Fun with NBC's "The Weakest Link"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Fun with NBC's "The Weakest Link"

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Worst final round ever! Lowest pot ever. Extremely poor voting.

My Performance: Never saw "Community", guessed Chinese. Guessed Mai Thai for the cocktail. The only Bulba I know is Taras Bulba.

Bad Misses From Contestants: Alcatraz, Yield, Sumo Wrestling, Levi's, Beat a Congo, R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Celsius, Bill DiBlasio, Scoville, Yearning to Breathe Free, Nepal, Lungs, Whistler's Mother, Talc, August Wilson, Keith Haring, Windsor
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

"The Old Lady" :lol:

Too bad the player knew Anne Robinson as I would have preferred Jane's comment on a miss.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:48 pm I doubt I could ever be on this show. I know that I'd be yelling, "STOP BANKING AFTER EVERY SINGLE QUESTION!" several times each round.
At least in the first round you are pretty clearly wrong. Other rounds Im not entirely sure of the optimal strategy.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:55 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:48 pm I doubt I could ever be on this show. I know that I'd be yelling, "STOP BANKING AFTER EVERY SINGLE QUESTION!" several times each round.
At least in the first round you are pretty clearly wrong. Other rounds Im not entirely sure of the optimal strategy.
Honestly there are only two optimal strategies for this show: bank after every question or aim to build up a chain of 8 correct answers as often as possible. The former will guarantee a solid amount of money and the latter will mean at least one round’s worth of a solid bank. Think of the original run and how often Anne commented that the team had 8 correct answers in a row. I would aim to split the difference and try to build up the money chain to 8 correct answers for the first four rounds then bank as much as possible the last two. When the dollar values are increased on the links. Granted, if it is quickly obvious you are not with a bright team, then yes your best bet is to just bank after every question. In last week’s episode, I think the team got a sense that they were pretty solid and were able to build up thay $25,000 chain and ultimately the highest total this season.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

hanzz wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:29 am
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:55 pm
Honestly there are only two optimal strategies for this show: bank after every question or aim to build up a chain of 8 correct answers as often as possible. The former will guarantee a solid amount of money and the latter will mean at least one round’s worth of a solid bank. Think of the original run and how often Anne commented that the team had 8 correct answers in a row. I would aim to split the difference and try to build up the money chain to 8 correct answers for the first four rounds then bank as much as possible the last two. When the dollar values are increased on the links. Granted, if it is quickly obvious you are not with a bright team, then yes your best bet is to just bank after every question. In last week’s episode, I think the team got a sense that they were pretty solid and were able to build up thay $25,000 chain and ultimately the highest total this season.
I agree with Jeff, unless you think the group is going to get more than 5 consecutive questions correct, you should bank after every right question in the first round, as the first rungs of the ladder in that round are $1,000; 2,000; 3,000; 4,000; 5,000. There is no "additional" benefit from waiting, unless you think the group is going on a 6+ run, which obviously Monday night's group was not going to reach.

Round 2 and later, a tougher call. But yes, there were some hideous answers in this most recent game.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I finally watched some of it last night and was bored stiff. Ah well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:29 am
JayK33 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:32 am I wonder when the show will start doing celebrity or themed episodes like in the original version. Another thing I'd like to see added to this version are Champions League or Bad Losers episodes. UK Weakest Link had those in the early days. Bad Losers being people brought back for a second chance that felt they were unfairly voted off, and Champions League, as the title also suggests, being all-winners. Would especially be nice to see Kaya on the latter, see how much further she can take her perfect record.
So you want fewer hopefuls to be given the chance to play? Pass.
I wouldn’t mind a TOC but not a losers episode.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

They'd vote you off after the first round if they figured out you had a brain. If not, they'd certainly vote you off for telling them not to bank :lol:
--
Drowning in the pool
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

"Islands in the Stream" and "A Moveable Feast" are posthumously published books by which author?

My reaction was, "Yeah, right. No friggin' way." That kind of question is all but guaranteed to stop any kind of streak the players have going while meat and potatoes for J! boardies.

Jane: Who's still confused that I'm not wearing a tracksuit? :lol:
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Weird the the Same day we would have 2 Game shows ask about Fleabag.

That Matt/Hassana Love Story was Cringe.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Tonight, I played "When Nature Calls: Black Ops II" doing a pursuit mission in the African country of Steve. ;)

The pirate swallowed an entire balalaika as he shook his booty.

Loved Allison's strut.

Hasanna played extremely well. Such a shame the men voted her out in the end.

My Performance: SNL cast member not gonna happen. NHO Cravings website. Fire Festival is also completely new to me.

Bad Misses From Contestants: Gonzo, 50 Dimes, Inside Out, Arc de Triomphe

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Peppa Pig, Nitrous Oxide, Ernest Hemingway, James Patterson, Captain Underpants, Seville Orange, Au Pair, Standard & Poor's, Pearl S. Buck, Wednesday
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Futon has 4 episodes remaining and the next one is 1/11/21: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/guide/whe ... come-back/
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

I missed the Peppa Pig question (my two young kids wanted to know the question, as we turned it on just as the person being voted off that round said she was sorry she didn't know about Peppa). Can anyone help as to what the question was? Thanks.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Has anyone done an analysis of how a team would have done if they banked after every question compared to how they did in real life?
goongas

Post by goongas »

merica wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:46 pm I missed the Peppa Pig question (my two young kids wanted to know the question, as we turned it on just as the person being voted off that round said she was sorry she didn't know about Peppa). Can anyone help as to what the question was? Thanks.
What type of animal is Peppa was the essence of the question.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

goongas wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:02 pm
merica wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:46 pm I missed the Peppa Pig question (my two young kids wanted to know the question, as we turned it on just as the person being voted off that round said she was sorry she didn't know about Peppa). Can anyone help as to what the question was? Thanks.
What type of animal is Peppa was the essence of the question.
Thanks goongas!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yay, new ep. tonight.

If you're watching the television show "Dr. Pimple Popper" to see her pop someone's pimple, what network are you watching?

Violet: YouTube?

Young people. :roll:
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Tonight May have Been the Best Episode. they did make a couple changes. she didnt mention "no chain making no banking" and the final 2 both got a post game interview.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I agree this was the best episode so far. The nuclear physicist should’ve just said he was a student. The detective was pretty smart. Is $82,000 the largest prize so far? That first boot was most deserved.
LucarioSnooperVixey

While on vacation, I had some delicious Baba Booey and tossed some Didgeridoos. Then we posted some Mimes on the internet.

Did very well this episode. Only two misses.

NHO Dr. Pimple Popper. I am also a young person. It literally could have been ANY Yankee inducted into the Hall of Fame that year.

Unsurprising Misses From Contestants: Camilla, Bunsen burner, Mahershala Ali, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mike Pompeo, Snickers, Sir Francis Drake

Bad Misses From Contestants: Birthday, Macy*s, Range, South America, Al Gore, Marble, Book of Mormon
Douglas Squasoni