Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7925
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 am
Small question for our judges: Is "Orpheus" just as good as "L'Orfeo"?

Also, it feels so good to be back :D
It's hard to believe they'd turn down a straight translation. Hélas, my own response, inexplicably, was Orphée, the French version and leaving off a syllable needed to get by...Together with missing FJ it really screwed up my game... :roll:
BTW, I notice that both Cory and Alex left out the article L' in identifying the opera.
That's not uncommon, I think. Even the swanky types will sometimes leave off the article. What the swanky types won't do is refer to the opera by its name translated into English. So BrigadierSolo13, if you want to infiltrate the opera crowd, "Orpheus" won't do. It'll blow your cover. But for J! purposes, I agree that it's hard to argue against. It wouldn't surprise me if Alex's sheet even had it as an alternately acceptable response. So I say mark yourself correct in good conscience.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7925
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 am
John Boy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 pm

Franki guessed "thesis" which wasn't as good as their desired "topic" (which I got). But it doesn't seem exactly wrong either.
1. Was Franki negged for "thesis sentence?" All the years I was in h.s./college, "thesis sentence" was the preferred term. I know that was back when the earth was cooling, but no way is that term wrong....
I assume she was negged because thesis only fits one of the meanings given in the clue. It doesn’t really jive with “the subject at hand.” I was really thrown by the wording of the clue and got hung up on “this” being a demonstrative blah blah. I don’t think I’ve heard “topic sentence” in 40 years.
I was satisfied by econgator's explanation upthread, to wit:
econgator wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:44 pm
The thesis statement tells the main idea of the entire work, not a paragraph.

Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Philliesfan02 »

I loved Zach; sad he wasn't able to return.

Jeff was the best player, but the J! is two parts luck and one part luck.

Was 15/15 at first break for first time ever.

32 R/3 W
$24,400 coryat
DDs: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen: instaget

Lach Trash: Lake Placid, 1848

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Interesting how Alex said the champion would be back "in a few weeks"; not only will it be interesting to see if that time frame holds true, but how they go about doing that if it is.
I'm assuming they'll have to being him in as co-champ. Not sure how else they could do it. I'd guess they'll do it with a one game winner rather than a repeat champ.
I meant regarding the not being from LA situation; how would he know he will be back "in a few weeks" without knowing when someone from the east coast will be allowed on the show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7341
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Interesting how Alex said the champion would be back "in a few weeks"; not only will it be interesting to see if that time frame holds true, but how they go about doing that if it is.
I'm assuming they'll have to being him in as co-champ. Not sure how else they could do it. I'd guess they'll do it with a one game winner rather than a repeat champ.
I meant regarding the not being from LA situation; how would he know he will be back "in a few weeks" without knowing when someone from the east coast will be allowed on the show.
Well, "few" is pretty nebulous. What constitutes a few out of 46? 3 out of 10 is likely safe to call a few, so does that let us say 14 is a few weeks out of 46?

Totally called the 1849 neg. Did not expect everyone else to miss it. You're all local, even! :lol:

Celtic Cross was an amusing get given I saw The Quiet Man on Sunday.

Started with Parthenon, then, wait, no no no, the other one. Pantheon.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

goongas
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by goongas »

Started with Parthenon, then, wait, no no no, the other one. Pantheon.
I almost always say Parthenon, even though I have been inside the Pantheon (in Rome). I was spoiled on FJ, so I don't know if I would have corrected myself.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Interesting how Alex said the champion would be back "in a few weeks"; not only will it be interesting to see if that time frame holds true, but how they go about doing that if it is.
I'm assuming they'll have to being him in as co-champ. Not sure how else they could do it. I'd guess they'll do it with a one game winner rather than a repeat champ.
I meant regarding the not being from LA situation; how would he know he will be back "in a few weeks" without knowing when someone from the east coast will be allowed on the show.
Are they only letting people from the LA area be on the show right now? I hadn't heard that.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1991
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:38 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Interesting how Alex said the champion would be back "in a few weeks"; not only will it be interesting to see if that time frame holds true, but how they go about doing that if it is.
I'm assuming they'll have to being him in as co-champ. Not sure how else they could do it. I'd guess they'll do it with a one game winner rather than a repeat champ.
I meant regarding the not being from LA situation; how would he know he will be back "in a few weeks" without knowing when someone from the east coast will be allowed on the show.
Are they only letting people from the LA area be on the show right now? I hadn't heard that.
someone's missed a few threads... :lol:

on any given day, the rules can change based on governor's orders. i don't remember the entire timeline, but I think it started with only LA, then California only, then Nevada and other places have been added. radius could shrink any time as well.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7265
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Per Zach, he has only been told, "Stay tuned!"

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 3031
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $47,800
53 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Lake Placid, topic, 1848, tau, Celtic cross

It feels so good to have J! back, and this time with my DVR working!

I don't know how, but I don't think I've ever heard of Rome's Pantheon. I'm aware of the one in Paris, so maybe I've just always assumed people are talking about that one. Either way, I was out to sea on this FJ!

