Tuesday, September 29, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 29, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE GREAT LAKES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An 1855 poem gives us this Native American name for the 1 Great Lake not known to us today by a Native American word or a tribe’s name

Eric Aiese: 8400-201=8199
Molly Lower: 8600-5500=3100
Mason Maggio: 20000-1000=19000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Gitche Gumee (Eric – Superior) (Molly – Michigan) (Mason – Lake Hiawatha)

Daily Doubles
Eric: 1800+1800
Molly: 11400-2000
Mason: 16000+4000

Coryats
Eric: 7400
Molly: 10600
Mason: 17200

Combined: 35,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Eric: 3600
Molly: 5400
Mason: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The reversal on syncope was one I did not know enough to expect although I had the correct response thanks to first aid classes.

Watching live I caught the little peek at the score displays sometimes shown in between the DJ! and FJ! rounds. It's not fun for most viewers to see a game unexpectedly turn into a runaway although at least in this case Mason was going to win anyway.

In his opening Alex said, "Let's hope everyone gets a right answer in Final Jeopardy!" Jinx!

Today was my turn to get befuddled by the way the FJ! clue was worded and I matched Eric for an incorrect response. I skated right past the "poem" portion of the clue and processed what was needed as which HOMES was not Native American in name. S seemed the best fit and I should have realized there was no way the players could go 0/3 on that and woke up to think better.

If it had come down to spelling I would have written two words and had an extra "M" to be close enough.

DD1 made me laugh as minutes before watching J! I was playing a round of the game on my Kindle Fire and had shot the moon. DD2 was not as funny as I got the other four gemstones while not figuring out in time the big clue.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Thank you Gordon Lightfoot.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Would've gotten the FJ, but would also have bungled the spelling, with an extra "e" after the first one, and an "oo" instead of a "u." Also might've made it one word.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

As both a Dr and someone who has unfortunately experienced syncope more times in my life than I can count, I was immediately yelling at my screen that lightheadedness was an incorrect response, and knew exactly what was being reversed when Alex started speaking. Syncope is by definition a loss of consciousness, as in a faint. Lightheadedness is a symptom that may precede the actual syncope but doesn’t have to progress to one.

I got the right answer on final but would definitely have made it one word. Also thought it was pretty rough of Alex to say Hiawatha wasn’t even close! It was the right poem the clue referred to at least
Leander

Post by Leander »

Golf wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:04 pm Thank you Gordon Lightfoot.
I never knew the lake in Hiawatha was Superior until I heard The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald long ago.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

I correctly deciphered this FJ! clue... and had no idea whatsoever. NHO.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Leander wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:55 pm
I never knew the lake in Hiawatha was Superior until I heard The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald long ago.
Happy to see the Gordon Lightfoot shoutouts. Knew FJ!, probably not the spelling. :mrgreen:
If lightheadedness didn't fly for syncope, my guess of dizzyness sure wasn't :?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A dozen years of participation in the Song of Hiawatha Pageant in Pipestone, MN, made this one a slam dunk. I'd have been hosed if I had to give the current name though, as I akways associate it with Lake Michigan for some reason.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:11 pm Would've gotten the FJ, but would also have bungled the spelling, with an extra "e" after the first one, and an "oo" instead of a "u." Also might've made it one word.
Yeah, I'm guessing I would have spelled it Gitcheegoomee (although it did take me 10 seconds to parse the damn clue).
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

Thanks to the Charlie Murphy Prince sketch on Chappelle's Show, I came up with Lake Minnetonka. Head slap when the answer was revealed - I knew that. :roll:
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

While watching FJ this evening, Neil Diamond inexplicably came to mind. After a look at Wikipedia, discovered that he had recorded a song for his 1972 "Moods" album entitled "Gitchy Goomy." (i hasten to add that I didn't buy this album, my parents did.)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $43,000 (48R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Was shocked when they accepted lightheadedness. The reversal sure worked out well for Mason!

I was a bit surprised FJ was a TS... two of the contestants were on the right track, at least. I can see how that would have been a bit tricky to parse under the lights.

Poll request: I got Tuesday's FJ via "Hiawatha" vs. via "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
Last edited by mas3cf on Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

NHO Gitche Gumee, and if you'd said it to me before tonight, I would have thought you were making a Moulin Rouge and/or Labelle reference. I followed the wording of the clue fairly easily. I spent the first 10 seconds plodding through HOMES in order, dutifully eliminating each word that sounded like a Native American word, until I got to Superior, which stuck out like a sore thumb. But lacking in knowledge of 1855 poetry, I went with my absorbed knowledge of 1977 radio and guessed Lake Wobegon, because it was the only Native Americanish-sounding word I could come up with besides Titicaca, which I knew was wrong. Apparently, according to Wiki, Keillor agreed with me that it sounded Native American. Geographically, it's not a bad guess.

I wasn't surprised at all for the reversal of "lightheadedness". It's a sad reversal, but it had to be made - lightheadedness (usually) comes BEFORE the full fledged "syncopal event". "Dizziness" isn't quite there, either. It's a tough clue when you've only got seconds to buzz in - if you were given a reasonable amount of time, I think it would be a slightly more fair clue.

Muffed "undercover boss" by saying "cake boss" because I wasn't paying close enough attention, but at least I made an accidental precall. I immediately precalled "Who's the Boss?" and "Boss Hogg", but knew only one of those would probably be there - and I was right. Boss Baby as a bottom row? I mean, I was primed for it because I literally watched Alec Baldwin refer to it on Match Game yesterday. And maybe I just happen to see it all the time on Verizon's startup screen, but that didn't seem like a tough one to me.

Pretty generous to give a virtual 50/50 on DD1. If you assume it's not a trick clue, there are only two logical choices: Qs or Qc. Having played hearts ad nauseum as a child on Hoyle's Book of Games on computer, it wasn't tough.

I can't stand birthstone/anniversary gift/astrological sign/state bird clues, but here we are. I got "Pearl" from "orient" simply because I used to go to a Chinese restaurant called "Pearl of the Orient" when my parents and I lived in Cleveland. We all returned 10 years later after moving away form Cleveland for a friend's wedding, and we went back there for dinner - the hostess said to my mom (who had easily recognizable hair), "We haven't seen you for awhile! Where have you been?"

Bad start to the week with 0/6 on FJ!. Will the California Curse be lifted tomorrow?
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Yes...I had it narrowed down to Superior and Gitchegoomee <probably destroyed spelling>...but I kept thinking of the lyrics of "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" while the THINK music was playing, and that helped immensely.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:23 pm
I can't stand birthstone/anniversary gift/astrological sign/state bird clues, but here we are.
I'm with you. Never had a reason to learn any of that. The good news is, it's a very limited data set. 12 birthstone flashcards and 12 zodiac flashcards, and you're off to the races. Here are some mnemonics that help me with a few of them:

April = 4th month -> 4th letter -> D is for Diamond
May = 5th month -> 5th letter -> E is for Emerald
July/ruby are both 4 letter words ending with y
S is for September and Sapphire
O is for October and Opal

The rest are just rote memorization, as far as I'm concerned...
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

I was very disappointed we didn't get a Dalek impersonation on "Exterminate." It's like some people don't even want to go viral.

Solved FJ, but it was a little too wordy for my taste. Might have been thrown off under the lights.