Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:53 am Even though it's now October this is still the right place to post comments about the '60s Music ML?

My opponent 9(6)ed me and her profile for career percentages has me thinking she would do well on J! other than wagering. :) https://www.learnedleague.com/profiles.php?16858
Unless she’s cheating and knows that math is the least used category, and purposely tanks it to avoid cheating accusations :lol:

Then her wagering should be superb :D
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:28 pm Well, blast, thought I'd get a win with five correct in the '60s ML yesterday, but lost 9(6)-8(5). I missed "Bye Bye Birdie." Figured "seed" was a hint, but never thought of it. Five people got all six right in my group, so it could be a tough one.
Apparently, I embed hints into my questions without even realizing it. :o
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:53 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:28 pm Well, blast, thought I'd get a win with five correct in the '60s ML yesterday, but lost 9(6)-8(5). I missed "Bye Bye Birdie." Figured "seed" was a hint, but never thought of it. Five people got all six right in my group, so it could be a tough one.
Apparently, I embed hints into my questions without even realizing it. :o
You're good! :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My opponent in the Music ML today is RutterB.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

I almost un-registered from the 60's Music ML when I couldn't answer a single one of the sample questions but I'm glad I didn't. So far, there's only been a few I cold didn't know (Walden, Born to be Wild, and Blue Moon) and most of the others I've been able to puzzle out. Good stuff!
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

No offense to all the boardies involved, but I didn't sign up for the 60s music. It would not have been an enjoyable experience for me, though my opponents may have enjoyed easy wins every day. But looking at the questions every day, they look well-written. Great job!

I am having tons of fun puzzling out the Stuff....or else ML. I know nothing of music theory or heavy metal, but was able to suss out several answers each day due to the 'or else' clues. My group is crazy tough--5 A rundlers plus a rookie who dominated his rundle and the ML thus 7far, but it's still fun.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm going to have a tough road getting to the championship. I've only missed one question over the first three match days, yet I'm still in fourth place in my group. :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:17 am I'm going to have a tough road getting to the championship. I've only missed one question over the first three match days, yet I'm still in fourth place in my group. :(
Mini-leagues are always weird. In my group, I have only 8 TCA, but with my 1.000 DE, I have a 2-1 record and am in 5th (not that I'll finish there). I'm ahead of people with 11, 12, and 14 TCA. I think the worst-off in my group is the person in 10th, who despite 10 TCA, 10 TMP, and a .625 DE is just behind a person with 3 TCA, 2 TMP, and a .400 DE!
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I'm getting killed in the 60s music league. Only 7 correct through 4 days.

Oh well. I'm just using it as a learning experience I guess.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:02 am I'm getting killed in the 60s music league. Only 7 correct through 4 days.

Hopefully an entertaining one as well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:09 am
bluejaylink wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:02 am I'm getting killed in the 60s music league. Only 7 correct through 4 days.

It is quite entertaining!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I made one unlucky switch from Marvelettes to Martha and the Vandellas, but I dodged a similar bullet the next round. I was about to swap the Year 9595 for 9525, only to discover that my answer had already been marked right the night before. Hawaii 5-0 also bounced back nicely from not being a reality show one night to helping the Ventures make the charts on the next.

I'd also considered "If I had a hammer" for Elvis's controversial protest song, though I went with Abraham, Martin and John. And I probably wouldn't have guessed Alice('s restaurant) for 35th and Vine if I'd been reading the daily recaps, though both these latter were out of my reach anyway.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:36 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:17 am I'm going to have a tough road getting to the championship. I've only missed one question over the first three match days, yet I'm still in fourth place in my group. :(
Mini-leagues are always weird. In my group, I have only 8 TCA, but with my 1.000 DE, I have a 2-1 record and am in 5th (not that I'll finish there). I'm ahead of people with 11, 12, and 14 TCA. I think the worst-off in my group is the person in 10th, who despite 10 TCA, 10 TMP, and a .625 DE is just behind a person with 3 TCA, 2 TMP, and a .400 DE!
It's always a little crazy. Yesterday my opponent missed the question I gave zero defense to (Bee Gees) and I missed the question they assigned zero to (Where Have All the Flowers Gone?). Luckily they also missed two other questions, too, so I still won.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:09 am

Oh it's definitely still fun. And I'm probably not quite as hopeless in this category as my results so far show.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Yesterday was my best day in the Music ML. When I submitted I thought I had 5 right even though I put Gypsy, potion-seller for the Love Potion #9 clue.

Result: A Buckner loss :roll:
L 4(4)-5(2)

I dreaded the clue on reading it thinking it would be about some producer or studio. Then I opened the map and saw some of my favorite song lyrics ever. I know every word and chord of this song, and the "bent, down, turned around, and gave me a wink" is one of my favorite lines ever. (Next best is about every line of Statler Brothers "Counting flowers on the Wall").

But I forgot the question and was trying to name the type of business. Madam Ruth isn't a business type. But they only wanted the lady :(

I gave the BeeGees a 3 pointer because I didn't know they were around that long.

It's been a fun ML, and there is something at every level each day. I even like the way the audio clues sound like they are coming over a '48 Packard AM radio (If this isn't intentional, no malice intended :)).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:23 amIt's been a fun ML, and there is something at every level each day. I even like the way the audio clues sound like they are coming over a '48 Packard AM radio (If this isn't intentional, no malice intended :)).
Thanks! The sound effect was intentional, but when it comes up again, it'll be toned down, as it was causing issues for some players
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.