Thursday, September 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, September 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASTRONOMY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Discovered in 1967, the 1st of these stars was dubbed LGM-1--the perceived signal was jokingly thought to be from little green men

Robert Kaine: 10200-1801=8399
Sara Tayyar: 12000-10401=1599
Sameer Gandhi: 11200+11000=22200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
pulsars (Robert – supernova) (Sara – red dwarf)

Daily Doubles
Robert: 3400+3400
Robert: 14800-3200
Robert: 14800-5000

Coryats
Robert: 16000
Sara: 12000
Sameer: 11200

Combined: 39,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Robert: 8400
Sara: 4000
Sameer: 3200
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

If my life was riding on a correct FJ! response, this would be the clue I want to see.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sara made a heart with her hands and mouthed a "Hi" to mom on introduction. Robert topped that by having a spinning centerpiece on his tie.

"A" IS FOR AUTUMN gave Alabama and wanted the other team in the Iron Bowl. Sameer gave an "A" team though not the right one on a clue that went TS and will have those in SEC land firing away with online comments. Sucks, but that's J! in social media times.

Not an "A" is Lent in that same category. Sameer gets the last laugh for any negativity coming his way.

Category names matter and remembering makes the zodiac one a lot easier.

It's not uncommon to see clues valued at $2000 that have viewers scratching their heads at the board placement. Today it's the stone gorgon clue. :roll:

The FJ! category had me try precalls of astronomers, moons and Mars vehicles. The FJ! clue had me only write the correct response while dreading it could be one letter later in the alphabet as I know nothing about the difference between the two. [Wipes brow]

While there have been plenty of comments about this Mike Richards era centering around the FJ! round, I'm happy with opening the season with a 9-spot.

Robert leaves the stage 6/6 on finding DDs and 2/6 on solving them. Tough to stick around long that way.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Shame that Robert is already off the show. He's got solid buzzer chops and is very good at uncovering DD's, but unfortunately the latter doesn't mean much if you can't solve them!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Came up with "neutron star" for FJ, and after looking at the definition, it might've passed muster.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:57 pm Came up with "neutron star" for FJ, and after looking at the definition, it might've passed muster.
100% acceptable. LGM-1 was a neutron star.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $45,200 (50R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Pulled off the elusive sweep of the $2000 row for the first time this season. Had pulsar, but agree with the above that neutron star should be acceptable too. As a scientist, I also agree that this is the FJ I'd want to see if my life depended on it. :D

4 of the 10 clues I didn't get were in the movie category. I just cannot seem to figure out how to make any progress there. grr. The one movie clue I did get (Robin Wright) fell out of the tens of thousands of reps I did on movie flashcards this summer. If that's the amount of work it takes just to not get shut out of the category, man alive!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Joined the ex-champ with supernova.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I can't laugh at Sameer for saying Lent in an "A" category - I thought the fruit that was harvested in autumn that begins with "A" was pumpkin. Me fail English? That's unpossible! In my defense, it was the first clue of the category.

Honestly, you could show me pictures of Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, Anne Hathaway, and Anna Kendrick, and I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which, and I'm FAR from allergic to pop culture. And, yes, I know they look nothing alike, although they're all attractive, from what I've been told. I went with Amy Adams as Anna Kendrick on the second clue, and wisely took that as my cue to shut up for the rest of the category.

I plugged in a "0" in my spreadsheet as my sign that I was clamming for the last DJ...but I guessed Rhine. If contestants could eliminate a category, I would eliminate geography on my J! appearance in a flash, so I was surprised that I got it. I did consider Rhone, but Rhine sounded better.

I cheated on the final and looked at it here, to my detriment. I wanted to speed through it, so I just went with "supernova", but I knew it was that spinning star that spat out radio waves, or something like that. Couldn't pull "pulsar", although if I had been forced to wait 30 seconds, I might have switched. Oh well, still a 0.

I'll miss the bow tie. I wonder if Robert can tell me where to get a LEGO NES online for a non-premium price. I'm not a LEGO guy, and literally have none, but I want one. I regret not buying the Simpsons LEGO...I had no idea they retired sets.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 pm ...
I'll miss the bow tie. I wonder if Robert can tell me where to get a LEGO NES online for a non-premium price. I'm not a LEGO guy, and literally have none, but I want one. I regret not buying the Simpsons LEGO...I had no idea they retired sets.
Robert was commenting back on a lot of comments through YT yesterday, so he could probably be reached that way to ask him. One link is in the Wed. thread or go to YT and search: bob kaine lego
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:32 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:57 pm Came up with "neutron star" for FJ, and after looking at the definition, it might've passed muster.
Unless there were a neutron discovered earlier and not identified as a pulsar, for which the invisible star of the binary Sco X-1 seems to fit the bill.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:48 pm
"A" IS FOR AUTUMN gave Alabama and wanted the other team in the Iron Bowl. Sameer gave an "A" team though not the right one on a clue that went TS and will have those in SEC land firing away with online comments. Sucks, but that's J! in social media times.

Not an "A" is Lent in that same category. Sameer gets the last laugh for any negativity coming his way.
Auburn and advent are inexcusable TS :x
Took a bagel in the actress category. I hope we don't get more of those, but with all Californians, we probably will. :(
FJ: Astronomy? Yes please! Easy peasy FJ :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I actually got a chuckle from nobody knowing Auburn. (Roll Tide).
davey

Post by davey »

There are 3 or 4 times as many hits in the archive for Rhine as for Rhône, so the former is a safer guess for the 2d slot...
I don't think I've ever known exactly what a Pulsar is, unless it's a watch...This week is not going so well for me, FJ-wise... :roll:
But, I have only a remote clue on college football and still got Auburn...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:32 pm
Unless there were a neutron discovered earlier and not identified as a pulsar, for which the invisible star of the binary Sco X-1 seems to fit the bill.
Good find. So, that would exclude neutron stars.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 pm Honestly, you could show me pictures of Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, Anne Hathaway, and Anna Kendrick, and I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which, and I'm FAR from allergic to pop culture.
The real challenge would be looking at pictures of Amy Adams, Jessica Chastain, and Bryce Dallas Howard.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:48 pm It's not uncommon to see clues valued at $2000 that have viewers scratching their heads at the board placement. Today it's the stone gorgon clue. :roll:
It was a $1600, but the temple should have lead beat-'go' category and pushed everything above it down one. (The $2000 felt reasonable.)
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:06 pm Shame that Robert is already off the show. He's got solid buzzer chops and is very good at uncovering DD's, but unfortunately the latter doesn't mean much if you can't solve them!
I was hoping Robert's lego additions would have gotten more and more intricate. Like, tomorrow, Lego dickey. Then Lego jacket. Finally, Lego suit! Oh what could have been...

FJ, I'm glad I caught myself as I almost slipped in a quasar (having forgotten they're galaxies, not stars; I was too focused on the signal bit of the clue). But I had pulsar down first and held back the writing after that

Half my signature is now 8 years old... :cry:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)