Wednesday, October 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rackme32 »

I had zero chance on FJ!...

If there had been no category, and a question asking who Dalton Trumbo was, I would have had no clue, even though I have heard the name before... Somewhere.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Our broadcast was interrupted by the national security press conference, but I did get to see about half - we cut out at about the first commercial break and came back about 2/3 of the way through DJ.

The only words you needed to see for FJ were "blacklist" and "screenwriter". There's basically only one member of the Hollywood Ten the show will ask about.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:42 pm Much like the first game of this season, this is another instance where low DD wagering proves costly. Cole definitely could've had this game locked up and not even had to have worried about FJ if he had bet more on the second DJ DD. And yeah, I get the reason why contestants sometimes may not feel comfortable risking a whole bunch of money on trivia questions, but nonetheless it is still a shame when such a choice ultimately makes a difference between who wins and who loses.
But if he was the sort who wagers big on DDs, he would've been burned by the one he missed right before. You don't get to ask "Why didn't he bet big on the second DJ DD?" without also going, "Why didn't he bet big on the -first- DJ DD?"
Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:33 pm It sure helps to have just watched the 2015 biopic on Netflix a week or two ago.
Apparently I saw it back in June.

I also would've said The Brave One instantly for the 1953 film for which I'm glad they didn't.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Golf wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:45 pm
Regarding the golf category, the grip shown on the $600 clue is referred to in golf parlance as a ten finger grip. Since that info was basically given in the clue, it was obvious that the desired answer was the term used by non-golfers, the baseball grip. The $1000 clue was pretty much screwed up. As written, the correct answer would be a "layup shot", as that is the term used when you're not trying to hit the green. An approach shot is supposed to hit the green, not get close to the green. It was pretty obvious this clue was written by a non-golfer simply transcribing words from some random source.
The clue:
Often traveling 100 yards plus, it's a shot hit to get up close to the green on a longer hole.

This is a train wreck. They just should have said to get on the green. I suppose 100 yards sounds like a big distance to a non-golfer. I use "escape shots" and "punch-outs", etc.. to get OUT of trouble. I use "layups" to stay out of trouble (splashy mostly). I use "approach" shots to get on the green. I have no name for open second shots on par 5's. Some four letter words sometimes, but only after the shot...
From the A,B,C category, it has to be approach. (And cannot be "chip", sorry). My guess is they would have to take morbeedo's "batter's" grip.
Golf wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:45 pm
Regarding the golf category, the grip shown on the $600 clue is referred to in golf parlance as a ten finger grip. Since that info was basically given in the clue, it was obvious that the desired answer was the term used by non-golfers, the baseball grip.

I use a ten finger grip, but that isn't what Jimmy was showing. My thumbs are parallel (mostly) to the shaft. He had his thumb perpendicular to the shaft and I thought it was because he didn't know how to hold a club. It actually stuck away from the club, but maybe that was to exaggerate the grip.

I don't know where the official glossary is located, but I think there actually is a baseball grip similar to Jimmy's but with the thumbs wrapped around. I know I've hit it that way a time or two, especially when the callouses are bleeding :lol:. It isn't the same as a ten finger but I know the show didn't drill that deep into the nuance. They just took the part about the "other sport".

My biggest surprise was the TS on "break". I thought that transcended golf.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:17 pm I said chip instead of approach. Would that work?
Unfortunately no. The clue specified a shot of at least 100 yards, a chip is a short lower shot from just off the green.
morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:38 pm I don't know golf - is batter's grip acceptable?
Very doubtful, at best it's a BMS.
Volante wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:35 pm But if he was the sort who wagers big on DDs, he would've been burned by the one he missed right before. You don't get to ask "Why didn't he bet big on the second DJ DD?" without also going, "Why didn't he bet big on the -first- DJ DD?"
Sure you can. Proper DD wagering isn't always going big unless you know everything. If you know the category, you go big. If you don't, you go $5. It was obvious he didn't care for the category on DD2, he just wagered $495 too much.

Regardless of answer, it was obvious he wagered too little, too much, too little.
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:00 am I use a ten finger grip, but that isn't what Jimmy was showing. My thumbs are parallel (mostly) to the shaft. He had his thumb perpendicular to the shaft and I thought it was because he didn't know how to hold a club. It actually stuck away from the club, but maybe that was to exaggerate the grip.

I don't know where the official glossary is located, but I think there actually is a baseball grip similar to Jimmy's but with the thumbs wrapped around. I know I've hit it that way a time or two, especially when the callouses are bleeding :lol:. It isn't the same as a ten finger but I know the show didn't drill that deep into the nuance. They just took the part about the "other sport".
It was a 10-finger grip, it just looked goofy because he was holding the club in a baseball stance with the club pointed up instead of down. When you place the club head on the ground your thumb somewhat naturally will rest downwards on the grip.

By the way, I grew up in SW MO. Have played Twin HIlls in your area as well as most courses in Springfield.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Put me in the "the only Trumbo I know of is Mark" camp.

