Friday, September 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Friday, September 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Movie's Last Lines and Bo Jackson.)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Marxism, Ageism, Jeff Gordon, Louisville, Kibitz, Memento, James, Uranium City, Silver Spring, Flint
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

I had the Kubla Khan / Xanadu part of FJ right from the obvious "dome" TOM, but for some reason had difficulty with getting the right author. I got there, but it was a Wordsworth/Coleridge coin flip for me that came up the correct side up for once.

I got Marx and thought it was pretty obvious, but looking at pictures on google images of Marx and Darwin, I sort of see how the confusion could be made. Coupled with the fact that they're both proponents of popular -isms who lived almost to the year during the same period, it's an understandable mistake. The "methods" part of the clue was really pulling towards science, making it even harder - Marxism having ideas and theories makes sense, but can someone explain the "methods" of Marxism?

How interesting...a clue about the SONY PlayStation - surprised Alex didn't chime in with "preorders for the PlayStation 5 coming in November are available right now!"

Playing devil's advocate, how did they know that Joe said "Silver Springs" and not "Silver Spring's"? Granted, that could apply to any proper noun that has an inappropriate S added to it. If the clue was "His second term as US president started in 1997", you could say "What is Clinton's?" and it would sound natural. Of course, it doesn't have the usual "this" in the clue, so...it's probably a moot point.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:02 pm Playing devil's advocate, how did they know that Joe said "Silver Springs" and not "Silver Spring's"? Granted, that could apply to any proper noun that has an inappropriate S added to it. If the clue was "His second term as US president started in 1997", you could say "What is Clinton's?" and it would sound natural. Of course, it doesn't have the usual "this" in the clue, so...it's probably a moot point.
The clue: "This alliterative Maryland place is named for the color of the mica flakes found in the local water"

I think that in order for the response of "Silver Springs" to be interpretable and acceptable as "Silver Spring's," the clue would have to be worded as "This alliterative Maryland place's name comes from the color of the mica flakes found in the local water."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Places of Substance.

I also said Darwin on the DD.

Worst miss: I had "has lion in the name" + inventor. "Leonard" was in my head and I still couldn't shift gears to Leonardo da Vinci. Hate misses like that.

There were two Jameses?

How was coffee "obvious" on Potpourri for $800?

No guess on FJ! "Stately pleasure dome decree" rings a bell, but it was ringing too faintly for me to hear it in time.

Lach Trash: ageism, Jeff Gordon, Uranium, Silver Spring, Flint
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:08 pm How was coffee "obvious" on Potpourri for $800?
Guess who produces more than 1/3 of the entire world's coffee beans.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:08 pm How was coffee "obvious" on Potpourri for $800?
Guess who produces more than 1/3 of the entire world's coffee beans.
I didn't have an answer, but if the clue were twisted around to "This South American 1932 Olympic team sold coffee...", I probably would have probably gone for Colombia. But then again I'm biased because of my sixth grade history report back in 1988 where I stated that "Colombia's largest legal export is coffee." My teacher was about 70, and didn't seem to understand why the word legal was necessary. I'm also biased from all those Juan Valdez advertisements back then.

If it had been a DD, I would have gone with corn, but I clammed. A secondary clue was "bags of".....light is not good for coffee, so it has to be stored in bags. A crop like corn wouldn't have to be in bags - I envision corn in bushel baskets out in the air (and light), but I'm a city boy.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I totally failed to process "Brazil" in the clue. I guess two keywords is my limit, since that's at least the second time this week where I've choked on a three-keyword clue.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:03 pm NBC broke in just before FJ with news about RBG’s death. I found a copy of the show on YouTube and played it from there.

A WAG with Tennyson left me with little hope.
I also missed the last half of DJ due to the news flash. Most times that happens I'm annoyed b/c the "huge flash" is something that could really wait until morning, certainly until after the show. This was different. RBG deserved to see the whole world stop to remember and honor and say thank you.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:53 pm When I saw the clue I Pavloved "dome" to be done as fast as I was on stage in September aught five.
Yep. I dreaded the cat when I saw it, but like you, "dome" made it easy.
Also yep. "Dome" (even just reading it on this board" was the dead giveaway.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

John Boy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:18 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:03 pm NBC broke in just before FJ with news about RBG’s death. I found a copy of the show on YouTube and played it from there.

