Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by jeff6286 »

reddpen wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:40 am Anyone remember the LL Q that asked about Cher's swarthy trilogy? I can't find it among Pop Music questions or in the School of Rock ML, which I think it predates.
There was one in the 70s Music ML Final asking for the titles of all 3 songs. It did come up somewhere before, maybe in LLLive or a past championship. I can't find it googling the LL site but maybe one of the prelims in 2016-17 or the 2017 LLRC, which does not seem to have the questions archived on the site.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Can not believe I typed camshaft instead of crankshaft...

At least it didn’t cost me the win.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:24 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:18 am Having a weird season. I am third in TCA but only 14th in the standings. Probably doesn’t help I am playing terrible defense. They also seem to be defending me well. My best ever TCA score was 70 and TMP was 92, both in the same season. This time I am on pace for 75 TCA but only 83 TMP.

I had never heard of that island but got it right from knowing that Teddy Roosevelt won the Peace Prize in 1905 for ending that war.
My weird season is second in defense at .843, tied for 20th in TCA and tied for last in CAA. All good enough for 6th place. I'm a point ahead of Ali Hasan while Jared Hall & Jim Coury are down in the relegation zone.
Unless he creates an F level, I don’t have to worry about relegation this season. :lol:

In MD5-7, I got three right every day and won all three. I got four on MD8 and won again. I have gotten three right the last five days and went 1-3-1.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 am Can not believe I typed camshaft instead of crankshaft...

At least it didn’t cost me the win.
Maybe that helps explain the low get rate, as well as the driveshaft option if you overlook the "engine length". I was surprised that crankshaft only polled at 26%, and even my older brother missed it even though we both grew up among redneck gearheads. Hard to think of hot rod clues as "science", lol. Don't tell the NASCAR fans :lol:. The clue was beautifully crafted and the phrase "reciprocating linear force" is perfect, and may be a TI original.

I gave up my second Buckner loss in three days, and my defense is a pitiful 0.463. I played the Byzantine question against an opponent who was 0 for 46 in World History. I'm glad she got the 2 points off her first ever correct answer, but wish it was a 3 for her instead - I'm sure she has seen nothing but threes for the last 20 games or so. I gave it to the saddle point because I knew that would be a low get rate.

I've been off the grid somewhat a lot lately (cheers from the JBoard) and missed some TD's. The start of real J! games should get things back in the rut groove :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Trading Places is one of my favourite movies. Happy to go into the long weekend on a 2-win streak, considering my performance thus far has been rather shite.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I only got crankshaft because it was a question on Jeopardy relatively recently.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

My mind immediately went to cam shaft, although I should've paused and remembered that the cams control valve operation not engine drive. Oh well, didn't matter as I got a 0 on that one and still won 7(4)-5(4) to go into 2nd ( :o ) in my C rundle...
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:28 am
reddpen wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:40 amAnyone remember the LL Q that asked about Cher's swarthy trilogy? I can't find it among Pop Music questions or in the School of Rock ML, which I think it predates.
There was one in the 70s Music ML Final asking for the titles of all 3 songs. It did come up somewhere before, maybe in LLLive or a past championship. I can't find it googling the LL site but maybe one of the prelims in 2016-17 or the 2017 LLRC, which does not seem to have the questions archived on the site.
'70s Music ML final is the one I was thinking of--thanks, Jeff.
In and out of the pool four times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of which, I believe we are still looking for volunteers to play-test 60s Music ML. Message me if interested.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:33 pm Trading Places is one of my favourite movies. Happy to go into the long weekend on a 2-win streak, considering my performance thus far has been rather shite.
Frozen concentrated orange juice.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Blue Lion wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:17 pm Frozen concentrated orange juice.
Pork bellies, which is used to make bacon, which you might find in a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich...

eddie_murphy_fourth_wall_break.jpg
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I expected a much higher get rate on Q1 yesterday (anchor). I can see putting "pundit," which was the MCWA at 14%, but that plus anchor at 42% gives 56%. I wonder what the other 44% came up with? This one seemed like a WECIB? type question to me.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 am I expected a much higher get rate on Q1 yesterday (anchor). I can see putting "pundit," which was the MCWA at 14%, but that plus anchor at 42% gives 56%. I wonder what the other 44% came up with? This one seemed like a WECIB? type question to me.
I debated between pundit and correspondent, and went with the latter. Anchor just never occurred to me.

I gave up a 9(5) yesterday, with my opponent missing Minnesota. I thought of Minnesota myself but made a bad mistake and guessed Maryland.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

StevenH wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:11 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 am I expected a much higher get rate on Q1 yesterday (anchor). I can see putting "pundit," which was the MCWA at 14%, but that plus anchor at 42% gives 56%. I wonder what the other 44% came up with? This one seemed like a WECIB? type question to me.
I debated between pundit and correspondent, and went with the latter. Anchor just never occurred to me.

I gave up a 9(5) yesterday, with my opponent missing Minnesota. I thought of Minnesota myself but made a bad mistake and guessed Maryland.
You were thinking of Agnew and who? With Quayle and Pence already out, that left Humphrey, Agnew, Mondale, Bush, Gore, Cheney and Biden. I’d guess that Mondale and maybe Cheney would be the only wild cards in that bunch.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:59 am

You were thinking of Agnew and who? With Quayle and Pence already out, that left Humphrey, Agnew, Mondale, Bush, Gore, Cheney and Biden. I’d guess that Mondale and maybe Cheney would be the only wild cards in that bunch.
Maybe Nelson Rockefeller? Although he wasn't elected. I know the Rockefellers are pretty strongly associated with New York, but a couple have represented other states. Jay Rockefeller was governor of West Virginia.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Woof wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:59 am

I was thinking of Biden :oops:
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Chief Correspondent was my guess.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I said "showrunner". "Applied by an executive to a colleague" made me think the person in question was also an executive.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Moderator is what I thought, 1952 being an election year and all. Too clever for my own good.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Political analyst." This question for me was just, "What term for someone working in TV news was first used as such in 1952?" with nothing pointing me in any direction.