Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Learned League 86 - Aug/Sep 2020

Post by seaborgium »

Another defensive failure for me—6(5)-6(3).
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Same here. 6(4)-7(4).
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Had Elizabeth, but somehow thought that the full name was Elizabethtown.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

9(6)-9(6) tie for me. I suspect there were a lot of those in the A rundles.
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

My first two rounds were losses. I got 5 right on each (missed O2 and Paris), but both opponents went 9(6). Not the best start!
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Kosmanned George Burns and Bob Hope, and for the chemical compound named for a town, I went straight to Epsom (for Epsom salts) and never gave it a second thought.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:33 pm Kosmanned George Burns and Bob Hope, and for the chemical compound named for a town, I went straight to Epsom (for Epsom salts) and never gave it a second thought.
I went to Portland for Portland cement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:33 pm for the chemical compound named for a town, I went straight to Epsom (for Epsom salts) and never gave it a second thought.
You may commiserate with a lady named Harris.
I'm smart and I want respect.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I guess I should look where my opponent is from on geography questions.

I'm Canadian and had never heard of Elizabeth, New Jersey but I now see my opponent was from Brooklyn, New York. Spotted him a free 3 points haha
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Three MDs into the season and I've already lost out on 2 coin flips, first by picking dactylic over iambic and then by changing my guess on the wine from port to Madeira. The former didn't affect the outcome of my match, but the latter ended up being the difference between a win and a loss.

And I'm really surprised that the question on the Coptic church played a bit harder than the Japanese literature question.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I was originally thinking to try a wrong answer of "Soccer Night in England" but it was more 'heh' funny and not 'HA HA!' funny so I ditched it and just went with something boring (but also wrong)

If I only knew how close I was...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

bluejaylink wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:27 pm I guess I should look where my opponent is from on geography questions.

I'm Canadian and had never heard of Elizabeth, New Jersey but I now see my opponent was from Brooklyn, New York. Spotted him a free 3 points haha
I'm still a greenhorn, but in mentoring 3 rookies last season, I've gained some perspective, my two cents worth:

1) go ahead and profile based on gender and location. This bugs me as a lifelong feminist, but it's gotta work both ways. Cooking and children's literature to males, sports to females - make'em prove it. Geography questions, as you have already picked up on, you sometimes get an edge on the house. Hockey to a Canadian, that's a zero :lol:.

2) the rookie rundles are populated with future A and B players as well as us lowly mortals. Don't despair at the occasional beatdown, and if you are the one delivering them, just wait... Thorsten will fix that :evil: .

3) It's easy to get a high Defensive score against a six-pack at the high end or a bagel or singleton. I haven't squared the circle for defense down here in the trenches. I'm sometimes afraid to give 2's or 3's for my WAG's that are probably wrong, but still obvious guesses that you'd hate to give away points for.

I can tell you already are getting a mojo for the game. The previous history is a big help, but some of the questions are cross pollinated with clues to help from other directions. Have fun, and hope to see you in JBoardLite next season, at least until you graduate into the septagon that is the JBoardom group :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:10 pm It's easy to get a high Defensive score against a six-pack at the high end or a bagel or singleton.
Your defensive score by definition is unaffected by bagels and six-packs. It's expressed as 1 minus the quotient of total unforced points scored by your opponents over total unforced points available.* There are no unforced points available when one gets nothing right, or when one gets everything right. Those circumstances add 0 to the dividend and to the divisor.

*Or you can dispense with subtracting from 1 and call Defensive Efficiency the quotient of unearned unforced points over unforced points available. I just thought the above was a clearer way of putting it.

And a singleton is just as easy to defend against as five right; either way one can earn up to 3 points beyond the minimum. 3 right is the hardest to defend against.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

To further Sg's post, here's the spread for each # correct.

0 or 6 correct -- no change to DE
1 correct -- min: 0(1), max 3(1) -- 3 pts
2 correct -- min 1(2), max 5(2) -- 4 pts
3 correct -- min 2(3), max 7(3) -- 5 pts
4 correct -- min 4(4), max 8(4) -- 4 pts
5 correct -- min 6(5), max 9(5) -- 3 pts

So, someone who gives up a 3(3) every game will end up with an .800 DE, while someone who gives up a 1(1) -- or a 7(5) -- every game would end up with a .667 DE.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I'm personally surprised that I'm 2/2 in sports so far this season. Luckily the O2 is more than just a sports venue and I've heard Hockey Night In Canada referenced numerous times in other media.

This should course correct by season's end.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I am deeply, deeply ashamed to have gotten the HNIC question wrong. It's probably the 'show' I've watched more than any other broadcast.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:17 am To further Sg's post, here's the spread for each # correct.

0 or 6 correct -- no change to DE
1 correct -- min: 0(1), max 3(1) -- 3 pts
2 correct -- min 1(2), max 5(2) -- 4 pts
3 correct -- min 2(3), max 7(3) -- 5 pts
4 correct -- min 4(4), max 8(4) -- 4 pts
5 correct -- min 6(5), max 9(5) -- 3 pts

So, someone who gives up a 3(3) every game will end up with an .800 DE, while someone who gives up a 1(1) -- or a 7(5) -- every game would end up with a .667 DE.
Thanks for the embellishment.Sg and you confirm my intuition that it is a lot more volatile here in the middle of the pack. I think it would be an interesting wrinkle in a private rundle to mutually agree to play to give away the most points. Looking at the challenge in reverse might give some insight to regular play. But probably not...
seaborgium wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:01 am

*Or you can dispense with subtracting from 1 and call Defensive Efficiency the quotient of unearned unforced points over unforced points available. I just thought the above was a clearer way of putting it.
Thanks for the edification. I wanted to make a joke about dividing by zero but my brain is dead from Donald Trump Junior's Kool-Aid.

There may be deeper dives out there, but I've looked at a couple of league results and it seems like about half of the promotions/relegations are determined by TCA, and about half by better defense. In my case, I had bad defense (17th percentile), and epic bad CAA luck of the draw (77th worst in the league).

In a bigger sample size with classicroadster (25 games), I think we each lost a couple of games we could have won and won a couple of games we should have lost. The final score was pretty proportionate to our TCAs.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I tried for a BWA for the Netflix film stars who had also been in The Chase et al: LabbettM and HegertyA.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:47 am I tried for a BWA for the Netflix film stars who had also been in The Chase et al: LabbettM and HegertyA.
I joked with my pub trivia pals that I got 5.5 right yesterday: could pull Fonda from Electric Horseman but couldn’t get Redford.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:55 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:47 am I tried for a BWA for the Netflix film stars who had also been in The Chase et al: LabbettM and HegertyA.
I joked with my pub trivia pals that I got 5.5 right yesterday: could pull Fonda from Electric Horseman but couldn’t get Redford.
had Redford, couldn't figure out the other one, went with McClaine

if not for having a serious shot, I'd have been right there with seaborgium
Total game show career losings = $171,522