Fourth Podium Poll for 9/16/2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these missed clues did you get?

$800 EUROPEAN HISTORY: Meaning "hammer", it was the byname of Frankish king Charles, who hammered a Muslim army at the 732 Battle of Tours
46%
$1000 TV SHOWS BASED ON BOOKS BY WOMEN: Based on novels by Deborah Harkness, "A Discovery of" these beings centers on historian Diana Bishop, who has magical abilities
36%
$800 THESE UNITED STATES: Cobblestones are part of the charm of Wharf Street in this Maine city with a name that suggests it's water-adjacent
56%
$1000 THESE UNITED STATES: Fargo, N.D. lies in the valley of this "colorful" river "of the North", one of the USA's great agricultural areas
69%
$1000 NUMBER, PLEASE: The word myriad can refer to any large number of things, or specifically to this big number (Kelly: What is a million? Alex: No. Kelly: Aww!)
22%
$1600 SUMMARIZING THE NOVEL: Here comes the Barnes; where there's a will, there's a Hemingway; Romero the torero (David: What is Death in the Afternoon?)
63%
$2000 SUMMARIZING THE NOVEL: Utopia (not!); I ain't goin' nowhere; the Butler did it (in 1872)
38%
$800 ACM Awards: The son of country singer Rhett Akins, he was the 2018 winner for Male Artist of the Year
11%
$1600 ACM Awards: A nickname for the state of Virginia, this band won Group of the Year in 2019 & Vocal Group of the Year in 2018 (Kelly: Who are Lady Antebellum?)
51%
$2000 ACM Awards: New Female Vocalist of the Year for 2015, she literally sparkled at the awards in 2017 when she sang "Yeah Boy"
6%
$1200 THE NAVAJO: The Navajo capital shares its name with this rock, a nearby sandstone ridge with a see-through portal
18%
$2000 THE NAVAJO: The doors in these traditional dome-shaped Navajo dwellings always face to the east (Cory: What are adobe? Kelly: What are pueblos?)
33%
$800 SAND PAINTING: This New Englander known for his stormy seas painted a calmer 1869 "Beach Scene"
57%
DD1 EUROPEAN HISTORY: Helped by Lord Byron, in 1830 it became the first of the Ottoman Empire's subject nations to achieve independence
64%
DD2 6-LETTER WORDS: Used to indicate whether a substance is acidic or basic, this compound is obtained from lichens
83%
DD3 THE NAVAJO: The unique complexities of the Navajo language made it perfect for Native Americans working as these during World War II
83%

Total votes: 72

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 9/16/2020

Post by davey »

I end up with $5600, because I screwed up the Hemingway saying A Farewell to Arms, even though The Sun Also Rises is the only Hemingway novel I've actually read. I've done this before, blanked on that particular title. But since I know I've read it, I can't bear to stay clam, since I should know it, I think it will come to me before time runs out - but instead another title obstructs my way to it. I wouldn't go with Death in the Afternoon, since it's not a novel.
But I got the FJ (knew Crockett died later) and the litmus DD (should have known the Byron, found the Navajo confusing) so I guess I win anyway... :)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Never knew "myriad" referred to a specific number.
Leander

Post by Leander »

$8000 plus DD 1 & 3.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:58 pm I got The Sun Also Rises, Thomas Rhett, Old Dominion, Kelsea Ballerini, and litmus.
Nice pulls! That gets you $6000, enough to win if you got FJ. But not enough to win with a savvy wager from second if you missed it. My $6400 put me in the same boat, the highest ordinary (divisible by $200) value to be there. We'll go out for drinks later and talk about the various "one thing"s that could've been different to put us in the champ's spot.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:18 pm $6200 from TSs, correct on DD2 and DD3. Would have probably still lost when I matched David's answer of Davy Crockett (though I spell it without the "E").
Davy Crocktt? :lol:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:27 pm Never knew "myriad" referred to a specific number.
I actually knew the root before I knew that particular word. My dad had a book (it's still around here somewhere) called The Insomniac's Dictionary that I got into as a kid that had a bunch of stuff about words. One section had a bunch of -ocracy and -archy words that referred to who ruled, and the author had listed a bunch of words that referred to rule by a specific number. The last one, with the highest number, was "myriarchy," defined as rule by 10,000. So when I encountered "myriad" at some later point, I was likely able to glean from context that it referred to a large, uncountable number, but I knew from my prior reading that it probably literally referred to ten thousand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:07 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:27 pm Never knew "myriad" referred to a specific number.
I actually knew the root before I knew that particular word. My dad had a book (it's still around here somewhere) called The Insomniac's Dictionary that I got into as a kid that had a bunch of stuff about words.
Well, dang. I'm gonna track down that book and give up the Melatonin.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

$8400 plus DDs 2 and 3, and I got FJ.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:41 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:18 pm $6200 from TSs, correct on DD2 and DD3. Would have probably still lost when I matched David's answer of Davy Crockett (though I spell it without the "E").
Davy Crocktt? :lol:
Curse you again -- another mouthful of coffee to clean off the monitor.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Only Red River of the North, myriad = 10,000, and The Sun Also Rises. Gives me $3,600, not within striking distance.

Did get Final and all three DDs.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:07 pm
I actually knew the root before I knew that particular word. My dad had a book (it's still around here somewhere) called The Insomniac's Dictionary that I got into as a kid that had a bunch of stuff about words. One section had a bunch of -ocracy and -archy words that referred to who ruled, and the author had listed a bunch of words that referred to rule by a specific number. The last one, with the highest number, was "myriarchy," defined as rule by 10,000. So when I encountered "myriad" at some later point, I was likely able to glean from context that it referred to a large, uncountable number, but I knew from my prior reading that it probably literally referred to ten thousand.
I just found the book. It's got (going from high to low) myriarchy, chiliarchy (a thousand), hecatonarchy (a hundred), dodecarchy, decarchy, octarchy, heptarchy, pentarchy, tetrarchy, triarchy, biarchy, and monarchy (with a few alternatives given for several of the lower numbers, and "hecatontarchy"). The author, Paul Hellweg, explained that "hexarchy" already refers to a group of six states rather than to rule by six leaders; he also observed that there didn't seem to have ever been a word for rule by nine. He said he suggested "nonarchy" in a magazine article once, and a reader wrote in saying that that mixed Greek and Latin, and "ennearchy" would be consistently Greek (and that's also where I first learned the Greek "nine" prefix).
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:38 amHe said he suggested "nonarchy" in a magazine article once, and a reader wrote in saying that that mixed Greek and Latin, and "ennearchy" would be consistently Greek (and that's also where I first learned the Greek "nine" prefix).
You're not supposed to mix Greek and Latin roots in a single word. I learned that on television.