Tuesday, September 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:24 pm
nadroj93 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pmA little irritated that I was stumped by Mary Higgins Clark, and even more irritated that I confidently said Jan Van Eyck instead of Jan Vermeer. Anyone have a clever way to separate the Jans?
First of all, forget their first names. As we saw today, they’re only going to get you in trouble.

Secondly, familiarize yourself with Vermeer's four or five best-known works. He has a very distinct style defined by his domestic subject matter and use of lighting.

Van Eyck worked more than two centuries earlier in a more mannered style common to the High Renaissance.
Also, Van Eyck has never had a feature film made about him...They've asked for the name Vermeer many more times than they've asked for Van Eyck. Most times when they've wanted Van Eyck the clue mentions that he had a brother who was also a painter...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

The Roman numeral for 78 was a TS? :o
Should've switched the values for America's Cup and Alexander the Great in the KJ category. :|
OK, the game was a double lock, but what kind of BS was the Barry Gordy ruling? :x
For the record, I just said Gordy. :mrgreen:
And I've been around you all long enough to finally remember Vermeer. :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:03 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 pm
Danmel wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 pm I actually thought they would make a score change for cochineal as a beetle derivative, instead of just insect. Beetle is correct.
Wikipedia says cochineals are of the order Hemiptera. Beetles are of the order Coleoptera. Interestingly, this means that the response "What is a bug?" would or at least should have been accepted. Hemiptera is the order of "true bugs".
I think this may be a common misconception or urban legend, cochineal being a beetle also sounded right to me but it seems to be patently false. Searching it I found this site which includes the gem: "Don't trust any account that calls this bug a beetle — it's not"

https://www.livescience.com/36292-red-f ... rmine.html
Definitely wouldn't classify it as an urban legend, someone just goofed somewhere at least modestly reputable, and then everyone after cited the same goofed piece rather than backing up a level or checking the source. I was certain it was a beetle too.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:54 pm If they pronounce them differently, how? Do they say "merry" like "mrry", Cleveland Brown style?

Because Berry Gordy has never been called Brry Gordy, that I can find.
Late to the party, but I pronounce berry (and merry) with the vowel of "bet" or "pen", barry (or marry) with the vowel of "bat" or "hat", and the other one (Mary) with the vowel of "pear" or "air".
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:55 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:16 pm Barry like carry

Berry like strawberry
To me these rhyme.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I'm not even sure I'm aware of the difference that's trying to be pointed out, if, in fact, one exists.

I'm aware of the clothing brand "Burberry" which, as I understand it, pronounces the first two syllables identically, as "br", as in, "Brr, I'm cold." I thought that was kind of a British thing.

But everyone I have ever known of American origin has pronounced "strawberry" as rhyming with "straw-carry".

Also I've seen the musical Motown and TV shows about Berry Gordy and I've never heard his name pronounced "Brrr-ee".
For me, "Barry" has the short "a" of "cat," whereas "Berry" has the short "e" of "met." I pronounce "Carrie" and "Kerry" differently. I pronounce "carry" and "Carrie" identically. --Bob
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:08 pm seriously asking since there seems to be an issue here: Isn't "Barry" pronounced different than "Berry"
They're pronounced the same in Detroit.
talkingaway wrote:I actually support the judges' ruling - mainly on the basis that Barry and Berry are two completely different names.
Why do you say that? I'd think they could at least be considered variants of the same name like Terry and Teri, Jon and John.

This is a very bizarre scoring decision as far as I'm concerned.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:11 pmI actually support the judges' ruling - mainly on the basis that Barry and Berry are two completely different names. It would be like if you were asked for Harper Lee's 1960 novel, and you wrote "Two Kill a Mockingbird". Even if they sound alike in some dialects (not mine), they're two different words with different meanings.
Now I'm curious how you or indeed anyone could pronounce "two" and "to" (and/or "too" for that matter) differently.

Mark me down as another baffled that Betsy was ruled wrong for writing Barry. I get that some people might pronounce Barry and Berry a bit differently, but surely not enough to neg her. This ain't no Emanciptation situation (when the outcome was equally unaffected).

+1 for the "Mike Richards is trying to gin up a controversy early in his run" theory, unless contestants were told spelling counted for both names.

Fwiw, I'd have written Berry Gordy. I'd also have negged with beetle, said Nautilus for Triton had I rung in, and not pulled caliph in time.

LT: Civil Rights Act, 78, hasta la vista (DD), Krakatoa, Sylvia Plath.

Anyone else consider Rick and Morty at TV Shows 1600, with "Rick" in the clue?
In and out of the pool four times
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:06 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:54 pm If they pronounce them differently, how? Do they say "merry" like "mrry", Cleveland Brown style?

Late to the party, but I pronounce berry (and merry) with the vowel of "bet" or "pen", barry (or marry) with the vowel of "bat" or "hat", and the other one (Mary) with the vowel of "pear" or "air".
Add another protestor to the pile and let's start looting and burning in accordance with the stereotype.

My elder brother's name is Barry. For 70 years it has rhymed with merry, marry, carry, bury, my brother Terry, my wife Terri, my tendency to tarry, and my other brother Barry (JK on that one, Newhart reference :lol:). I've NEVER (noticeably) heard any other enunciation of the name, even as the Hollywood Barrymore. I have detected a shift when speaking about Barack Obama as Barry, but no other time.

I only offer this as a case study from a rural Missouri town. It seems like you shouldn't have to know a freak spelling of a name you may have heard and learned by osmosis. If they think they can change contestant's behaviour then they haven't paid much attention to the 37 years of betting decisions.

Even more ironic is the show's use of an "alliterative" clue for "boar bristle". I specifically clammed on that one for the uncertainty of whether it was considered alliterative. Is it just the first letter? Is pneumonia pain alliterative? (rhetorical questions only, unless someone has a nugget to share).