A WAG with Tennyson left me with little hope.
I also missed the last half of DJ due to the news flash. Most times that happens I'm annoyed b/c the "huge flash" is something that could really wait until morning, certainly until after the show. This was different. RBG deserved to see the whole world stop to remember and honor and say thank you.
I agree her death was big news and worthy of a special bulletin. They broke in during the pre-FJ break. I was hoping they’d just say “She died, more later” but they went to a longer story about her. It might could have waited five minutes (I already knew) but it isn’t a hill I am willing to die on getting upset about.

I missed the final clue in DJ (but not FJ) because CBS broke in to announce the death of John Glenn. That is something that could have waited.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:08 pm There were two Jameses?
Yep. Also two Judases but for some reason they didn't BMS Judas.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Surprised to see no complaints over the Air Force clue. It wasn’t 1760 PlayStations, it was 1760 PlayStation 3s.

I was wavering based on the date given if this would be PS2 or PS3 and might not have buzzed if I was on the stage. Felt like the response of PlayStation should’ve been negged or at least prompted.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:02 pm
It's strange that people don't seem to name their kids Judas lately.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:47 am Surprised to see no complaints over the Air Force clue. It wasn’t 1760 PlayStations, it was 1760 PlayStation 3s.

I was wavering based on the date given if this would be PS2 or PS3 and might not have buzzed if I was on the stage. Felt like the response of PlayStation should’ve been negged or at least prompted.
I was like, "Will they just accept PlayStations? They were probably PlayStation 3s; I was testing PS3 games in 2010. But I can't imagine J! being particular and seeking a number after 'PlayStation.'"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:05 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:47 am Surprised to see no complaints over the Air Force clue. It wasn’t 1760 PlayStations, it was 1760 PlayStation 3s.

I was like, "Will they just accept PlayStations? They were probably PlayStation 3s; I was testing PS3 games in 2010. But I can't imagine J! being particular and seeking a number after 'PlayStation.'"
Yeah. PlayStation is the brand name, so there's nothing wrong with accepting just that.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Herman appeared on 1 vs. 100 back in 2007 and was from Memphis at the time.
http://www.gameshownewsnet.com/prime/1vs100/022307.html
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:34 am

I've cribbed the paragraph below from everything-birthday.com (here's the link if you want to see for yourself). I apologize for its poor punctuation.

Judas has been used in the United States ever since 1969, with over 481 boys given the name in the past 200 years. Judas gained the most popularity as a baby name in 2012, when it's usage went up by 210.14%. During this year, 21 babies were named Judas, which was 0.0006% of the baby boys born in the USA that year. The most the names popularity ever grew to was 0.001%, in this year alone more than 0 boys were named Judas.

The name is most popular in Arizona and least popular in Texas, so the Southwest is evidently not a monolith.
I'm smart and I want respect.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Lefty wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:48 pm

I've cribbed the paragraph below from everything-birthday.com (here's the link if you want to see for yourself). I apologize for its poor punctuation.

Judas has been used in the United States ever since 1969, with over 481 boys given the name in the past 200 years. Judas gained the most popularity as a baby name in 2012, when it's usage went up by 210.14%. During this year, 21 babies were named Judas, which was 0.0006% of the baby boys born in the USA that year. The most the names popularity ever grew to was 0.001%, in this year alone more than 0 boys were named Judas.

The name is most popular in Arizona and least popular in Texas, so the Southwest is evidently not a monolith.
Lady Gaga had a song called Judas in 2011, a likely reason for that bump even if the name still barely registered.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:48 pm

But how many Iscariots??... ;)
I gather this paragraph is computer-generated..
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:39 pm Lady Gaga had a song called Judas in 2011, a likely reason for that bump even if the name still barely registered.
There may be the germ of an FJ there.
I'm smart and I want respect.