Season 37 changes and predictions

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Season 37 changes and predictions

Post by Golf »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:08 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:10 pm A friend of mine got the call for September 30. She has to arrive at Sony at 7 am and will have to do her own hair and makeup. The contestants also will be mic'ing themselves. In other words, no close staff interaction at all.
Weird thought, but as a man...I would have absolutely no clue how to do makeup, but I do know that men commonly do wear makeup on TV. Granted, I imagine TV makeup might be a little different than "everyday" makeup for a woman, but I would guess (and I'm 100% guessing here) that the hair and makeup department could leave tips that women would understand, like "consider using a little more of this than you normally would" or "don't do this". Me? Left to my own devices, I fear I would wind up looking like Euphegenia Doubtfire.

Then again, men are Zooming in to TV news stations all the time and I doubt they're doing makeup, so I guess it's something that could be skipped.
When I had my makeup done, it was to make sure there wasn't too much shine from my face showing up on camera. I didn't care about that but they also slathered it on my hands because they zoomed in on those for the fastest finger questions. It felt horrible and I wiped all of it off on some scaffolding backstage just before walking on.

They did nothing with my hair.

I'd say both genders will do little differently than they normally do before going into the office. I also think that contestants should be focused on the competition at hand rather than how they might appear on camera.
davey

Post by davey »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:10 pm A friend of mine got the call for September 30. She has to arrive at Sony at 7 am and will have to do her own hair and makeup. The contestants also will be mic'ing themselves. In other words, no close staff interaction at all.
Weird thought, but as a man...I would have absolutely no clue how to do makeup, but I do know that men commonly do wear makeup on TV. Granted, I imagine TV makeup might be a little different than "everyday" makeup for a woman, but I would guess (and I'm 100% guessing here) that the hair and makeup department could leave tips that women would understand, like "consider using a little more of this than you normally would" or "don't do this". Me? Left to my own devices, I fear I would wind up looking like Euphegenia Doubtfire.

Then again, men are Zooming in to TV news stations all the time and I doubt they're doing makeup, so I guess it's something that could be skipped.
I imagine they're still employing a makeup person who will provide instruction and advice to men and women...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:37 am
Now, I'm wondering if someone like the Riverside player is at a disadvantage due to travel considerations?
Man... someone who lives in Riverside has disadvantages well beyond "travel considerations."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:37 am What time do you wake up and what time do you leave to drive to Culver City?

From Los Angeles?
Not all of the city of Los Angeles would be referred to as "Los Angeles" in a J! intro... but "Los Angeles" is still a big enough area that it could take one "Los Angeles" contestant five minutes to get from their home to the studio, and another "Los Angeles" contestant an hour to get there.
VaBanque
Contributor

Post by VaBanque »

I am wondering about something else, namely whether Poland (TVP) using "Va Banque" for its intro will have to use materials from the 1996-2003 version or the seasons after return in this yesr. I will add that both versions have different hosts.
So far, Poland has used the third version of the opening credits of season 36 of J! that is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-9h9sBbP1M / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJ2KVo9ZZk (start in 0:09 sec)
In Polish version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36_a9w-e_YA
It's new intro J! - start in 0:09 sec. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh8KX5YYGe4
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 pm
Weird thought, but as a man...I would have absolutely no clue how to do makeup, but I do know that men commonly do wear makeup on TV.
I imagine they're still employing a makeup person who will provide instruction and advice to men and women...
I suppose they could offer a choice. You could either do it yourself, or have the makeup person do it -- if you wear a mask while they do.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So since they're only picking Californians for now, I imagine that however long a wait exists for us out-of-staters in the pool will not count against the 18 months either?
goongas

Post by goongas »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 pm So since they're only picking Californians for now, I imagine that however long a wait exists for us out-of-staters in the pool will not count against the 18 months either?
I am in the same boat (pun intended) as you. I imagine they will deplete the out of town pool eventually, probably not at the exact 18 month mark, but not another year after that. (I don't think the current strict protocols will be lifted anytime soon). They may not want to judge prospective contestants from an audition that could have taken place two years ago (what if the person gained too much weight, is not attractive anymore, the information in the packet is out of date, etc.), when a different producing team was in charge.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

goongas wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 pm So since they're only picking Californians for now, I imagine that however long a wait exists for us out-of-staters in the pool will not count against the 18 months either?
I am in the same boat (pun intended) as you. I imagine they will deplete the out of town pool eventually, probably not at the exact 18 month mark, but not another year after that. (I don't think the current strict protocols will be lifted anytime soon). They may not want to judge prospective contestants from an audition that could have taken place two years ago (what if the person gained too much weight, is not attractive anymore, the information in the packet is out of date, etc.), when a different producing team was in charge.
I didn’t know fat ugly people weren’t allowed.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Corina's still there.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
pompetti

Post by pompetti »

Does your friend live in California?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 pm
I didn’t know fat ugly people weren’t allowed.
This is indeed unsettling news. :lol:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:59 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 pm
goongas wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:46 pm I didn’t know fat ugly people weren’t allowed.
This is indeed unsettling news. :lol:
Fat, ugly, and herring-breathed is no way to get on Jeopardy, son.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:08 am Given all of the extra space afforded by HDTV, I wish they'd keep the scores on the screen in a corner.
In a similar vein, why doesn't Wheel have an on-screen letter board?
OCSam
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:24 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:08 am Given all of the extra space afforded by HDTV, I wish they'd keep the scores on the screen in a corner.
Because on Wheel, if all three players lose their turn, they usually get edited out if it doesn't affect the scores, so if they had an on-screen letter board, then the viewers might notice letters suddenly disappearing.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:27 pm
OrangeSAM wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:24 pm
Because on Wheel, if all three players lose their turn, they usually get edited out if it doesn't affect the scores, so if they had an on-screen letter board, then the viewers might notice letters suddenly disappearing.
Really? I would think that might be noticeable if all three people lose a turn thanks to guessing wrong letters simply because of the "Why didn't s/he guess this letter?", especially early in the game. Although I guess if a new puzzle happens to not have any R, S, or Ts, and the first three attempts eliminate those letters, it's not all that strange for someone to guess L or N as a first letter.

Haven't watched Wheel in ages, except for a couple of episodes back when Pat was absent just to see how Vanna would do hosting. It's been so long that I noticed that they have a "new" thing where they at least flash any letter that's been guessed on the screen. Nice for hearing disabled people, or people in a restaurant idly watching Wheel...of course, back when we could go to restaurants.
AthenaTV

Post by AthenaTV »

Has anyone figured out what dates the episodes currently airing were recorded? It seems like they went back in August, but do we have it narrowed down more than that?
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

pompetti wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:54 pm
Does your friend live in California?
Sorry for the slow reply. Yes, she lives in the LA area. I think her episode will air sometime in December.