Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by Vermonter »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:47 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:59 am I'd never heard of Five Moons or the three women in that question, but I knew of only one set of famous Native American sisters, with or without a last name; luckily that set had a last name, and it was the correct answer. I'm not surprised to see the low get percentage. (I could name Maria but not Marjorie; I mainly knew Maria had a sister because Alex Trebek once BMSed a player who said, "Who is Tallchief?")
Exact same here. I was surprised that it's probably going to be the hardest question of the season (and that I got it). I knew Maria had a sister, and since those were the only Native American sisters I could name, I went with that.
+1. IMO this was not a classical music question
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

My first thought on yesterday's Q5 was Mankiller until I remembered that she was Cherokee. Eventually, I remembered that Maria Tallchief had a sister.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Mankiller here. I did not remember she was Cherokee--and for some reason thought she had a sister also involved in tribal politics.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:59 am I'd never heard of Five Moons or the three women in that question, but I knew of only one set of famous Native American sisters, with or without a last name; luckily that set had a last name, and it was the correct answer. I'm not surprised to see the low get percentage. (I could name Maria but not Marjorie; I mainly knew Maria had a sister because Alex Trebek once BMSed a player who said, "Who is Tallchief?")
Exactly how I got this too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

bomtr wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:55 pm Mankiller here. I did not remember she was Cherokee--and for some reason thought she had a sister also involved in tribal politics.
I thought I had a surprise get with Mankiller, who I know because the tribal politics are of regional interest here. The surprise was learning this was a Classical Music category :lol: . The name Mankiller is just made for use in a trivia contest, especially for a strong woman leader. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

When I first read yesterday's set I thought that I was going to end up with a 0(0), but Ockham clicked on the reread and my educated guesses of Christie and FIFA panned out. I ended up with a tie.

I guessed Turkmenistan for the former Soviet republic. I also guessed Charles Manson for Ozzy Osbourne.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

StevenH wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:51 am When I first read yesterday's set I thought that I was going to end up with a 0(0), but Ockham clicked on the reread and my educated guesses of Christie and FIFA panned out. I ended up with a tie.

I guessed Turkmenistan for the former Soviet republic. I also guessed Charles Manson for Ozzy Osbourne.
Pretty much the same here, except I knew FIFA. Somehow ended up with a 6(4)-4(4) win with educated guesses on Christie and Osbourne (occultist was my in, then I ended up remembering Mr. Crowley song) and a complete WAG on House for a word that would fit with each of the options. Peter principle jumped in my head and I guess I always figured Ockhams Razor was named after a person. Guessed Tajikistan for no real reason, not sure how one was supposed to get that one without simply knowing it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am
StevenH wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:51 am I guessed Turkmenistan for the former Soviet republic. I also guessed Charles Manson for Ozzy Osbourne.
Guessed Tajikistan for no real reason, not sure how one was supposed to get that one without simply knowing it.
MCWA here of Moldova which...geographically, feels obvious, but it's always been Estonia and not even close
https://www.reinisfischer.com/populatio ... viet-union
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am
Pretty much the same here, except I knew FIFA. Somehow ended up with a 6(4)-4(4) win with educated guesses on Christie and Osbourne (occultist was my in, then I ended up remembering Mr. Crowley song) and a complete WAG on House for a word that would fit with each of the options. Peter principle jumped in my head and I guess I always figured Ockhams Razor was named after a person. Guessed Tajikistan for no real reason, not sure how one was supposed to get that one without simply knowing it.
Ockham’s razor was named after a person: William of Ockham, a 14th C Franciscan friar. I thought about Estonia but went with Turkmenistan. In retrospect I wish I’d gone for a BWA attempt of Kyrgyzstan.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
classicroadster wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am I thought about Estonia but went with Turkmenistan. In retrospect I wish I’d gone for a BWA attempt of Kyrgyzstan.
This went over my head. Explanation please
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

My drug fiend was Keith Richards. Didn't even think of Ozzy Osbourne.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I feel like I got pretty lucky yesterday with my 7(5)-6(5) victory. I thought I was only going to get credited for four correct, because I put "FIFA World Cup" for Q4. The other one I missed was Estonia (I put Tajikistan).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:48 am
classicroadster wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am I thought about Estonia but went with Turkmenistan. In retrospect I wish I’d gone for a BWA attempt of Kyrgyzstan.
Since I answered Kyrgyzstan (and it's relatively close to having been the right answer), I'm curious about this. It certainly wasn't meant by me as a BWA. Did you maybe mean MCWA (which it wasn't)?
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

My drug fiend was Willie Nelson...... :lol:

Got Estonia, mostly thanks to the World Geography game app I'm addicted to. I knew the population was less than 2 million, which matched up the percentages, and knew Moldova was larger than that. Didn't really think of other options as plausible.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

At least this season I don't have to worry about whether or not I'm going to be relegated. I'm far enough above the cut line to be safe.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Jesus, this has been a season. 1-5-1 in my first 7 (the 1 being a 9(6) victory), a couple of squeaker wins in the last couple days (like a 2(3)-1(2)), then out of nowhere I get a 9(5) yesterday, my one miss being Ockham.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:55 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:48 am
Since I answered Kyrgyzstan (and it's relatively close to having been the right answer), I'm curious about this. It certainly wasn't meant by me as a BWA. Did you maybe mean MCWA (which it wasn't)?
Oh, c’mon guys! Have you never played any Sporcle quizzes?
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I hadn't heard of any of those plays but got lucky with the context clues in their titles and came up with "House"

Another "Moldova" here. I was waffling between Kyrgyzstan and Moldova. At least I was able to have all 14 post-Soviet states correct in my head before making the guess. So I'll take that as a partial win. Tough question. As for those asking why Kyrgyzstan would be a BWA, it is a big meme on Sporcle. It often comes up in quizzes. I think because of its difficulty to spell for us English speakers.

I had Occam down but didn't think it was a town so I put "Westminster" as I thought all of London was within Surrey. Apparently Greater London is its own county.

I should have applied Occam's Razor in this case.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Through 24 Match days I have now broken my record for most match points in a season, have tied my record for most correct answers in a season, and am 1 shy of tying my record for most 3-pointers in a season.

Thanks to yesterday's loss, I also just dropped into the relegation zone, and am now threatened to end up back in a B rundle, for the first time in 3 years.

Things just got real, yo.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I dunno; this meme business seems to have gotten out of control. I guess Kyrgyzstan could vie for a BWA if the question were something like name a small American state, but otherwise ... meh.

I'm proud of how deeply I had to reach to come up with Lumumba. I couldn't get Kabila or Mobutu out of head and took all day (and a few runs through the alphabet) before something finally sparked and I came up with him. Alas, it only got me a 6(5)-6(4) tie since my opponent somehow came up with Bonheur, who I don't think I've ever heard of. Plus I don't recognize either of those two pictures, even after seeing them.