The issue with "thesis" is that the first part of the clue indicates that the correct response "is the subject at hand." Thesis does not fit that definition.
Sprinkles are for winners.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

JemRiffster wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:57 am
John Boy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 pm

Franki guessed "thesis" which wasn't as good as their desired "topic" (which I got). But it doesn't seem exactly wrong either.
2. What happened to Zach Newkirk, who I thought was the returning champ from the last regular season game in June? He won 4 games and $85K and I certainly expected him to be in the season opener.
Alex said Zach wasn't able to travel from the East Coast (can't imagine why...) to tape the season premiere, so he will return in a "few weeks' time".
Thanks for clarifying. If it had been me, I would have WALKED if necessary (including through the parts of CA that are on fire) to defend my status as champ.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

triviawayne wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:46 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Interesting how Alex said the champion would be back "in a few weeks"; not only will it be interesting to see if that time frame holds true, but how they go about doing that if it is.
I'm assuming they'll have to being him in as co-champ. Not sure how else they could do it. I'd guess they'll do it with a one game winner rather than a repeat champ.
I meant regarding the not being from LA situation; how would he know he will be back "in a few weeks" without knowing when someone from the east coast will be allowed on the show.
It's sorta like when POTUS tells us there will be a Coronavirus vaccine "in a very short period of time." It's said to engender optimism, not reflect anything like truth.

User avatar
TriviaBug
Contributor
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 am

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TriviaBug »

Remember from somewhere that the word basilica has a Latin/Greek root meaning "royal" (and basil = royal herb) and skunked this FJ with St. Peter's Basilica. Michelangelo and "angels" did not help (he painted God, so that must be it).
Last edited by TriviaBug on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7925
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm
The issue with "thesis" is that the first part of the clue indicates that the correct response "is the subject at hand." Thesis does not fit that definition.
How so? What is a thesis statement about if not "the subject at hand"? I still think econgator made the correct analysis by pointing out that the correct response must refer to the main idea of a single paragraph. That's where "thesis" fails to meet the conditions of the clue.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4035
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:57 pm
JemRiffster wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:57 am
John Boy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:38 pm

Franki guessed "thesis" which wasn't as good as their desired "topic" (which I got). But it doesn't seem exactly wrong either.
2. What happened to Zach Newkirk, who I thought was the returning champ from the last regular season game in June? He won 4 games and $85K and I certainly expected him to be in the season opener.
Alex said Zach wasn't able to travel from the East Coast (can't imagine why...) to tape the season premiere, so he will return in a "few weeks' time".
Thanks for clarifying. If it had been me, I would have WALKED if necessary (including through the parts of CA that are on fire) to defend my status as champ.
1. The part about the fires isn't funny.
2. I don't think it was his choice.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:05 pm
someone's missed a few threads... :lol:
I definitely have. Can't really say I've looked at much other than the LearnedLeague thread since reruns started.

BrigadierSolo13
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:40 am

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 am
davey wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 am
Small question for our judges: Is "Orpheus" just as good as "L'Orfeo"?

Also, it feels so good to be back :D
It's hard to believe they'd turn down a straight translation. Hélas, my own response, inexplicably, was Orphée, the French version and leaving off a syllable needed to get by...Together with missing FJ it really screwed up my game... :roll:
BTW, I notice that both Cory and Alex left out the article L' in identifying the opera.
That's not uncommon, I think. Even the swanky types will sometimes leave off the article. What the swanky types won't do is refer to the opera by its name translated into English. So BrigadierSolo13, if you want to infiltrate the opera crowd, "Orpheus" won't do. It'll blow your cover. But for J! purposes, I agree that it's hard to argue against. It wouldn't surprise me if Alex's sheet even had it as an alternately acceptable response. So I say mark yourself correct in good conscience.
Thanks for the tip, but to give you an idea of the area I live in, if I mention the name Orpheus, most people would say "Isn't that the guy Samuel L Jackson played in the Matrix?" :roll:

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Peter the accountant »

Volante wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:46 am
Well, "few" is pretty nebulous. What constitutes a few out of 46? 3 out of 10 is likely safe to call a few, so does that let us say 14 is a few weeks out of 46?
Just to add to the confusion, is that a few weeks broadcast time? A few weeks taping time? Who knows?

PS - Note to self, Parthenon and Pantheon are two different buildings. One is a well-maintained ruin. One is not at all a ruin. And it's pretty hard to tell if a ruin was inspired by angels. Once again, I learned something by watching J!

PPS - There was some barely contained screaming at the TV regarding gold rush dates. I suppose when one's alma mater was known as "The '49ers" and had a stereotypical gold miner - complete with pick and gold pan - as a mascot, one tends to remember the year a bit better than the general public. Then again, these contestants are all from California. Is a bit of local knowledge too much to assume?
--Peter

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8455
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How is it that I've heard the word "pantheon" several times, yet never grasped that there actually was a singular thing just called the Pantheon?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, September 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 pm
How is it that I've heard the word "pantheon" several times, yet never grasped that there actually was a singular thing just called the Pantheon?
The Pantheon is sort of at the top of the pantheon of Pantheons.

Post Reply