Tuesday, October 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL MUSIC

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Part of this famous 12-minute opening piece is called "March of the Swiss Soldiers"

Kristin Hucek: minus 3600
Carlos Chaidez: 20400-10000=10400 (New Champ)
Maddie Kahan: 4600-4600=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
"William Tell Overture" (Carlos – William Tell) (Maddie – La Bagatelle)

Daily Doubles
Carlos: 2000-2000
Maddie: 3600-1000
Carlos: 9000+7000

Coryats
Kristin: minus 3600
Carlos:16200
Maddie: 5600

Combined: 18,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kristin: 800
Carlos: 600
Maddie: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Oh, yeah, don't you just hate it when you get "Grohl-rolled"? :lol:

When the players did not solve clue 1 for "roll out the..." that kind of indicated how the game would go.

8 clues into the DJ! round the board read: 800-600-600

In San Francisco-ese (or is it California-ese?) I have to disagree with some of those 3-syllable words. Big 10___ 2 syllables out here. Add numbers and divide by 3? Nope, only two. Sun, verbs and dormant bat? Yes, 3.

The FJ! category could have a precall list with over 50 things in play for the FJ! round. I limited my list to 3 Bs, Handel, Wagner and Mozart.

The FJ! clue had me know what to do with the nationality and unlike Carlos I made my response 3 words. Instead of picturing a horse and a mask I pictured plans and an amusement park.

Carlos recognized the opportunity at DD3 with a second box level and his opponents at minus 400 & 2600. Bet big indeed.

This is one of those games when I like to picture a dial divided into thirds. The voter sees the three players either on the J! site's This Week's Contestants or today's introduction. The voter then spins the dial to the person with the preferred rooting interest. If you know the TPIR game, Safe Crackers, then you can picture what I'm trying to describe.

Today I would think Kristin is 60%+ as a 3xer trying to get a fourth win. Maddie is 30%+ as a young smiley. That leaves Carlos ~10% as the lone male for viewers that root for the guys and his friends/family. Who wins? Carolos in a runaway.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Is $-3,600 a new "in the hole" record for a returning champion? Just curious.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Opening piece = Overture

Swiss = Pavlov for William Tell

My guess = The Nutcracker Suite

lolwut?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6848

12 TS clues for enough to get 10200 from the 4th podium. $7800 for me left me shy although I would have done enough on the buzzer (if not the DDs) to be in the necessary five figures to beat Carlos.

I'm glad this was not the FJ! clue:

#6121, aired 2011-04-04 IN THE DICTIONARY $2000: From the Italian for "little property", it can be a trifle or a short, light piece of music or verse

Correct response:
Spoiler
bagatelle
To attach a composer's name to the term it looks like Beethoven is the way to go.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yeah, I am nowhere close to a classical music expert, but even in all my concert-going experiences I do not think I have seen that term used or explained in a concert program, and certainly I haven't seen an etymology given.

Has me wondering if Tolkien's Bag-End has a similar etymology, though. ETA: "Bag-End" is Tolkien's version of the literal meaning of cul-de-sac, so the "bag" part is not likely related to Italian. Thanks to Michael Rooney for pointing this out.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:59 pm Opening piece = Overture

lolwut?
Uh, someone's aim was too low? :lol:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Doing Archive playthroughs for the time being because I am out of town and can't watch episodes.

Coryat $43,200 (51R, 0W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT $11,600 if I did my math right plus FJ = 4th podium win

Possibly the best I've ever done relative to the combined Coryat. This episode just played really well for me. Only a brainfart on Pete Davidson's name and having no clue on the Neil Simon DD stood between me and a perfect DJ round. Bummer that 5 clues were left on the board... my season best is $45200 and I would have had a strong chance to beat it.

Disappointing to see Kristin's run end this way. From the stats, Carlos looks like he has potential....
Last edited by mas3cf on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Jeers to the champion for running to Pop Culture. More jeers to the contestants for avoiding Military Matters.
:( :D :D on Daily Doubles, matching the incorrect guess of Jane Eyre.
Finally, an instaget FJ! :mrgreen:
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm Is $-3,600 a new "in the hole" record for a returning champion? Just curious.
no: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1911
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had 1812 Overture.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:59 pm Opening piece = Overture

lolwut?
Right there wut-ing with you.

Also:

Missile launchers are not artillery.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Used Swiss to get to the solve, with fingers crossed.

Rare to see a $10,000 word this side of WOF...
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Not a clue on FJ! - my knowledge of William Tell begins with "apple" and ends with "overture", and doesn't include any Swiss Pavlov, so I was stuck. For some reason, my mind went to the Swiss Guard at the Vatican, so I went with the Wedding March.

Ouch on missing the word "overture" - I'd have more sympathy if he had to rush his response at the last minute and only got in "William Tel...". Rewinding the video, he had his answer done before the second verse of Think!, so he had plenty of time.

To this Bostonian who has a fairly generic US accent (with probably some Californian influence thanks to my mom), I only have 3 out of the 5 clues in THREE SYLLABLE WORDS as being appropriate. Conference and average are definitely two syllables when I say them, but if you asked me how many syllables each word had, I'd say "It depends."

Arterial was a terrible trap. It's almost as if they put the word "adjective" in the clue just so the writers could go "haw haw". A better clue would have been "Word that describes blood leaving the heart" - arterial doesn't only have to refer to the vessels themselves, so you could make it more palatable (at least IMO) that way.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Don't think I've had to match Era of Good Feelings to Monroe before. That seemed steep for the top box IMO.

Anyone else clam on "conference" because they thought it was only two syllables?

I also clammed on hedgehog since I didn't think they were omnivores.

Did anyone hear Alex lisping on Science for $400?

Ran "Art".

Swiss? Opening piece? Sounds like the "William Tell Overture" to me.

Lach Trash: barrel, "Ring of Fire", Tom Joad. Also got the "atomic weight" DD.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:12 pm

To this Bostonian who has a fairly generic US accent (with probably some Californian influence thanks to my mom), I only have 3 out of the 5 clues in THREE SYLLABLE WORDS as being appropriate. Conference and average are definitely two syllables when I say them, but if you asked me how many syllables each word had, I'd say "It depends."
Dictionaries give the pronunciation of these words as
ˈav(ə)rij/ and känf(ə)rəns/
The parentheses indicate that the syllable may be left out. I don't think it's a regionalism, it's just the informality of normal speech. But if we were imitating Yogi Bear we'd have to acknowledge 3 syllables... :ugeek:
Of all the low points of the game, the tragic playwright guess of Aristotle followed by A-Skillus (sounds like a rapper!) is my favorite...
But who am I to talk? I blew the first DD with Esther... :oops: I might just have gotten away with that on the show, but I struck myself down...And talk about emphasizing the wrong words...I ignored Swiss and focused on March and Soldiers. Victor Herbert is maybe not quite classical, so I ended up with Nutcracker Suite... :oops:
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone pronounce 'conference' with three syllables except when emphasizing it for effect, like veg-e-ta-ble. Or Jenna saying cam-er-a on 30 Rock. :mrgreen:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: When the players did not solve clue 1 for "roll out the..." that kind of indicated how the game would go.
Precisely what I was thinking, real time. Shortly afterwards, Carlos guesses 'Hey Jude' for Drive My Car, and the girls draw a blank.
The writing was on the wall for Kristin to flame out after Alex gave her props for being a 3-time champion, despite having a low payout total. She didn't disappoint.

LTaM warning was given with several $2000 clues left and Maddie, waaay behind, still selects the lowest value clues available. :roll:
Carlos blowing $10,000 for omitting a word was the icing on the cake for this disfunctional game.