Thursday, October 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

(Happy Birthday to MarkBarrett!)
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE AMERICAS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Home to more than 20 million people & 3 different official languages, this island is about 600 miles from the continental U.S.

Garrett Marcotte: 7000+1000=8000
Kevin Walsh: 15600-300=15300 (New Champ)
Amy Judd Lieberman: 7600+7600=15200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Hispaniola (Hispañola) (Kevin – Bermuda)

Daily Doubles
Garrett: 2400+2400
Garrett: 11000-4000
Kevin: 13200+1200

Coryats
Garrett: 9400
Kevin: 15600
Amy: 7600

Combined: 32,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Garrett: 7000
Kevin: 4400
Amy: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kevin’s IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3090011/

As was typical for each of Garrett’s games there were stumpers that viewers would like to see a potential ToCer get such as the G. Washington artist.

Garrett successfully farmed DD1. At DD2 Garrett trailed 11000 to 11200 (Amy had 3600) and Garrett lost 4000. A 3000 wager and Garrett has four wins.

The JAMES BOND category must have been fairly easy as I don’t need two hands to count the films I’ve seen in the series, yet got all five clues correct.

Nice timing with the casual dining chain Rolling Stones clue. Ouch.

On DJ30 ($800) Kevin led 16400 to 8400 to 7000. Kevin tried for the lock and negged. Amy also negged and that her the match. That left Kevin in runaway position and the lock was sealed when Garrett did not offer a guess.

The FJ! category had me spend the break making sure I could run the Central American and South American countries quickly while reminding myself to check on Canada or Mexico if necessary.

My next thought was a wish not to mix up Bermuda and Bahamas as I’ve done previously. Before seeing the clue I knew something Caribbean was possible and I don’t have all of them memorized. Again looking on previous history I did tell myself not to forget the Virgin Islands.

The FJ! clue gave me a good idea where not to look and where to look. I dismissed the Bs and Cuba and fortunately hit upon the right place next. Everything checked out and I matched Garrett’s spelling as I don’t do tildes unless necessary.

I’m glad the clue asked for the island name and not the 3 languages.

Thank you archivists for the message in post one.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Great final clue, took me about 6 seconds to figure out why there would be 3 languages, then it came easy.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6840

One category with images and only one other clue with media. Thank you writers.

7800 for me in trash with just enough to win from the 4th podium.

Garrett and Amy can revisit their negs for missing the chance to take the game with their FJ! clue solves.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

The distance was a red herring as I thought of Bermuda first, then realized that "three languages" pointed to Hispaniola. :mrgreen:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:31 pm The distance was a red herring as I thought of Bermuda first, then realized that "three languages" pointed to Hispaniola. :mrgreen:
That and the population of Bermuda is 63,000 ...

(if Bermuda had the population of Hispaniola, the each inhabitant would live in a 5'x5' plot. :) )
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Unusually poor performance from me in Word Origins, as I got only $200. Can't say I've heard of "sardonic" or "acrimony" before (at least not often enough to determine their meaning), was thinking too clinically on "assistant", and blanked on "abdicate".

All but $200 in Nursery Rhymes, as I had a brainfart and said "Baa Baa Black Sheep" instead of "Little Bo Peep".

I thought the facts in the President category were extremely obscure from $400 down.

Brain-farted three times in $1 Bill, getting only the top and bottom.

World Is Not Enough was a complete goose egg for me. I could have taken ten guesses on $400 and never hit on Mars.

No guess on FJ! The Caribbean always messes with my brain because I always picture it far, far, FAR further away from the Americas than it really is.

Lach trash: Little Boy Blue, Gilbert Stuart, wikiwiki, nihilistic
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A USC grad who also wrote an award-winning Star Wars fan film? It's great to have somebody to root for!

Looks like he was also a producer on the documentary Zemeckis adapted into Welcome to Marwen.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $33,400 (45R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Very rough DJ round for me. Typically do well in literature, but the World category hit on all kinds of things I've never heard of. 1/6 on the $2000 row didn't help anything. I should have gotten 4 of the 5 I missed. Grr.

