Monday, October 5, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Monday, October 5, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R (FINALLY!)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Penguins of Madagascar, Bear, (Pacemaker), Levites, Virginia Woolf, Reagan National Airport, (JFK), (Cicero), Julie Walters
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:33 pm
mas3cf wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:21 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:17 pm
Given our recent discussions of what is acceptable would you have taken “Who is Kobe?” if FJ had been about Kobe Bryant? While he was commonly referred to by his first name, it still isn’t his whole name. I would reject it.
I would accept Kobe. Much like Elvis or Michelangelo, he is commonly known by his first name, and unlike Elvis (with Costello) there isn't another noteworthy Kobe, at least that I'm aware of.
Hope this isn't the start of some new beef...
Oh, you wag, you.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:10 pm

In the random coincidences box, I noted that two clues after the JFK airport DD, we got a clue informing us that Blackbeard was killed on November 22. Of course, that would be the date on the old Julian calendar since non-Catholic England hadn't yet made the switch to the Gregorian. So on the calendar we're using, Blackbeard died on November 9 and there's no coincidence.
We also had Aldous Huxley in a clue.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,800
49 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: pacemaker (DD), Levites, Reagan National Airport, JFK Airport (DD), Cicero (DD)

The toughest part of FJ! for me was that I didn't remember Muhammad Ali having died. I'm sure I was aware of it at the time, but my current mind thought he was still with us. Even so, "guy who played Ali in a movie + former world heavyweight boxing champion" was a pretty compelling TOM.
talkingaway wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:46 pm The SA node is known in medical circles as the pacemaker of the heart - that's the term that's used. While pacemakers do indeed regulate the heart's rate and rhythm, that's not the term that's really used in most textbooks. You could say "the pacemaker of the heart is the regulator of the heart's rate", but you wouldn't really say "the regulator of the heart is the pacemaker of the heart's rate".

And, technically speaking, the heart has other things that can be regulated - like blood flow. You could argue the dilation/constriction of the coronary arteries is the regulator of the heart in terms of blood flow. At the bare minimum, it would require a BMS and shouldn't be accepted as an answer. And I don't think it's too picky to neg off the bat without a reversal.
This is all relevant but not dispositive. What really matters is whether the sinoatrial node, by virtue of emitting electrical impulses that cause the heart to contract, could correctly be referred to as the heart's natural regulator. I can see a case for a BMS, but an outright neg seems like the wrong call to me.
Sprinkles are for winners.
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ACW »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:17 pm I was a bit surprised it was 1/3 but if you don’t know who Lewis is you are in trouble. I guess if you know Smith played Ali it helps but as said above the movie isn’t very recent. I got it from knowing Lewis was a boxing champ and then Smith playing Ali sealed the deal.

Given our recent discussions of what is acceptable would you have taken “Who is Kobe?” if FJ had been about Kobe Bryant? While he was commonly referred to by his first name, it still isn’t his whole name. I would reject it.
I'd allow it. But the fact that one of the contestants thought it was Kobe instead if Ali, and the fact the other didn't know... :oops: :oops:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:03 am

In the random coincidences box, I noted that two clues after the JFK airport DD, we got a clue informing us that Blackbeard was killed on November 22. Of course, that would be the date on the old Julian calendar since non-Catholic England hadn't yet made the switch to the Gregorian. So on the calendar we're using, Blackbeard died on November 9 and there's no coincidence.
Well spotted! Just needed a C. S. Lewis clue to make things complete.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:31 am
Volante wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:33 pm
mas3cf wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:21 pm I would accept Kobe. Much like Elvis or Michelangelo, he is commonly known by his first name, and unlike Elvis (with Costello) there isn't another noteworthy Kobe, at least that I'm aware of.
Hope this isn't the start of some new beef...
Oh, you wag, you.
Since we're talking about the Bible ... Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

This game was preempted in Cleveland for the (delayed/rescheduled) NFL game after another team was hit by Covid. I have a bad, bad feeling that this NFL season is not going to conclude the usual, hoped-for way.

(BTW between Smith and Lewis, I managed to get to Ali.)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:46 pm :D :? :D on DDs, doing better than Phillip.
Easy enough to follow the path to Muhammad Ali on FJ :mrgreen:
Is there a good way to distinguish between Orly & Charles de Gaulle airports? :?:
Orly has been around since the early 1930s and was a major Luftwaffe base during WWII. Charles de Gaulle replaced it as Paris's main airport in the 1970s, so it's newer, bigger, and busier.

Another Paris airport tidbit Jeopardy likes is that Lindbergh landed at Le Bourget, which is also home to the annual Paris Air Show.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:03 am

Given the recent fussiness, I half expected a BMS on "Huxley" to make sure the Melissa wasn't thinking of Julian. Either Aldous's brother, or the calendar.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Exceptional J! round for me. 25/30 right, though Restaurants was my only run.

And of course, a fantastic J! round means a not so good DJ! 13 right, none of which were in British Actresses.

Tom Bradley was new to me, though that could be the genericness of the name.

Will Smith and a name I don't recognize. Could be anyone. Those names aren't sending any signals to me at all. Had no guess.

Lach Trash: Madagascar, Reagan International
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

John Boy wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:32 pm This game was preempted in Cleveland for the (delayed/rescheduled) NFL game
FWIW Wheel and J! aired in their entirety after The Late Late Show.