Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:23 pm
reddpen wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:40 pm
MD9Q1: What is the term, which originated in a 1938 article in Variety magazine and is associated historically with disc jockeys, for a secret or indirect transfer of funds for a commercial favor (such as the promotion of a particular record)?
Non-BWA:
Spoiler
Playdough
Actual BWA: none
I like that one.
MD10Q5: Specialized cardiac muscle fibers in mammalian hearts that conduct impulses from the atria to the ventricles are an atrioventricular "Bundle" named what? It is present in females as well as males (as it's named after the Swiss cardiologist who discovered it).
Non-BWA:
Spoiler
HEARTBERN
NOT ASKING DIRECTIONS
The first one is quite good. The second, meh ...
Actual BWA (not funny, y'ask me):
Spoiler
PROGRESSIVE HOME AND AUTO
I don't understand that in the least.
It's a play off 'bundle'.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7DZy/progressiv ... he-bundles
There's a whole series of these...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Relegated to B! How will I ever survive? (I'll spend the offseason waiting to see if the Commissioner has to rejigger the rundle assignments and I end up back in A anyway... in addition to doing 1960s Music and the other two MLs.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:32 pm It's a play off 'bundle'.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7DZy/progressiv ... he-bundles
There's a whole series of these...
Ah, OK. Still not funny.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:53 pm As one of the smiths, I am obliged to note that registration has opened for the 1960s Music ML. Hopefully people will be challenged and enjoy.
I hope this as well!
econgator wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:36 pm (Looks like Vermonter might be one of the main smiths?)
Yes, I am one of the head honchos. Currently we're in the midst of implementing suggestions from playtesting and finalizing the full slate of questions.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:29 pm 5 out of 6 on the samples, looks like you all might just hit that magical ModKos PG.
Having played several 1DSes and MLs that claimed to be PG but turned out to be much harder (and thus much less enjoyable, IMO), I wanted to take special care to ensure this ML was accessible, particularly since almost everyone has some familiarity with the topic.

Obviously, people who have deeper knowledge will be at an advantage, but I think we've found good, fun ways to keep it interesting for everyone; for example, all of the questions we end up using will have passed the "Who gives a crap?" test, and there are very very few stone cold YEKIOYDs.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

trainman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:47 pm Relegated to B! How will I ever survive? (I'll spend the offseason waiting to see if the Commissioner has to rejigger the rundle assignments and I end up back in A anyway... in addition to doing 1960s Music and the other two MLs.)
Glad you'll be joining us in 1960s Music!

Sorry about the relegation — unfortunately, Rule 10.4 will keep you from getting bumped up (probably… I haven't heard of any exceptions, though)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

kerryoakie wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:22 am Finished out my rookie season in 10th, which is good enough for a D promotion in a very small rundle (18 total). I look forward to joining twelvefootboy's C/D/E private rundle next season!
We had a lot of action among our humble six person rundle (ETA - 13 lead changes!), and we look forward to next season 8-) .

Congratulations to Armandillo for hanging on to the win and you sure brought in some eclectic knowledge in holes that we didn't know we had :).

As if Thorsten's stats aren't enough, we gotta go all Moneyball on this:

Days in the lead:
Armandillo - 11 (8, 11, 16-20, 22-25)
twelvefootboy - 8 (1-4, 6, 7, 9, 12)
classicroadster - 6 (5, 10, 13-15, 21)

Singletons (solo gets from the six members, probably got mistakes in my quick survey):
Armandillo - 9 (Egypt, SonyLighthouse, Salieri, Metallica, Popstar/Greece, Rag, ZoraNeal Hurston, Chicago, Estonia)
classicroadster - 9 (O2, Jamie Lee Curtis, Chesapeake Bay, Dizzy Gilespie, Russia/Japan, St. Vincent, Western Sahara, Reebok, Sophomore)
twelvefootboy - 5 (Paris (plaster of), Mugabe, saddle point, Xerox, Pascal)
KendrickCM - 3 (Gullah/GeeChee, Caterpillar, Alexander McQueen)
Meares-JonesR - 2 (Redford/Fonda, Rear Window)

The JBL rundle was skunked on 14 questions (too boring to list)
The JBL rundle swept 3 questions (Maltese Falcon, whitewash fence, Agathie Christie)

I was manhandled by classicroadster and managed only the single tie in the last of five matches to help spoil his shot at Armandillo :evil: . CR finished second, as the upstart rookie Meares-Jones handled both of us n our matches with great defense to take third, and I was way back at fourth.