Definitely seems like a fact to remember, though.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Interesting that Cole's sirname is also a small town in Vermont.
Maybe someday we'll have Dave Grayling from White Cloud Michigan.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $42,200
52 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: sterile, break, option year, Waitress (DD)

I wanted Dalton Trumbo, but my brain popped out Truman Capote. Not the first time, nor probably the last, I have made that mistake.
morbeedo wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:38 pm I don't know golf - is batter's grip acceptable?
The clue says that the grip is "named for another sport," so technically no, but it's possible the judges might let it slide.
Volante wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:35 pm
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:42 pm Much like the first game of this season, this is another instance where low DD wagering proves costly. Cole definitely could've had this game locked up and not even had to have worried about FJ if he had bet more on the second DJ DD. And yeah, I get the reason why contestants sometimes may not feel comfortable risking a whole bunch of money on trivia questions, but nonetheless it is still a shame when such a choice ultimately makes a difference between who wins and who loses.
But if he was the sort who wagers big on DDs, he would've been burned by the one he missed right before. You don't get to ask "Why didn't he bet big on the second DJ DD?" without also going, "Why didn't he bet big on the -first- DJ DD?"
Cole's extra-timid wager and body language made it pretty clear he wasn't comfortable in a Broadway category.
Sprinkles are for winners.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Carlos was playing a completely different game from the others. His slow, deliberative talking made me wonder if he was trying to run out the clock. Except that would make no sense.

At the time they hit the Japanese category, Cole had a runaway, and both of the others were trying to catch him. Aimee caught a lucky break when Carlos picked the wrong emperor and then Aimee got it on the rebound and then furiously rang in on the last three Clues to both overcome the runaway and to keep Carlos out, thus preventing the innominate situation.

I was happy that Amy Got it right and Cole didn't, because otherwise it would have made her final burst of activity in DJ for nothing.

InstGet Trumbo.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:33 am Aimee caught a lucky break when Carlos picked the wrong emperor and then Aimee got it on the rebound then furiously rang in on the last three Clues to both overcome the runaway and to keep Carlos out
The fact that Carlos picked an emperor at all was the problem; the clue was asking for the PM.
Also, that was the antepenultimate clue, so she only had two more clues to ring in on after that.
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

FJ was a good example of a clue I missed that I absolutely would have gotten in LL. It's just unusual enough that it wasn't coming to me in 30 seconds, but given time to ponder it, his name eventually would have popped up.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Trumbo stumped a lot of boardies the last time he was an FJ clue, too (asking for the book):

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=471&start=20

8 hits for "Trumbo + blacklist" in the archive.
Last edited by nserven on Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

nserven wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:32 am Trumbo stumped a lot of boardies the last time he was an FJ clue, too (asking for the book):

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=471&p=16623&hilit=trumbo#p16623

I find it interesting that they used to always put him in the clue, whereas they've now asked for his name 4 times in the last 5 years. (3 times a 4th/5th row clue and this latet FJ, gotten every time) It was much more recent history in the 80s-90s so I'd have expected those players to be more likely to come up with his name than today's players. Then again there are obviously tons of unarhchived games from the 80s and 90s so this data point could be lacking.
Volante

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:48 am
nserven wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:32 am Trumbo stumped a lot of boardies the last time he was an FJ clue, too (asking for the book):

I find it interesting that they used to always put him in the clue, whereas they've now asked for his name 4 times in the last 5 years. (3 times a 4th/5th row clue and this latet FJ, gotten every time) It was much more recent history in the 80s-90s so I'd have expected those players to be more likely to come up with his name than today's players. Then again there are obviously tons of unarhchived games from the 80s and 90s so this data point could be lacking.
The Cranston helmed Trumbo biopic came out Nov 2015.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:03 am

True, I wonder what are some other examples of this, a person who was maybe borderline being commonly asked in trivia but then after a biopic or film is made about them they explode to relevance.

One I found is Solomon Northup, 0 hits in the Archive before 12 Years a Slave, roughly one every year since. http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

Another, Harvey Milk. 2 mentions in the Archive pre-2008, and 14 since. http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
Volante

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:13 am True, I wonder what are some other examples of this, a person who was maybe borderline being commonly asked in trivia but then after a biopic or film is made about them they explode to relevance.

One I found is Solomon Northup, 0 hits in the Archive before 12 Years a Slave, roughly one every year since. http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

Another, Harvey Milk. 2 mentions in the Archive pre-2008, and 14 since. http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
FJ http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5713 , 22 Jun, 2017
Spoiler
Bridge of Spies came out, 16 Oct, 2015
davey

Post by davey »

Yrs, no question that's it. It can't hurt that it starred the guy from J! favorite Breaking Bad, especially since the movie didn't quite tear up the box office...
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:13 am

True, I wonder what are some other examples of this, a person who was maybe borderline being commonly asked in trivia but then after a biopic or film is made about them they explode to relevance.

Louis Zamperini had no archive hits until Unforgiven (book and movie) came out, though only once as a correct response.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Mozart has no archive hits prior to the release of Amadeus. :D
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:06 pm Mozart has no archive hits prior to the release of Amadeus. :D
Also Salieri. and Gandhi. Dang there are a lot of these it turns out.