I couldn't think of anyone else), that is getting the 3. Full credit to her for getting it.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Best of retro-active luck to all who are in the Learned League championship. Results will be posted next week (https://learnedleague.com/championship.php?2020 ) It looks like there are MANY current/occasional/former boardies in the qualifier list (https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/champqualifiers.php ). Our little private rundle has 4 of 6 members in the championship! Of course, two of the three people who have ever won the LL championship are former denizens of this board (with aliases I won't divulge) so the strategy is clear: join this board to win.

I'm in the championship for the first time. It was a fun but stressful hour doing the questions, but much more stressful has been waiting a month to see how I did in comparison to others. I can tell you that round 4 was seriously tough. I'm sure the top people will still get 10+ correct that day, but the rest of us were suitably humbled.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Doonesbury Beats Workin.jpg
Doonesbury Beats Workin.jpg (197.42 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Huge thanks for the invite to the Private JBoard rundle. I am having a ton of fun in JBoardLite!!

-A S
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

boson wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:36 pmIt looks like there are MANY current/occasional/former boardies in the qualifier list (https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/champqualifiers.php ). Our little private rundle has 4 of 6 members in the championship! Of course, two of the three people who have ever won the LL championship are former denizens of this board (with aliases I won't divulge) so the strategy is clear: join this board to win.
Just two? I think all three of them are or were boardies.
In and out of the pool four times
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

Sitting down for the championship questions was terrifying. Lots of impostor syndrome. I'm certain I did not do well enough to be in contention for it, and that's ok ... it felt good doing it and knowing that I could still answer a healthy amount of questions.

In other news ... I started the first week of this season 0-3, but ended this week 5-3!
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

boson wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:36 pm Best of retro-active luck to all who are in the Learned League championship. Results will be posted next week (https://learnedleague.com/championship.php?2020 ) It looks like there are MANY current/occasional/former boardies in the qualifier list (https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/champqualifiers.php ). Our little private rundle has 4 of 6 members in the championship! Of course, two of the three people who have ever won the LL championship are former denizens of this board (with aliases I won't divulge) so the strategy is clear: join this board to win.

I'm in the championship for the first time. It was a fun but stressful hour doing the questions, but much more stressful has been waiting a month to see how I did in comparison to others. I can tell you that round 4 was seriously tough. I'm sure the top people will still get 10+ correct that day, but the rest of us were suitably humbled.
Another Championship rookie here. I will echo everything boson has said; it was a nerve-wracking hour but at the same time great fun. Of the many questions I missed, probably the most frustrating one pertains to a book that, as it turned out, was sitting on a shelf about five feet behind me and to my right, silently mocking me as I slightly misspelled its author's name.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Armandillo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:29 pm Huge thanks for the invite to the Private JBoard rundle. I am having a ton of fun in JBoardLite!!

-A S
Said the MD8 JBL leader! :lol: There's just enough volatility to keep it interesting so far but it will always be fun, even if it isn't competitive. Good job getting the match points and MPD in one game to grab first place. We even had a Dolly Parton (a 9 (5) score, aka an O'Doul's) and possibly a BWA I intend to nominate from twelvefootsis the younger:

Q1. SCIENCE - What muscle in the human body is actually a muscle group, consisting of the rectus femoris, vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, and vastus intermedius?

Answer: Sphincter

It's funny because it wasn't made up to be a BWA :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:28 pm
Armandillo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:29 pm Huge thanks for the invite to the Private JBoard rundle. I am having a ton of fun in JBoardLite!!

-A S
Said the MD8 JBL leader! :lol: There's just enough volatility to keep it interesting so far but it will always be fun, even if it isn't competitive. Good job getting the match points and MPD in one game to grab first place. We even had a Dolly Parton (a 9 (5) score, aka an O'Doul's) and possibly a BWA I intend to nominate from twelvefootsis the younger:

Q1. SCIENCE - What muscle in the human body is actually a muscle group, consisting of the rectus femoris, vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, and vastus intermedius?

Answer: Sphincter

It's funny because it wasn't made up to be a BWA :lol:

I did the same as a serious answer
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I made the acronym EBIDAT, much more pronounceable than EBITDA. For moving one T, and for giving payola 0 points, and for giving Caledonia 3 points instead of EBITDA (due to my opponent having a slightly better Bus/Econ percentage than geography), I lost 6(5)-7(4).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew EBITDA but didn’t pay attention before submitting and put EBIDTA. Turned a win into a tie.

I misread the question about Scotland and thought he was asking for a term for what was beyond the frontier and put horizon.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I use EBITDA at work a lot. I once had a relatively unsophisticated client ask me on a phone call if we would be using the "Evita" method. I just barely avoided cracking up.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I knew the letters were all there for EBITDA, but had no idea what order they'd go in. So I put down PEMDAS as a joke.

1 right yesterday...brain just wasn't getting into gear like it should have been. I haven't looked at questions yet today, but hoping I'm not about to hit another mid-season slump.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

5 right (or the one person with 6) was enough to win every match in my group except one. My opponent and I tied with 6(5)-6(5). He properly defended me on the Business term and I trusted his .154 on Pop Music to get away with the 3 on payola there.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

9 science questions in 9 days to start the season? I know science is the most often asked category but this seems a bit much....looking back, there's an average of 16 science questions per season.

Despite that, got a 6(4)-6(5) tie yesterday, thankful my good TV score put the 0 there and I missed it (along with McQueen, which is a name I've heard but in no context I could remember).