Friday, September 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, September 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

I'm a golfer and I never even came close to guessing a golfer in this FJ. Found myself wondering (jokingly) if George Blanda is still playing, but never thought of Phil.

I think I need (another) nap.
WhatAreDogs

Post by WhatAreDogs »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:58 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:46 pm Played FJ off "Clue of the Day." Had to think for a few seconds to come up with tennis and golf, and thought golf much more likely for a 50+ participant to still be active.

Spaced out on Mickelson and flipped a mental coin between Vijay Singh and Ernie Els. Know nothing about their ages, but I know they've been around a long time. Went with Els.

Turns out he's 51, so he qualifies, and he's finished in the money in a couple of recent tournaments, so at least it was a credible guess. I'm taking it as a moral victory even though I helped make it a quadruple stumper from the fourth podium.
Had I not caught the news that Lefty had won his first Champions tour start a few weeks ago and thought " he's 50?!?", I would not have gotten this Final correct.
Yes— I got it last night because of that fact (and did the mental math to rule out Tiger). Would I have gotten whenever they taped? I’m not so sure (unless they taped back in August when it was announced he would play).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yeah, the timing of this FJ helped. The US Open coverage made much of Phil becoming the oldest winner at age 50. Gotta wonder why Julissa even bothered writing a first name if she was time stressed (let alone that wager).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:19 am 49 R (Missed EVERY clue in TV Drama and also the Ant Man sequel. Why Jeopardy! why? First below 50 in a while.)
I almost ran TV DRAMA but fumbled on Designated Survivor. I knew what show they were going for, but couldn't pull the title fast enough. Didn't know the SEAGULLS clue was going for the Ant-Man sequel, but once Julissa flubbed the title I got it on the rebound.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:33 pm I was fine in the moment with accepting careen, but thinking about it, I'm not sure I would have overturned the ruling. Careen is to move fast and out-of-control. The clue was a dictionary definition of veer ("suddenly swerve"). A careening car may veer, but careen is a less specific word...
I was OK with disallowing careen and am ambivalent about the reversal. I can see allowing it, but it doesn't seem to be in line with the recent "persnicketyness."

After the reversal, I was wondering if they'd stretch it as far as "career." After checking it, I don't think so.
Merriam-Webster wrote:Careen and Career

Verb

Some people might be confused by the warning to not confuse careen and career, because the most common sense of career ("a profession") is not much like any of the meanings of careen. But when employed as a verb, career does have some semantic overlap with careen; both words may be used to mean "to go at top speed especially in a headlong manner." A car, for instance, may either careen or career. Some usage guides hold, however, that the car is only careening if there is side-to-side motion, as careen has other meanings related to movement, among which is "to sway from side to side."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... eer#note-1

So, a career is a headlong dash, while careen has elements of veering while careering.

My career can relate to that -- I veered several times.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I get a membership to the "Right sport, wrong athlete" club with Tiger Woods. And, like many here, I knew it was wrong when I wrote it down - partly because I semi-cheated and saw it was a triple miss. If the correct response were Tiger, I figured one of the three of them would get it. I also was sure Tiger is only a little older than I am...I'm 43, and he's 44, so that's a match. And I remembered Tiger coming to prominence and first hearing about him when I was in college...he turned pro in August 1996, which is another match.

One feather in Sameer's cap - he knows his strengths and weaknesses. I think I might follow his wagering strategy - while I'm not completely inept in sports, HIGHEST-PAID ATHLETES sounds like a trap to me.

The last three in HEARD ON A TV DRAMA was "Oh I know that show, but I don't know the title" for me. I knew Blindspot as "that one with the woman who was found in a bodybag with tattoos", and I knew Designated Survivor as "that Kiefer Sutherland show that's not 24". Narcos was "Pablo Escobar's meme where he sadly looks at an empty pool that's on either Showtime or HBO, I think, but could be Netflix". At one point I'd looked up the source of the meme, but the title didn't hold.