For Word Origins $600, I had "confidant" which is also nine letters. Judges?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:31 pm
I thought the facts in the President category were extremely obscure from $400 down.
Not necessarily obscure but required a bit of thinking in some cases.

$200: 4-year presidential hiatus, that can only be Cleveland even if you whiff on the muppet clue.

$400: First Lady named Grace is Coolidge, a bit of YEKIOYD but two Amherst clues should point at Massachusetts Presidents so at least narrows the field.

$600: Gerald Ford is the only President appointed as VP rather than elected, so the only President to receive a confirmation vote.

$800: Wrote opinions implies this was a Supreme Court judge, and Taft is the only President with that on the resumee. In theory this could be a case from a lower court but I don't know that any other President served as a judge at any level.

$1000: Grant is one of many military Presidents but here you'd have to know about his drinking, which is pretty famous. Probably not the only President with a military and drinking background but took office at 46 serves to sufficiently pin the clue, in all likelihood.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Amy! Noooooooo!!!!!

I’m sorry. The what diamond? I can’t even spell it

Ran a few categories tonight but needed extra think time on word origins. Amy was so quick

Garrett met his match today. Not a bad guess on Discworld. Has anyone here heard of Ringworld?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:23 pm I’m sorry. The what diamond? I can’t even spell it
I almost said "Klopman". Thanks a lot, Garfield.
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 pm

For Word Origins $600, I had "confidant" which is also nine letters. Judges?
9 letters, but fits no other part of the clue...A "confidant" is not an assistant, and the word comes from confident.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Terrible game for me. I would've looked like an idiot up there. Got zilch in WORD ORIGINS which would usually be a good category for me.

I did get Ringworld and Calvin Coolidge. For the latter, he was born John Calvin Coolidge. John Calvin is famous for what are sometimes called the doctrines of grace. So I always remember Silent Cal's wife's name.

A whiff on FJ to complete the dismal evening. This was a good FJ clue too. It takes a bit of thought, but anyone able to get on the show should be able to land in the right place with plenty of time.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:26 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:23 pm I’m sorry. The what diamond? I can’t even spell it
I almost said "Klopman". Thanks a lot, Garfield.
Koh-I-Noor was an instaget for me. Dunno why. Why does anything stick in my head?

The story is told that when the stone was first presented to the monarch for whom it was intended, he was so overwhelmed and awe-struck at the magnificence of the great stone that he gasped and uttered "Mountain of Light" (in his native language, of course).
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

As a Canadian, I was unfamiliar with the restaurant chain Ruby Tuesday.

I looked it up and apparently it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy yesterday.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Accidentally spoiled FJ! earlier today because I was playing yesterday's J! and looking at the archive, and accidentally moused over "Today's FJ!" - my eyes were drawn to the en-yay. I didn't see the category, so I didn't know if it was the ship or the island, but there's maybe a 70/30 shot I'd get the clue. I'm aware of J! drilling on the difference between just one of DR or Haiti and the whole of Hispaniola, so that wouldn't trip me, and I think I would guess that "island" is purposely used instead of "country" because there are two countries that share the island - although it also leaves a lot of room for islands-but-not-quite-countries like Aruba (part of the Netherlands), etc.

I hate when I miss a clue because I don't get the category. "Sam Adams" in BEER / ME wasn't that hard if you know you're looking for a beer that's a Massachusetts governor, and if it had been played second, I'd spring on it.

More half-knowledge where "That sci-fi movie with Jodie Foster that came out around the summer of 1997" doesn't cut it for "Contact".

Was Taft/Philippines done in a recent game show? Weakest Link? I swear I heard that connection very recently, but I blanked.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:11 pm As a Canadian, I was unfamiliar with the restaurant chain Ruby Tuesday.
And yet I'm familiar with the restaurant chain The Keg (Steakhouse + Bar). (Which I see, having looked it up, that they do have some U.S. locations -- but I really only know it from their advertising behind home plate at Blue Jays games.)

Anyway, Ruby Tuesday apparently does have at least one location in Canada. (Although since it's in Niagara Falls, I suspect its clientele is almost entirely American tourists.)