Wednesday, September 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:14 am The GOAT was a little different as they all had plenty of Jeopardy experience and they all knew each other. But it fit in with her flighty personality.

I thought his DD bet was risky as a miss puts the other two back in the game. I am betting small and taking my time coming up with a response.
Risky, but it's hard to say that it was wildly unnecessary. He was 2/3 in the category, and maybe he felt confident with the genre of Southwestern Native American History. With LTAMTG in the game, there wasn't a ton of game left, and also in his defense, he probably did know the answer - he just got hung up on "code breaker" vs "code talker". And there's always the blinding lights of J! argument for when logic and reason go out the window - even without a live studio audience.

Of course, if Cory gets the next adobe/hogan clue right instead of wrong, and FJ! wagering in a 2-player game is optimized, David loses in a heartbreaking manner, with the correct response crossed out on his screen. But Cory's comeback would have been predicated on her going 2/2 in the $2000 clues - not unheard of, but certainly not a gimmie, even for a 2-day champ.

There's also the argument that the $3000 bet would give him $15800 - if he picks the $400 clue after he gets the DD right, and Cory gets it and then answers the 3 highest valued clues correctly, she gets $6000. With $7400, she's still locked out unless they allow for another clue or two to be revealed. So, his wager was definitively locking Cory out. If Kelly had run the board though, she's not quite locked out.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

John Boy wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:38 am
talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:31 am
Charming wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 pm I hope that players like Kelly are not the direction the producers want to retake the show. As TalkingAwauy posted, a little goes a long way.. :o
Honestly, I'm willing to give the producers a lot of leeway. The contestant pool shrunk from about 365.8 million to about 19 million. (Okay, not everyone in the US/Canada/Greater LA area is eligible, but the proportion is probably about the same.) It means that if they keep the same "line", for every contestant they interviewed in the beforetimes, they'd have to interview about 19 or 20 to get an LA contestant.

But I agree - the one generic contestant archetype that I'm a little allergic to is the overenthusiastic squealer, and it's not what J! fans at home are expecting. As has been said, she'd be a great fit on a lot of other game shows - Card Sharks, Don't, and Match Game come to mind, where she gets to actually talk for more than 30-40 seconds. I don't mind wit and even a little bit of acerbic snark, but save the fist pumps for the DDs and FJ.
alietr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 pm Personally, I would say that urging another player to go TDD crosses the line into unsportsmanlike conduct. Sorry, but she would be a good fit on a lot of other game shows.
I can't fault her too much for that - James literally did the same thing on GOAT, didn't he? Same rules for everyone. Plus, contextually, it was pretty obvious she was joking. The scores were 1400-2600-12800, with only 9200 available on the board, and "less than a minute to go" in effect. A $5 wager would have been more than appropriate - as was David's $3000 wager. Dealer's choice.

"overenthusiastic squealer." Pretty much sums it up. And I agree, a little bit goes a long way, and after decades of what J! has given us, that is what we have become comfortably accustomed to.
I always find it interesting when contestant personalities engender as much discussion as the game play. I'm personally in the "little goes a long way camp," but I also know that if everyone was like me, the world would be a boring place and if everyone played Jeopardy the way I do, the show wouldn't have lasted into its 37th season.

So, even though a little may go a long way, I do appreciate the variety when it comes.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:35 am Forgot to mention that when I saw the category TV SHOWS BASED ON BOOKS BY WOMEN, I confidently pre-called The Handmaid's Tale. Really surprised that didn't pay off. The writers love that book almost as much as I hate it.
+1

I think Kelley's energy would've played better with a studio audience, but I appreciated her playfulness. And I totally dug the dino blouse. You do you, girl! Given the weird circumstances, the overall tone of the show seems subdued this week, and she definitely livened things up.
yclept

Post by yclept »

While I don’t want a Kelley on every episode, I didn’t find her to be bad at all. And if he would have gone “all in” based on her quip alone, that speaks more about him than it does her. Oh, and Brad (and maybe Ken) both encouraged Roger to go all in during the BoTD. He obliged but that was probably his strategy anyway.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:12 pm
The Navajo DD was bullshit. I knew what they wanted but couldn't articulate it, and it still isn't clear what they actually wanted.
What they wanted was very clear.

I thought Kelly was delightful.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Just watched this one. Like some others I was able to avoid the coin flip by knowing that Crockett died at the Alamo and that was after 1820.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I just got through watching this episode...and my only thought throughout most of the game was that someone needed to tell Kelly they are making decaffeinated tea nowadays.