I noticed right off the bat that Julissa/Alyssa might cause a problem for Alex. Some of Julissa's responses were a little slow - possibly she was making sure she was the one who was called. Makes sense that they can't necessarily separate contestants with similar/same names - even if they put Julissa on Monday as a challenger and saved Alyssa for a later show, Julissa could win 5 in a row and get Alyssa eventually. I remember hearing of a case where a contestant (probably a challenger) was called by a nickname for a show because of they had the same name as a champ, but I could be mistaken. I know if I were on, there would be little to no chance that I'd respond to "Pete", and that I would reflexively perk up (and possibly respond!) any time "Peter" was said.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

First name and first letter of last name has been accepted before.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4564
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:45 pm First name and first letter of last name has been accepted before.

Wow. And it was even an anagram clue, so to be correct you would need the full name, IMHO
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

They weren't asking for the anagram, only for the identity of the individual.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:45 pm First name and first letter of last name has been accepted before.

Wow. Does anybody think this would have been ruled correct even one time in the last 20 years?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Good find! I wonder if 1988 is too early to set precedent, though. They were still figuring out the rules back then.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think 821 games is enough to decide you need to write down the last name.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:52 pm I think 821 games is enough to decide you need to write down the last name.
Seems like it should be, but I wonder if it is. For starters, how many times would the issue come up in those 821 games? In general I have this vague sense that in 1988 they were still making rulings that wouldn't fly today. But I could be wrong. Maybe one our resident J! historians can offer examples?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I think "Clint" is a little like "Celine" or "Denzel" - yes, there are many Clints, Celines, and Denzels out there. But if you're talking about celebrities and give their genre (westerns, pop music, and movies/TV), the first name pretty much pins it. The "last name" rule is fluky at times - Roosevelt doesn't pin it even when you're talking specifically about stuffed animals or polio, even though it would be very difficult for an adult who got onto J! to mistake the Roosevelts with respect to those clues. And obviously stage names are acceptable - Ciccone or Sarkisian would be technically allowed, but would raise eyebrows.

The other thing to remember is that in the 80s, the light pen system probably wasn't nearly as good as it was today. And people back then weren't as used to writing/signing virtually - these were the days of the credit card guillotines and carbon copy receipts, not RFID chips.

The other thing to consider is the optics. There are two options. The J! folks reject the answer, and give out $1999, or they accept it and give out thousands more. Granted, from the losing contestant's POV, it doesn't look generous. In terms of the spirit of the game, he probably knew it in time, so he should get the money.

And how on Earth was that a TS? Western is practically a Pavlov for Eastwood, and the letters are literally RIGHT THERE.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:14 pmI have this vague sense that in 1988 they were still making rulings that wouldn't fly today
After >8,000 games they are still making rulings that wouldn't fly today
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:18 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:14 pmI have this vague sense that in 1988 they were still making rulings that wouldn't fly today
After >8,000 games they are still making rulings that wouldn't fly today
<like>
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:16 pm And how on Earth was that a TS? Western is practically a Pavlov for Eastwood, and the letters are literally RIGHT THERE.
To me, the answer is pretty simple. As a contestant, you use up all your time trying to work the anagram, instead of proceeding on instinct as you would with any other clue.

Also, technically, it wasn't a TS...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You’d think Opus wouldn’t be making snide remarks about things that don’t fly.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:32 pmI remember hearing of a case where a contestant (probably a challenger) was called by a nickname for a show because of they had the same name as a champ, but I could be mistaken. I know if I were on, there would be little to no chance that I'd respond to "Pete", and that I would reflexively perk up (and possibly respond!) any time "Peter" was said.
2008-A Teen Tournament, Rachel "Steve" Cooke: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=4679
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:20 pm You’d think Opus wouldn’t be making snide remarks about things that don’t fly.
:evil: :lol: :evil: