Jeopardy Season 37 Profiled on TheRinger.com

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Jeopardy Season 37 Profiled on TheRinger.com

Post by Blue Lion »

Set Redesigns, Zoom Auditions, and the Same Host: How ‘Jeopardy!’ Came Back Amid a Pandemic: https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/9/14/ ... n-jennings

Among the many interesting takeaways:
For now, the show has limited auditions to those within driving distance of the show’s Culver City, California, studio—mostly trivia whizzes from Southern California, with a handful of intrepid souls from places like San Francisco and Las Vegas....

When Jeopardy! suspended production in March, the show still had a month’s worth of taping to go before the annual hiatus. That meant 40 episodes—and 80 new contestants, many of whom were feverishly preparing for their onstage debuts—that never got to tape. Jeopardy! filled the on-air gap by re-airing some of the season’s already completed tournaments and then delving into “vault” episodes...

But that still leaves those 80 contestants, whom Jeopardy! says will get their chance on the show just as soon as it’s safe to travel. In a break with tradition, the reigning champion from the last episode of Season 36, four-day champion Zach Newkirk—an attorney from Alexandria, Virginia—will also not appear until sometime in the future. Also on hold for now: this year’s Tournament of Champions.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Jeopardy Season 37 Profiled on TheRinger.com

Post by triviawayne »

Not all of those 80 contestants may be blocked from coming now, some might be close enough to tape now.

Hell--I'll drive the 2700 miles to the studio, no problem.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:07 pm Not all of those 80 contestants may be blocked from coming now, some might be close enough to tape now.

You keep saying this, but it's a matter of optics. Jeopardy! is going to come under a lot of public fire if contestants start coming in from out-of-state.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:29 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:07 pm Not all of those 80 contestants may be blocked from coming now, some might be close enough to tape now.

You keep saying this, but it's a matter of optics. Jeopardy! is going to come under a lot of public fire if contestants start coming in from out-of-state.
my only point here was "driving distance" is subjective, and not at all accurate. Some people wouldn't feel Las Vegas is "driving distance" from LA.

You know as well as I do the reality is location determined by governor's orders at any given time; no reason at all for you to take it literally when I say I'll go no matter what. Of course I would go under any circumstances, but that doesn't mean they are allowed to let me just because I say I am willing.

Even in normal circumstances, all of us here are willing to go, but can't unless they call.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

The most refreshing thing I read in the article is Michael Richards saying J! is not broken.