I'll post here whenever I am in position to open LL87 JBoardlite rundle. I plan to give the alumni a head start to reserve slots, and will PM KerryOakie and anyone else who wants to let me know they want backstage passes. I hope the big kids had fun in their JBoardom rundle with all their six packs and such :lol:. I'm sure their singleton list is actually just that - one singleton in 150 questions :roll: .

Thanks to the rundlemates for the season - hope we get the band back together for LL87 and some new talent to help our skunk count!
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:09 am
Obviously, people who have deeper knowledge will be at an advantage, but I think we've found good, fun ways to keep it interesting for everyone; for example, all of the questions we end up using will have passed the "Who gives a crap?" test, and there are very very few stone cold YEKIOYDs.
Right here, this is why I don't like a lot of 1DS or ML; this is why I signed up for this one.

Having never smithed for LL myself, I wonder how realistic it would be for 1DS to have "championship" versions and "lite" versions with the lite ones having questions tossed because they were too easy, so us mere mortals might get to enjoy a category we aren't totally comfortable with.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 pm Congrats to sometime-boardie Troy Meyer on another LL championship! 11 correct on both round 3 and 4 in this championship is just plain ridiculous.
Speaking of ridiculous, I happened to be checking some things on the LL website and I ended up on his profile. He's been around since LL55 and he STILL has not hit 100 losses. It's no wonder this is his 3rd scarf.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:09 am
alietr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:53 pm As one of the smiths, I am obliged to note that registration has opened for the 1960s Music ML. Hopefully people will be challenged and enjoy.
I hope this as well!
econgator wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:36 pm (Looks like Vermonter might be one of the main smiths?)
Yes, I am one of the head honchos. Currently we're in the midst of implementing suggestions from playtesting and finalizing the full slate of questions.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:29 pm 5 out of 6 on the samples, looks like you all might just hit that magical ModKos PG.
Having played several 1DSes and MLs that claimed to be PG but turned out to be much harder (and thus much less enjoyable, IMO), I wanted to take special care to ensure this ML was accessible, particularly since almost everyone has some familiarity with the topic.

If the samples are even mildly representative, then you have succeeded very well. I don't know who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp but I might guess who shot Liberty Valance. It just looks like it will be fun! Thanks for your work, I can't imagine how hard it is to build all these clues.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Luck scores out!
My ∆Luck ended up being middle of the road, but my ∆Defense was crazy awesome.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 am Sorry about the relegation — unfortunately, Rule 10.4 will keep you from getting bumped up (probably… I haven't heard of any exceptions, though)
Fingers crossed that this is the season with "significant player realignment"!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:45 pm
boson wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 pm Congrats to sometime-boardie Troy Meyer on another LL championship! 11 correct on both round 3 and 4 in this championship is just plain ridiculous.
Speaking of ridiculous, I happened to be checking some things on the LL website and I ended up on his profile. He's been around since LL55 and he STILL has not hit 100 losses. It's no wonder this is his 3rd scarf.
4th.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:51 am
econgator wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:45 pm
4th.
Oops
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Hi everyone — just a bump to remind you that registration for our 1960s Music ML could close as early as Sunday morning (it starts Thursday). Here's the link: https://learnedleague.com/register.php?1960smusic

Hope to see you there!

WilliamsK
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Damn! I was really looking forward to this one but somehow forgot to register. Any chance to get in as a last minute replacement or something like that?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Only 55% got jelly beans for the Reagan portrait? :roll: I got a zero on that one while wasting a 0 on defense there.

Relax, it's the Presidents in Pop Culture mini league and you did not miss the start of a new season.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Totally blanked on registering for the 60's ML. Oh well, I'll play along, 1st day was fun already.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

mennoknight wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:26 am Totally blanked on registering for the 60's ML. Oh well, I'll play along, 1st day was fun already.
Careful! It’s still live.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Well, blast, thought I'd get a win with five correct in the '60s ML yesterday, but lost 9(6)-8(5). I missed "Bye Bye Birdie." Figured "seed" was a hint, but never thought of it. Five people got all six right in my group, so it could be a tough one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Even though it's now October this is still the right place to post comments about the '60s Music ML?

My opponent 9(6)ed me and her profile for career percentages has me thinking she would do well on J! other than wagering. :) https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?16858