Monday, September 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ON THE OLD MAP

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On the U.N. website’s map of the world in 1945, these 2 initials of a member state appear 13 times on continental Africa

Sameer Gandhi: 11000-11000=0
Paula Spence: 9600-9597=3
Eric Aiese: 19200-2801=16399 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
U.K. (Sameer – C.W. [going for Commonwealth]) (Paula – G.B. [going for Great Britain]) (Eric – NL [going for Netherlands])

Daily Doubles
Sameer: 1200+1000
Sameer: 7400+2000
Eric: 15000+3000

Coryats
Sameer: 10200
Paula: 9600
Eric: 17000

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sameer: 5400
Paula: 1200
Eric: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Whether dead serious or only joking I found this bio hilarious: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2462532/bio ... _ov_bio_sm

I've read thousands there and never seen something like that one.

OLYMPIC SITES used Squaw Valley for 1960. Social justice has that place getting a new name.

C'mon, Alex, you should have been ready on that CU/CSU get to neg.

The FJ! category had me play it straight with no precalls. The FJ! clue had me only write the correct letters while I wondered if there could possibly be a trap for what Paula had actually being correct.

Eric needs to get on a streak or for the first time since 2012 there will be no ToCer who played in September.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One of those J! teasers ran between the DJ! and FJ! rounds: https://archive.org/details/tease-2020-09-28

There is at least one spoiler of a player score at some point of a game and a comment about game(s). My guess is Alex's remarks are part of an opening and if I don't hear them at the start then I suspect I know what's coming at the end.

No, it is not one of those kind of teasers about an Austin or James coming.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Maybe it's just me but I found FJ confusingly/awkwardly worded. UK crossed my mind but I immediately dismissed as way, way too obvious and ended up scratching my head trying to come up with something that would be in 13 country/colony names. Didn't notice that they just said "appears on the map 13 times". Oof.

Rule #1 of Final Jeopardy: if something seems obvious, go with it!!!!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:15 pm Maybe it's just me but I found FJ confusingly/awkwardly worded. UK crossed my mind but I immediately dismissed as way, way too obvious and ended up scratching my head trying to come up with something that would be in 13 country/colony names. Didn't notice that they just said "appears on the map 13 times". Oof.

Rule #1 of Final Jeopardy: if something seems obvious, go with it!!!!
Not just you. I went to BC for "Belgian Congo" right away, then spent the rest of the time trying to think of a 2-word European country. Hit on UK just in time.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

I felt there was an judging error made today. A clue's correct response should have been "Colorado State". Contestant said "Colorado", and Alex says correct and keeps going. At the time, I was surprised they accepted that, since I knew Colorado State was correct. Later, the judges (eg, Alex) corrected themselves, and took away his winnings and his wager.

I felt they should have said something along the lines of, "Your answer earlier was incorrect, I should have asked you "Be more specific". Since I didn't, we're going to take away your winnings, but not your wager." I felt a BMS should have been asked, giving him a chance to give the correct answer. To penalize him because Alex missed it doesn't seem fair.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

astrohip wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:47 pm I felt there was an judging error made today. A clue's correct response should have been "Colorado State". Contestant said "Colorado", and Alex says correct and keeps going. At the time, I was surprised they accepted that, since I knew Colorado State was correct. Later, the judges (eg, Alex) corrected themselves, and took away his winnings and his wager.

I felt they should have said something along the lines of, "Your answer earlier was incorrect, I should have asked you "Be more specific". Since I didn't, we're going to take away your winnings, but not your wager." I felt a BMS should have been asked, giving him a chance to give the correct answer. To penalize him because Alex missed it doesn't seem fair.
Being that Colorado and Colorado State are two different schools, I agree with the judges; a BMS would have been too accommodating in this case.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Leander

Post by Leander »

I found this FJ confusingly written too. I first thought they were looking for names of African countries, then figured they were looking for who controlled what were colonies at the time. Once I got that, the answer was automatic.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finally done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6831

RESTAURANT RHYME TIME $2000: A 1950s dance party at a place the 18-wheeler drivers go

The correct response was truck stop sock hop and Alex added, "We'll accept that" to indicate he may have had a different first choice.

Rest stop sock hop? Other?
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Oof. Yeah, I should have gotten FJ! right, but I wanted to check just how wrong my answer (FR) was: I count (9) instances of the initials, but that does not include French Somaliland, French Equatorial Africa, or French West Africa. I feel slightly less dumb now, but still should have gotten it.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:00 pm Finally done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6831

RESTAURANT RHYME TIME $2000: A 1950s dance party at a place the 18-wheeler drivers go

The correct response was truck stop sock hop and Alex added, "We'll accept that" to indicate he may have had a different first choice.

Rest stop sock hop? Other?
He probably had sock hop truck stop since that would be in the same order as the clue.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Returning to regular contestant selection can't come soon enough. J! is getting to be unwatchable with these Californians unaware of the rest of the country. Kansas a TS? Mojave? :x
FJ was a WECIB :mrgreen:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:02 pm Being that Colorado and Colorado State are two different schools, I agree with the judges; a BMS would have been too accommodating in this case.
Just as the BMS was too accommodating with regard to HISTORY $1600 ("In 1932 Hattie Caraway of Arkansas became the first woman elected to this"). Jeannette Rankin, elected 1916, was the first woman to serve in Congress.

Bad judgment call on Alex's part. "Congress" should have been an instant neg.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:00 pm Bad judgment call on Alex's part. "Congress" should have been an instant neg.
I was definitely going to mention that. Jeannette Rankin was the first woman elected to Congress, so there should be no BMS.

Rebecca Felton was the first woman to serve in Congress. Hattie Caraway was indeed the first woman elected to Congress.

I, too, was a bit lost on the wording, so I said Fr.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $44,400 (50R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

My best Coryat in S36 was $43,200... this is the 3rd time in the last five games I've beaten that. The flashcards are working!

Biggest FJ whiff in quite a while..... WECIB? Only solace was that it was a TS. :|
Last edited by mas3cf on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

astrohip wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:47 pm I felt there was an judging error made today. A clue's correct response should have been "Colorado State". Contestant said "Colorado", and Alex says correct and keeps going. At the time, I was surprised they accepted that, since I knew Colorado State was correct. Later, the judges (eg, Alex) corrected themselves, and took away his winnings and his wager.

This is exactly analogous to arguing that John Adams should get a BMS if the correct response is John Quincy Adams. You don't get two bites at the apple in that situation or in this one.

I was completely confused by the FJ! wording and ended up saying UK just to have something.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

I also ended up on GB after spending a full 20 seconds looking at the year 1945 and trying to figure out what World War 2 would have changed about Africa. Wonder if I would have caught that trap if I hadn't paid so much heed to the year.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I got UK, but I thought it was kind of arbitrary that one is supposed to know that specifically UK instead of GB appears on that specific map for a FJ. I imagine UK is used instead of GB generally, but to hinge a FJ on that fact I think is a bit unfair.