Tuesday, October 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY PRONOUNS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Thanks to a horror film, this novel returned to the bestseller lists in 2017, some 30 years after reaching No. 1

Kevin Walsh: 14400+4400=18800 (4x = $81,700)
Alex Switzky: 0
Natt Supab: minus 400

Correct response:
Spoiler
It

Daily Doubles
Alex: 3800+100
Kevin: 8800+2800
Alex: 5900-5900

Coryats
Kevin: 12800
Alex: 6800
Natt: minus 400

Combined: 19,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kevin: 6000
Alex: 4300
Natt: minus 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hey! A Smoot-Hawley clue for Hammer.

What a surprise, the NASCAR IN VEGAS category was played last. With all video guest clues it played to completion. No surprise the DJ! round ended after clue 26. It was good timing (or bad timing depending on one's perspective) as Alex had just lost everything on DD3 and Natt was already in the red.

Kevin did not surprise me with his wager of $4400 on the FJ! clue as a miss would have dropped him to a pretty 10K on the nose.

Kevin's 4x total leaves him lagging on the tracker as he did not pass:
Spoiler
Sarah Jett Rayburn: 89,300
V3: $89,001
Zach Newkirk: $85,669

With 12 ahead of Kevin he really needs a fifth win to play again in 2021.
The FJ! category had me try one precall of I, Claudius.

The FJ! clue was such a choke for me that I can only laugh instead of being hauntingly mad at myself. Read the book, seen the miniseries, seen both theater versions (in the same seat) on opening weekend? Check!

I tried the math and took 30 years exactly to 1987 without ever making an adjustment to a surrounding year. Nothing came to me. 2017 horror? Uh.... blank. Panic set in as I wanted to add to my streak of 9 in a row. I wrote Us to have something even though I knew that was completely wrong. Time was up and I was toast.

When Kevin's response was shown I was in such shock I cannot remember what I said aloud while I'm sure it was some kind of surprise statement and nothing with expletives.

There were so many paths to solve the clue and yet I failed to do it. Run pronouns, Pavlov off horror, movie current events...

Blessings to the first person that posts a similar sickening scenario to miss it so that I have company on a clue that will top 70% (if not much higher) in the poll.

This kind of fits to have it occur on the same day for getting a jury duty notice in the mail. Just not my day.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Glad I don't have to type Alex Switzky a bunch of times tomorrow: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6843

There is enough Lach Trash to win this game from the 4th podium.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

There may have been enough Lach Trash to win from 4th podium, but the clues just seemed off. Not well written at all.
FJ! was an instaget. Remember the category :mrgreen:
ACW

Post by ACW »

Category makes FJ too easy (though it's pretty easy on its own).

What happens if he'd bet it all and got it wrong? Can someone win FJ with 0? Is it possible for NOBODY to win FJ?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Haven't seen this episode yet, but the stats make it look like a bloodbath.....
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

ACW wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:51 pm Category makes FJ too easy (though it's pretty easy on its own).

What happens if he'd bet it all and got it wrong? Can someone win FJ with 0? Is it possible for NOBODY to win FJ?
Three new contestants (or perhaps two new contestants and bring back Zach Newkirk - although it's too early for that, probably.) It's the same as if it had been a tie for top score before FJ! and both players bet it all (and third is eliminated or bets it all, too). I think that case has happened before, but I don't know if anyone has ever pulled an "accidental Clavin". I imagine the contestant coordinators probably remind the potential champ of the somewhat esoteric rule that $1 is required to play in the next game - not all J! contestants are J! nerds, and that's fine.

Kind of interesting that you can critique a wager even if you're the sole contestant. His small bet guaranteed that he'd be the first one (so far) cut from the ToC of the 4-game champs. To me, it'd be worth it to bet big and lock up the current 10th spot on the leaderboard - a likely invite if he were to lose the next day. But I probably wouldn't have the hubris to look up the "TOC tracker" before my show, and I doubt our current champ did, either.

I watched this on locast, except for FJ! - skipped ahead to the archive. Instaget. I saw Part 1 at home (and the original miniseries) before seeing Part 2 in the theaters last year. It would be interesting to have a clue combine "pronouns" and the movie "It" and "Us".

Best moment: The guy who looks like Seth Rogen gets CBD right. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Overall, I didn't find it surprising that this, of all games, was a single player for FJ!. The board was hard to me. My lowest % correct all season - the TREE OF A KIND, NASCAR, and normally friendly AWARDS AND HONORS categories did me in. Great Leeroy Jenkins bet from not-Seth Rogen. I'm glad he had the guts to do what every contestant should do in his situation, and swallow his pride and risk not making FJ!. Wouldn't blame him if he held $1 back though, just for the extra camera time.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Poll request for Saturday: I have heard of "gum trees" (thanks Kookaburra) but I didn't realize that was another name for Eucalyptus.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

At $17,000, this game had the most LT so far this season. Expect a poll to come soon. Too many negs kept me from a win from the fourth.
First single-player Final Jeopardy since March 2015:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4847
I play the winner of that game tomorrow in LL (she's on here too).
Hoping for a third lap
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $35,800 (45R, 2W)
DD 2/3
DJ :mrgreen:

LT $11,200 - not quite good enough for the 4th podium victory

On DD3, my mind went: Cubist = artist + female American in France -> Mary Cassatt. That's the price you pay for training on Pavlovs, I guess. Ran the NASCAR category, so I guess I absorbed a thing or two by osmosis living in the South.

