Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by boson »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:46 am Name any one of the four solo albums released by the members of the rock band Kiss in 1978. Note, each title has two words, and a full title is required.

I have a bit of an issue with this one; so many times when someone leaves a band for a side project, or new permanent project, it is known as their "solo" project.

I went with Frehley's Comet, ended with a loss instead of a tie. OK, he had a band, but Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is known as a solo album, even though Toto did much of the "band" work.

Thoughts?
I think the problem with Frehley's Comet is that it is a 1987 album, not a 1978 album. I don't think the fact that it was a band rather than a solo act was the reason your answer was incorrect.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

"costume designer" barely got a glance from me as I joined the wrong masses with "... fat lady sings"

I got 3 for naming a member of Kiss to ace the question even if my spelling was off. Starting the day with a 5(4)-4(4) is fun.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:26 am
triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:46 am Name any one of the four solo albums released by the members of the rock band Kiss in 1978. Note, each title has two words, and a full title is required.

I have a bit of an issue with this one; so many times when someone leaves a band for a side project, or new permanent project, it is known as their "solo" project.

I went with Frehley's Comet, ended with a loss instead of a tie. OK, he had a band, but Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is known as a solo album, even though Toto did much of the "band" work.

Thoughts?
I don't see what your issue is.

I kicked myself for never letting it cross my mind that the albums might be named after the artists, especially since "each title has two words, and a full title is required" struck me as odd before I tossed it aside without a second thought.
because that is a two-word title of a solo album
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:43 am

Thoughts?
I think the problem with Frehley's Comet is that it is a 1987 album, not a 1978 album. I don't think the fact that it was a band rather than a solo act was the reason your answer was incorrect.
well there's possibly the mother of all RTFQs!!!!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:21 am

Thoughts?
Regardless of the year not fitting the question, I still think the argument you're trying to make is absurd. Yes there is a difference between a solo album and a band album, and the name of the artist as listed on the album is pretty much what determines it, I would say. I don't think anyone has ever been under the impression that a singer with a "solo" album had to play all the instruments.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:30 am

Thoughts?
Regardless of the year not fitting the question, I still think the argument you're trying to make is absurd. Yes there is a difference between a solo album and a band album, and the name of the artist as listed on the album is pretty much what determines it, I would say. I don't think anyone has ever been under the impression that a singer with a "solo" album had to play all the instruments.
Which would be exactly why prior to getting hit with a RTFQ moment, my argument was Frehley's Comet was a solo album--nothing absurd about that at all.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:18 am

Thoughts?
Which would be exactly why prior to getting hit with a RTFQ moment, my argument was Frehley's Comet was a solo album--nothing absurd about that at all.
Frehley's Comet is the name of his band. It's not a solo album. Not sure what I'm missing here.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:27 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:18 am

Frehley's Comet is the name of his band. It's not a solo album. Not sure what I'm missing here.
that's it's also considered to be a solo album
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

That match was the KISS of death for me. Three points. It also didn't help that I had a brain freeze and answered "femto-" instead of "nano-". At least it counts as only one loss.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I came up with Dave's Deluxe for the Wendy's question. I knew Wendy's had something called that at one time and, in fact, it was pretty similar to the Baconator. Only 1/4 lb of beef, though.
https://youtu.be/0079BsZnrnM
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I had a baconator Wed night...nice to have a layup like that. Third win in a row to move into the top 5 in my 38 person rundle.

Meanwhile, the 12 foot boy is killing us all in the C/D/E private rundle...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:07 pm I had a baconator Wed night...nice to have a layup like that. Third win in a row to move into the top 5 in my 38 person rundle.

Meanwhile, the 12 foot boy is killing us all in the C/D/E private rundle...
Good job cracking the promotion zone. I think I'll be able to work my way back to D. I'm in first right now but I play 3rd place then 2nd place the next two days.

At 10-9-9-9, we are in a virtual four way tie for the lead. I'm proud of twelvefootsis for making her way into second for our virtual tie and avenging the 7(4)-4(4) beatdown you gave me in our head to head :lol: . I wasted a zero on a clam chowder clue to a northeasterner and you missed it :o . Good match, well played, and you had no way to guess I'd heard a long NPR piece on Mugabe just lately. I couldn't judge if those Heart songs were well known or not.

