Thursday, October 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PSYCHOLOGICAL TERMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Physician "Cannonball Mike" Friedman defined this behavioral type & admitted the term applied to himself

Kevin Walsh: 2000-0=2000
Daniel Lee: 12000-10801=1199
Kristin Hucek: 11400-8700=2700 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Type A (Kevin – obsessive-compulsive) (Daniel – Borderline Per) (Kristin – risk-taker)

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 2800-1000
Kristin: 13000-2000
Daniel: 8000+4000

Coryats
Kevin: 3000
Daniel: 8800
Kristin: 13400

Combined: 25,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kevin: 4400
Daniel: 2400
Kristin: 4200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ON THE BILLBOARD CHARTS IN 2020 played last though viewers at least got to see all five clues. It's always frustrating when a favorable category does not play to completion such as AMERICAN PLAYWRIGHTS having two not seen while my preference would have been for BERRY SPECIAL to have been saved for the end.

Daniel found DD3 on the last clue played of the DJ! round and bet enough to have the lead. His reward? Being in first was not the place to be for that FJ! clue.

That would have been something if Kevin had solved the FJ! clue, had the chance to steal the game, and then lost because of the zero wager. Instead Kristin did not stay above Kevin's best of 4000 yet had enough remaining to get the win.

The FJ! category had me only precall id/ego/super-ego as I was drawing a blank on a term I could not recall and spent the rest of the break trying to dig it up. After the game it finally came to me, "bipolar".

The FJ! clue had me not getting a sense of where to go with it and the best I could do was to picture a "cannonball" as a dive into a pool, so going down, so depression, and wrote "manic-depressive".

Yeah, exciting clue. What fun. So interesting. Glad I learned something. So creative. All it did was leave the players at 1/6 on big clues.

Kristin was the best on the buzzer today, so we'll see what she can do with a break in game one. Kevin did a lot with his good fortune on his debut.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

all i could come up with is daredevil for the final.

Kristen put her win at risk with that bet.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6845

12 clues with links. :twisted:

13K in trash for a front door 4th podium win and less than half of that can get you through the back door.

$7800 for me though useless with the FJ! clue miss.

Kevin's stats:
Coryat average: 15,700
FJs: 3/6
DDs: 4/5
Position entering the FJ! round: Lock+Lock+Lock+1st+3rd

For comparison purposes with other 5x champs:
Spoiler
Sam Kavanaugh
4/6
9/10
1+L+1+L+1+3

Paul Trifiletti
4/6
7/7
2+1+1+1+2+2
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Speak for yourself, Mark. I would've been happy if Billboard 2020 never saw the light of day.
How is Glass Menagerie a TS? Tennessee Williams is a Pavlov for that play.
Is it just me or is the writing just terrible this season? Nothing to pin FJ on, went with bipolar. :?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My initial reaction, going by the diversity of incorrect responses, was that this was not a great Final clue, but the more I dwell on it, the more I like it. The nickname provides sufficient TOM to narrow down what they must be talking about. The fact that the clue calls for a novel term eliminates obviously older words.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:38 pm My initial reaction, going by the diversity of incorrect responses, was that this was not a great Final clue, but the more I dwell on it, the more I like it. The nickname provides sufficient TOM to narrow down what they must be talking about. The fact that the clue calls for a novel term eliminates obviously older words.
I think that 'Cannonball Mike' (and 2010 in the other day's FJ!) is more RH than TOM.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

My first thought in FJ was type A, then I thought of alpha male, and I wondered whether I could write simply "alpha" (or draw the Greek character, had I known it. Turns out it looks like this: 'Α') and get credit for either. I found the same problem with both, though--when we "admit", isn't it usually something disreputable or at least embarrassing? Also, am I to assume that someone else invented the term "type B"? I went with workoholic (my spelling. I don't like the word in the first place, but I'm not writing a language column here).
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:25 pm How is Glass Menagerie a TS? Tennessee Williams is a Pavlov for that play.
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? Streetcar Named Desire? There isn't a single Pavlov for Williams.

Actually got 2 more than I thought I would on the Billboard category.

I did guess Type-A, but with very little confidence.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $31800 (43R, 3W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

Had no idea gin came from the Netherlands. FJ not my favorite ever. Too much stabbing in the dark required. The best ones are the ones that force you to think, but then when you've got it, you know you've got it.

My brain felt a little off kilter all game. Of course, my two young daughters were making a huge ruckus 10 feet away, so I'm gonna go ahead and blame it on that. :lol: Lots of clues that I should have gotten and just didn't get there.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

My immediate reaction was "type A???" During the 30 seconds, I also came up with daredevil, exhibitionist, and masochist, but I had to think that those were older than the time period that was being implied, so I stuck with my initial guess.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I also wanted more AMERICAN PLAYWRIGHTS, mostly because it's always been a weak-point, but I've studied it very hard and was 3/3 on the revealed clues.

+1 daredevil
+1 did not like the clue at all
+1 flabbergasted that Kristin even gave Kevin the chance to win
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:25 pm Speak for yourself, Mark. I would've been happy if Billboard 2020 never saw the light of day.
How is Glass Menagerie a TS? Tennessee Williams is a Pavlov for that play.
Is it just me or is the writing just terrible this season? Nothing to pin FJ on, went with bipolar. :?
I agree regarding Billboard of any year. Another guaranteed 0-for-5 for me. Ugh.

I agree with going slack-jawed that Glass Menagerie was a TS. Hard to fathom.

Just you? No. Not that the wording of clues is off or anything, but some of the subject matter has been beyond obscure. Cannonball Mike??? Really?! Of course I've only been studying psychology for the past half a century. Given another half a century I might have come across him somewhere, but I doubt it. I wagged "extroverted" with extremely low degree of confidence, just to have something written down. Nothing in this clue that I'm aware of points to the clinical definition of Type A.

If I had been on the show I might have gone for the cheap laugh and put down "high caliber."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I thought of Type A, but couldn't make any connection back to Cannonball, so I went with 'adrenaline junkie'. I don't think it was a very good clue.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another FJ miss here. Even after hearing the answer I thought it was poor.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Animals and Word Puzzles.

On the other hand, A Visit to the Tailor had "0/5 for Hammer" written all over it. I could have taken 100 guesses and never gotten "Cashmere".

NHO the bottom two songs in Billboard, nor their artists.

Also 0/5 in World History and Stairs.

Scottish Reformation and Laura Wingfield = Glass Menagerie both seemed steep for the top box.

No guess on FJ! This just seemed like a dud clue.

Lach trash: wood, Lost in Space
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:30 pm I did guess Type-A, but with very little confidence.
Same here. And when the think music was over, Alex said, "What does the word cannonball imply?" which left me with even less confidence. I wondered if I should've gone with my other possibilities--thrill-seeker or daredevil. Cannonball implies those a lot more than the neurotic, organized, impatient Type A.

Sounded to me as though Daniel said "Brooklynd" at one point. Fortunately, they were going for the Bronx, so there was no question of whether to credit him.

Nailbiter of a finale. There shouldn't be any possibility of a win from third. But the contestant in second often provides one anyway. Kristin bet enough to give Kevin a chance on a sole solve, but not enough to win on a TS. When I saw Kevin's bet of $0 I wondered if we were in for a heartbreaking moment where Kristin lost due to overwagering. (Kevin's was a good bet though I'd probably recommend $799 for a slight edge on the get with likely no downside on the miss. That could have paid off here against Kristin's overwager.) Kristin managed to win, but with thousands less than if she'd bet wisely. That's my favorite outcome for winning on a bad bet.