Kevin is doing phenomenally, but it would be fun to see someone give him a run for his money...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yes, I got the Smoot-Hawley clue.

Why the hell was NASA in the clue? What do they have to do with droughts?

Writing seemed really off today. Felt like a lot of TOMs were steering me further away from the answer instead of closer, like the above. Not too surprising that a board this rocky resulted in... that.

Despite going 0/6 on the $1,000 boxes, I was otherwise OK in J! Totally bombed DJ! though with only 9R, 4 of which were in Medical History.

Literary Pronouns + horror film = that's gotta be "It", right?

Lach Trash: bank, maple, Daytona 500, ICU

====
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:47 pm Poll request for Saturday: I have heard of "gum trees" (thanks Kookaburra) but I didn't realize that was another name for Eucalyptus.
This.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Football on the main channel and the Amy Coney Barrett hearings on the digital subchannel, with no indication of a later airing. Ugh.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I have no words

Frozen in the COVID contestant pool, with only my volume of Edna St. Vincent Marie's poetry to console me

This game was bittersweet without the sweet

I'm making "Tender Buttons" my new BDSM safe word
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:54 pm The FJ! clue was such a choke for me that I can only laugh instead of being hauntingly mad at myself. Read the book, seen the miniseries, seen both theater versions (in the same seat) on opening weekend? Check!
Sad, sad clown!!

ETA: The clue would be slightly less horrible if they changed the category to Best Selling Novels or Horror Novels or something to that effect.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Preempted by the rescheduled NFL game and won’t be able to watch in the morning, so I thought I’d come to the recap threads here and Reddit around 2:30 p.m.. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o I also missed the last triple-zero game, so maybe a blessing and a curse?

I salute whomever decides to put together a NASCAR category. Is it too much to ask for such a category whenever I get on the show? :lol:

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 pm
On DD3, my mind went: Cubist = artist + female American in France -> Mary Cassatt. That's the price you pay for training on Pavlovs, I guess. Ran the NASCAR category, so I guess I absorbed a thing or two by osmosis living in the South.
Tender Buttons was a running gag in my honors English class because of Stein's style in comparison to some of the other poetry we read that year. Time periods are of course close between those two, but Cassatt is known for her place among the Impressionist crowd; not a fan of Cubists.

talkingaway wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm Kind of interesting that you can critique a wager even if you're the sole contestant. His small bet guaranteed that he'd be the first one (so far) cut from the ToC of the 4-game champs. To me, it'd be worth it to bet big and lock up the current 10th spot on the leaderboard - a likely invite if he were to lose the next day. But I probably wouldn't have the hubris to look up the "TOC tracker" before my show, and I doubt our current champ did, either.
I don’t think it’s hubris at all to at least have a couple numbers in mind; like you implied, it’s just another thing you can do to prepare yourself in the best case scenario. In Kevin's case, I'd be a bit more inclined to do so because of the two wins already locked down entering the tape day. But I agree with you, there are other things that are more worth your time than trying to figure out a projected total winnings number LOL. Good luck to Kevin in game #5 tomorrow!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm
Kind of interesting that you can critique a wager even if you're the sole contestant. His small bet guaranteed that he'd be the first one (so far) cut from the ToC of the 4-game champs. To me, it'd be worth it to bet big and lock up the current 10th spot on the leaderboard - a likely invite if he were to lose the next day. But I probably wouldn't have the hubris to look up the "TOC tracker" before my show, and I doubt our current champ did, either.
If it were me, I'd be way, way, way more focused on trying to win the game in front of me and take home money available immediately than worrying about what dollar amount I need to edge out other 4-game champs.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 pmWhy the hell was NASA in the clue? What do they have to do with droughts?
The short answer is that it's there because NASA did the study.

It also indicated that it's a(n) historical study and not a contemporary one. And 70% of the continent combined with 1,000 years of history suggests it's based on a planetary survey. NASA has quite a bit of experience with planetary surveys, both on its home planet and on other planets.

All of which is to say, I got it wrong, too. Rereading the clue, it's clear that all the obvious alternate answers that trigger off of "NASA" are obviously wrong. Seeing the correct response and looking back at the clue, it's clearly the only thing it could be. But not an easy one to get.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm
If it were me, I'd be way, way, way more focused on trying to win the game in front of me and take home money available immediately than worrying about what dollar amount I need to edge out other 4-game champs.
Most of the time, checking the list would be a useless endeavor because shows are taped so far in advance. But in this case it should definitely be researched. Not that difficult.

But yes, one should be focused on solely winning the game in front of you. But in this rare case, the game was already won. So then that number should come into play and possibly change a FJ wager. Same with a lock game and some wiggle room.

The word isn't hubris, it's confidence. Or just doing your homework.