FJs for the 5/8/02 - 5/14/02 M$M 2nd week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 5/8/02 - 5/14/02 games?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:06 pm

In his dictionary, Samuel Johnson self-effacingly defined this job title in part as "a harmless drudge"
48%
One of its title studies is Sen. Edmund Ross' 1868 vote against convicting President Andrew Johnson
73%
Number of males who served as British PM in the 1990s plus Oscars won by Tom Hanks plus protons in a helium nucleus
65%
In old philosophy this 12-letter word referred to a fifth substance, superior to earth, air, fire or water
33%
He was the only vice president to be elected to, & serve, 2 full terms as president
67%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
15%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
CHEMISTRY $2000: This "point" doesn't mean someone's being judgmental--it's where liquid & gaseous phases become identical
33%
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS $2000: The last British athlete to win the Olympic decathlon, he won it back-to-back in 1980 & 1984
23%
GENERAL SCIENCE $2000: In 1896 this French scientist accidentally discovered radioactivity while researching fluorescence
29%
I missed the SF3 FJ! clue with a number too high.
15%
I missed the SF3 FJ! clue with a number too low.
15%
Some form of the word "phlogiston" was the best I had for the F1 FJ! clue.
12%
Prior to this week I had seen all five Semifinals and Finals games from the M$M.
23%
At least one of the M$M Semifinals or Finals games was new to me to see this week.
52%
I plan to watch some or all of the College Championship from April rerun over the next two weeks.
29%

Total votes: 52

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 5/8/02 - 5/14/02 M$M 2nd week

Post by MarkBarrett »

5/8/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
IN THE DICTIONARY

5/8/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
In his dictionary, Samuel Johnson self-effacingly defined this job title in part as "a harmless drudge"

5/9/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PULITZER PRIZE-WINNING BOOKS

5/9/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
One of its title studies is Sen. Edmund Ross' 1868 vote against convicting President Andrew Johnson

5/10/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
KNOWLEDGE BY THE NUMBERS

5/10/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
Number of males who served as British PM in the 1990s plus Oscars won by Tom Hanks plus protons in a helium nucleus

5/13/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD HISTORIES

5/13/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  
In old philosophy this 12-letter word referred to a fifth substance, superior to earth, air, fire or water

5/14/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VICE PRESIDENTS

5/14/02 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE  He was the only vice president to be elected to, & serve, 2 full terms as president

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
lexicographer
Profiles in Courage
quintessence
Thomas Jefferson
The extra clues have three $2000 triple stumpers.

CHEMISTRY $2000: This "point" doesn't mean someone's being judgmental--it's where liquid & gaseous phases become identical

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS $2000: The last British athlete to win the Olympic decathlon, he won it back-to-back in 1980 & 1984

GENERAL SCIENCE $2000: In 1896 this French scientist accidentally discovered radioactivity while researching fluorescence

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
the critical point
Daley Thompson
Antoine Becquerel
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 5/8/02 - 5/14/02 M$M 2nd week

Post by MarkBarrett »

My notebook shows :( x 8 in 2002

I don't know what my problem was as some of the stuff should not have been that hard even back then. Perhaps I was too distracted watching the greats?

Seen all five back in the day of course.

I don't plan to watch any of the College Championship and won't be telling my DVR to record it. Still, I'll probably catch some of it with 10 opportunities to do so.

This timing of recent reruns with the delayed political conventions works out well compared to how it all looked in late 2019.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Saw all the original run.
Phlogiston
Not watching the College tourney
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :|

Saw these for the first time. Not planning to watch the college matches.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

2 + 2 + 2 = 6 is the only FJ that I know I got the first time I tried to solve it (reading it off J! Archive). I have the knowledge to get Jefferson without associating it with this tournament. Lexicographer and quintessence are a crapshoot (I recall my dad getting the latter in 2002, and he got it again this time around), and Profiles in Courage is something I know because it was the response to this FJ.

As with last week, I checked the "have seen" box because I believe I watched them all online at one point or another. I have incomplete memories of the original airing, so I can't be positive I took it all in then.

I don't specifically plan to watch the CC reruns, so I left that box unchecked, but it's likely I will.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :| :|

Mon - Etymologist (I was on the right track...wouldn't have made it down to Lexi tho)
Thu - Spluh

Triple point

All were new and don't plan to watch recent repeats
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Writer was the best I could come up with.

As with last week, I know I saw a game or two of this tournament years ago, but most of the games were new to me.
Planning to rewatch the college tournament, but if I miss it, oh well.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:

II wasn't gonna watch, but since the DVR called them new I had them, thought I would dip in, and enjoyed every one immensely...I'm reasonably sure I watched them all back in the day, but this week they were still new, to my conscious mind, at least. I have enough trouble remembering the facts they contain without retaining any details of gameplay... :D
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:10 pm I don't plan to watch any of the College Championship and won't be telling my DVR to record it. Still, I'll probably catch some of it with 10 opportunities to do so.
J! is being preempted entirely in Los Angeles for the next two weeks -- not the case in San Francisco?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

trainman wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:53 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:10 pm I don't plan to watch any of the College Championship and won't be telling my DVR to record it. Still, I'll probably catch some of it with 10 opportunities to do so.
J! is being preempted entirely in Los Angeles for the next two weeks -- not the case in San Francisco?
M-Th both weeks is convention stuff 7-8. 8-10 is ABC reruns of sitcoms and stuff like Holey Moley and To Tell the Truth except Wednesdays at 8 with new eps. of United We Fall. 10-11 those eight nights is J!/WoF. On both Fridays (21 & 28) Alex & Pat will air at regular times.

KOMO up north looks like my schedule except they get WoF first.

Perhaps yours down south will update and change their plans after the weekend?

Edited to add: Checked KABC and their schedule matches mine. That's not your station?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I didn’t start watching Trebek-era J! until KJ put it back on my radar screen (and parenthood giving me a reason to be home at 7:30). It was fun seeing Brad’s debut as a GOAT candidate. No interest in rewatching CC.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I could only guess about the FJ with helium, Tom Hanks, and PMs. I knew the first two cold and guessed 3 PMs, so my answer was 7 instead of the correct 6. That prevented a perfect 5-for-5 FJ week in the tournament semifinals and finals. Drat.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:21 pm Edited to add: Checked KABC and their schedule matches mine. That's not your station?
It's been updated since the last time I checked, and does match KGO. (What I'd seen previously was that they had local news listed from 8:00-9:00, and then ABC's prime-time programming from 9:00-11:00.)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Lucky guess on 2? + 2? + 2 = 6??
Couldn't pull Becquerel from recesses, went with Geiger and little confidence.
I love the quintessence clue, and had no idea. I'm weak on Presidents.

I haven't seen an ep since the last Covid taping aired, but may have to see if my DVR captured some of these for nostalgia value.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had no idea on the two I missed.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:08 pm I don't specifically plan to watch the CC reruns, so I left that box unchecked, but it's likely I will.
Well, my dad still prefers to watch them, so we've been watching my recordings from April at the usual air time so as not to have to wait out the preemption. And this has given me the opportunity two games in a row to become aware (or be reminded of) shortcomings in the original recordings, so I know in advance of the rerun airing that I need a better copy.

(Tuesday's episode I remember exactly what happened: I had a Zoom meeting at the time it was airing, so I was in my room with my recorder, but was distracted enough not to notice until just after 7 that the recording had failed to start, and I manually started it at 7:03. The Wednesday episode I watched as it aired after verifying the recorder was in fact recording, but I found tonight there was some sort of interference at the time, producing a file that was fully unwatchable for the first 5-6 minutes, and 90% watchable for the rest.)