SJ was easier tonight than last night, or maybe I'm getting my synapses trained better. I did not know the correct answer, although I've heard the name.

btw, thanks Mark B. for the Johnny Gilbert, our DVR synced correctly today and we heard the dulcet tones of JG announcing This issss Jeopardy!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got spoiled. I saw that OntarioQuizzer posted early and got curious and looked. He didn't spoil me, but now I knew there was a questionable ruling. Then I had a Zoom meeting with my choir until after 8:30, and before going to watch my recording, I took a glance at Facebook, and saw that someone had posted a poll in the J! contestants group about Berry/Barry pronunciation (the gag order on discussing current episodes is lifted at 11p ET, when the day's show has probably already aired in all markets) and I knew enough to get FJ right without having to think hard about it. I don't know for sure if I would have gotten it otherwise, and I haven't decided whether I'll count it in the poll as a get.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:11 pm I actually support the judges' ruling - mainly on the basis that Barry and Berry are two completely different names. It would be like if you were asked for Harper Lee's 1960 novel, and you wrote "Two Kill a Mockingbird". Even if they sound alike in some dialects (not mine), they're two different words with different meanings.
Counterpoint: this FJ.
Spoiler
to bring a different Berry into the discussion
Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:06 pm

See, to me, the vowel of "pear" and "air" is the same as the vowel of "bet" or "pen," just with an R finishing it. Are there any syllables with the vowel of "air" in your pronunciation that don't end with R?
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Add me to the long list who was shocked by the FJ ruling. I correctly spelled Berry Gordy, but I may now consider only using last names from now on :shock:

Question from a young whippersnapper here born after 1982: What headline was the clue referring to in DD1?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 am Question from a young whippersnapper here born after 1982: What headline was the clue referring to in DD1?
Deadline, not headline.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:49 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 am Question from a young whippersnapper here born after 1982: What headline was the clue referring to in DD1?
Deadline, not headline.
Ooooh, that makes more sense, thank you
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 am Add me to the long list who was shocked by the FJ ruling. I correctly spelled Berry Gordy, but I may now consider only using last names from now on :shock:

Question from a young whippersnapper here born after 1982: What headline was the clue referring to in DD1?
Deadline, not headline. From a quick wiki search, the deadline for the amendment to be passed by 3/4 of the states is apparently set by Congress along with creation of the amendment - the amendment had a "Mission: Impossible" clause, causing it to self-destruct and rendering it inactive if not passed by 38 states by the date. The original deadline was March 1979, and was extended to June 1982 - although apparently whether this extension is valid is an unresolved matter. There were no states that ratified it between the original date and the extension, so it's basically an academic point.

Legal scholars, nitpick away.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,200
48 R/1 W (blanked on Kathryn Bigelow's name after ringing in)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: insect, Civil Rights Act, 78, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Krakatoa, caliph (DD), hasta la vista (DD), Sylvia Plath

That was an all-time bad ruling. As I understand it, the rule has always been that a FJ! response has to be written such that it could plausibly match the pronunciation of the correct response. The fact that some people pronounce Barry and berry differently is inconsequential. What matters is that many people pronounce them the same way.
reddpen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 pm Anyone else consider Rick and Morty at TV Shows 1600, with "Rick" in the clue?
+1
Sprinkles are for winners.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $35,800

45 R (2 DDs), 2 W. Blanked on caliph.

FJ--Instaget. In terms of pronunciation, I pronounce Barry and Berry differently. But I think that was an egregious ruling, given the show's history of pronunciation rulings, and the fact that the show carries people with all sorts of dialects/inflections, you'd think a staff member would think about how someone else might pronounce something.

LT: Civil Rights Act, 78, Triton, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Rick and Morty, Krakatoa, Mary Higgins Clark
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

goongas wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:51 pm The wide shot of the three contestants looks terrible. I hope they put the podiums back together when the protocols are lifted. I can't read all the scores without twisting my neck during the wide shot.
You're sitting too close to the TV.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm The Barry/Berry ruling reminds me of this ruling on Password Plus back in the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Rlrx-AQbQ
This is terrific, thanks for posting. It might as well have been Marcia Wallace's audition for Edna Krabappel. (Also she argued her point pretty well.) Funny how the first contestant guessed "dress" thinking the prompt had been "her suit". I remember an episode where the password was "Moore" (as in Roger, Dudley, etc.) and the clue given was "less..." and then the response "more" was ruled correct, no issue at all.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

reddpen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 pm Now I'm curious how you or indeed anyone could pronounce "two" and "to" (and/or "too" for that matter) differently.
I pronounce them the same but I have heard two pronounced as “tyou”. (As the word you with a t in front of it).
LT: Civil Rights Act,
Appropriate it aired yesterday as it was the 57th anniversary of the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church, one of the things that led to the Act.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Over on reddit, Betsy is pissed, and says it was Alex, in grumpy-old-man mode, who made the final call.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 am Add me to the long list who was shocked by the FJ ruling. I correctly spelled Berry Gordy, but I may now consider only using last names from now on :shock:

Deadline, not headline. From a quick wiki search, the deadline for the amendment to be passed by 3/4 of the states is apparently set by Congress along with creation of the amendment - the amendment had a "Mission: Impossible" clause, causing it to self-destruct and rendering it inactive if not passed by 38 states by the date. The original deadline was March 1979, and was extended to June 1982 - although apparently whether this extension is valid is an unresolved matter. There were no states that ratified it between the original date and the extension, so it's basically an academic point.

Legal scholars, nitpick away.
I highly recommend the show "Mrs. America" on Hulu about this topic. Excellent cast and writing, plus you can learn something along the way! I tend to retain information better if I've watched a fictionalized version of the events.