The season has gone good for me except MD3, but I've had some unforced errors lately, and need to tighten up. Failed to read one question, failed to read.every.word. on another, etc.. See you in MD10!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Australian female tennis star from many decades ago = Margaret Court. I thought I had that for sure.

Couldn't think of Pomeranian and knew there was a toy breed of a Schnauzer so I went with that.

I was deciding between The Pips and The Miracles. Apparently the Miracles were Motown.

I thought I had a shot at getting my first 9(6) but ended up with a 3(3) and a loss. Ouch.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bluejaylink wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:14 am Australian female tennis star from many decades ago = Margaret Court. I thought I had that for sure.

Couldn't think of Pomeranian and knew there was a toy breed of a Schnauzer so I went with that.

I was deciding between The Pips and The Miracles. Apparently the Miracles were Motown.

I thought I had a shot at getting my first 9(6) but ended up with a 3(3) and a loss. Ouch.
I thought I was set for a 9(6) as well, but I also said Margaret Court (apparently her married name)—I solidified in my mind fairly recently that she was Australian. Otherwise I have no doubt I would have guessed Goolagong. My other mistake was seeing that three of the muscles had "vastus" in their names, and drawing the conclusion that the gluteus maximus was the answer. As for the backing group, I made an Atlanta -> "Midnight Train to Georgia" connection and got it (without noticing one of the guys was named Knight).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:16 am
bluejaylink wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:14 am Australian female tennis star from many decades ago = Margaret Court. I thought I had that for sure.

I thought I was set for a 9(6) as well, but I also said Margaret Court (apparently her married name)—I solidified in my mind fairly recently that she was Australian. Otherwise I have no doubt I would have guessed Goolagong. My other mistake was seeing that three of the muscles had "vastus" in their names, and drawing the conclusion that the gluteus maximus was the answer. As for the backing group, I made an Atlanta -> "Midnight Train to Georgia" connection and got it (without noticing one of the guys was named Knight).

Her married name is Margaret Court Smith. In case it ever comes up, she lost a match to Bobby Riggs a few months before he lost to Billie Jean King.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:38 am
I thought I was set for a 9(6) as well, but I also said Margaret Court (apparently her married name)—I solidified in my mind fairly recently that she was Australian. Otherwise I have no doubt I would have guessed Goolagong.

Her married name is Margaret Court Smith. In case it ever comes up, she lost a match to Bobby Riggs a few months before he lost to Billie Jean King.
No, Smith is her maiden name.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Both my opponent and I messed up on defense yesterday, as I got a 9(5)-4(3) win. Count me as another one who fell into the gluteus maximus trap on the quadriceps question. That one was a forehead slapper!

I had no idea on the caterpillar question and was about to submit with "mole" as my answer, but the big time hint in parenthesis at the end clicked with me just in time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

UGH! A 7(5)-8(5) loss. We 3ed each other on Pomerania. I did not get quads for 2 and he did not get 1 for Goolagong even though Games/Sports was 2nd best at .708. My bad as I should have known that tennis Q was not going to be as easy for others as it was for me.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:28 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:38 am
I thought I was set for a 9(6) as well, but I also said Margaret Court (apparently her married name)—I solidified in my mind fairly recently that she was Australian. Otherwise I have no doubt I would have guessed Goolagong.

No, Smith is her maiden name.
What has gotten lost in the shuffle is this surprising tidbit:
The first (and still only) mother to become Wimbledon ladies' singles champion in the open era

Of course this meant Serena hasn't won since mommyhood, but that is only two losses so far. I thought about Goolagong but didn't remember her maternal status, so Court it was (not).

MD8 was a fun set of questions, and very gettable at least for Baby Boomers ( Pips and Goolagong could easily be NHO's for working age people). I did poorly, only getting quads and the Pips wag. I figured Ali (eta: I mean the airport clue, I know about the Louisville Lip) wasn't gettable without knowledge of the airport, but there was plenty of help if you read.every.word.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:21 pm I figured Ali wasn't gettable without knowledge of the airport, but there was plenty of help if you read.every.word.
If it mentions Louisville, KY, it's almost certainly Ali.