Wednesday, October 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, October 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Plactus wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:02 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:40 pm
Plactus wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:52 pm The section where Abraham says that is skipped when the Binding of Isaac comes up as a reading in church, which made me hesitate a little, but no other options came to mind.
Seriously? Which lectionary?
Double-checking just to make sure it wasn't just me not remembering (which would not be completely out of the question), I found this, which lists the First Reading for the Second Sunday of Lent as "Gn 22:1-2, 9a, 10-13, 15-18," which skips 22:8 ("'Son,' Abraham answered, 'God himself will provide the sheep for the holocaust.'").
That's really interesting. Thanks for digging it up for me. The Anglican lectionaries--1979, RCL, ACNA--all read straight from 1 through 18. Looks like you guys have the option to hear the whole thing at Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday. And even then, there's the option to shorten it to just the verses you note above. Rattle some cages and make them change it. You know, for the sake of Catholics studying to be on Jeopardy! :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Very surprising TS on FJ. I always found it fascinating that it is God that tells Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, but it is an angel that ends up staying his hand.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Land of the Eagles - - - > Albania?? That was not on my radar

Also NHO Wat Tyler
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:12 pm Land of the Eagles - - - > Albania?? That was not on my radar
My soccer knowledge helped me get that one.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Is it possible that Abraham's remark to Isaac in Gen 22:8 is the first recorded joke?? Pretty dark!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:12 pm Land of the Eagles - - - > Albania?? That was not on my radar

check out the Albanian flag
Total game show career losings = $171,522
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

As someone who was a well-behaved child in church but consistently 100% zoned out....I still managed to get it in 1 second, with a 30 second skip to get right to the answer. But the category scared me - there's so many characters and names that you could list them all and complain that there are too many. It would be a nice jeremiad.

At least Holly sounded like she knew she was dead wrong when she gave "Lincoln" as the winner of the 1876 election....and then Sheldon comes up with Annie Leibovitz when the date "1936" is on the cover. I knew Life was around at least in the 50s, and I knew Annie Leibovitz couldn't possibly be more than 80, so the "female photographer = Leibovitz" Pavlov was discarded for me. Granted, I have the luxury of playing on my couch, while they're working hard to impress Alex.

I love "Inherit the Wind", but for the life of me I can't figure out why I always want to say Bryan-T- instead of Bryan. I stopped myself early this time.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Yeah... precalling Song of the Sea for Animated Movies was probably a tad optimistic on my part... :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:58 pm I love "Inherit the Wind", but for the life of me I can't figure out why I always want to say Bryan-T- instead of Bryan. I stopped myself early this time.
There is a three-named William Bryant in American literary history, namely William Cullen Bryant; perhaps there are some crossed lines there. I keep the names straight by thinking poeT = BryanT and politiciaN = Bryan.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,400
46 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: ore, Geneva, cubit, Rutherford B. Hayes, Barry Goldwater, The Netherlands, LifeLock, Bed Bath & Beyond (DD), French Revolution

Shockingly, this game marked the first appearance of the name "Turdsworth" in the J-Archive.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:53 am Shockingly, this game marked the first appearance of the name "Turdsworth" in the J-Archive.
But not the first appearance of "turd" in a clue; besides embedded appearances in "sturdy" and "Saturday," it also showed up in a GOAT game as part of an Edvard Grieg quotation.