Wednesday, October 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCREENWRITERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This once-blacklisted screenwriter of "Spartacus" got a posthumous credit & an Oscar for a 1953 film

Carlos Chaidez: 7000-1000=6000
Aimee Lim: 12600+12600=25200 (New Champ)
Cole Bolton: 21000-4300=16700

Correct response:
Spoiler
Dalton Trumbo (Carlos – not KUBRICK!) (Cole – Gold)

Daily Doubles
Cole: 7000+2500
Cole: 18500-500
Cole: 18000+1000

Coryats
Carlos: 7000
Aimee: 12600
Cole: 19400

Combined: 39,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Carlos: 3800
Aimee: 200
Cole: 10900
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The fun clue of the day was 5-LETTER WORDS $600: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YwQbrJ ... sp=sharing

Cole found all the DDs:

DD1 he led 7000 to 1400 to minus 200 and added 2500.
DD2 he led 18500 to 8200 to 7400 and lost 500 (He seemed to know he did not like BROADWAY DEBUTS.)
DD3 he led 18000 to 8200 to 7400 and gained 1000 in a second box clue.

Cole needed 4201 more for the runaway. It was right there for him at DD1. He still could have bwak-bwaked DD2 and low or high on DD3 would have sewn up the match before the FJ! clue.

Aimee lost the J! round and won the DJ! round and the FJ! round to show how meaningless a poor J! round can be.

The FJ! category had me precall Woody Allen, Sorkin, Tarantino and Emma Thompson.

The FJ! clue gave me a moment’s panic as I knew the name I wanted and blanked on it. With a detour to Bryan Cranston I was able to recall the man’s last name and I wrote it down.

For another blank I had a few seconds when the first name would not come to me. Fully relaxed with the solve in place I was able to also recall the first name I did not need and did not bother to write.

Between the Cranston film (did not see it, though read about it) and stories around the time of Kirk Douglas’s death, I could solve the clue. What I had no clue on was the 1953 film, so Roman Holiday whether included in the wording or only hinted at, made no difference to me.

Carlos even with a solve was coming in third. I wonder if he saw the Cranston film? It was nice timing that Carlos’s chat with Alex about loving movies was yesterday and not today as some people won’t recall that tidbit about Carlos that adds an extra sting of embarrassment for his missing today’s FJ! clue.

Aimee’s sole solve and wager gave her the title as it would have been awful if Aimee had only bet 1401 in trying to insure 2nd place.

Cole was likely going to drop to 16799 to 16700 on a miss, so Aimee had to get it right to win. It was a legitimate play to bet the farm and Aimee fully collected to tie Dana Hill for fourth highest winning total of the season.

Cole lost though did get to mention he wrote for The Onion. He can work up some clever headline for where his game went wrong. He already set himself up for partially using “went for the Gold”.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It sure helps to have just watched the 2015 biopic on Netflix a week or two ago.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Much like the first game of this season, this is another instance where low DD wagering proves costly. Cole definitely could've had this game locked up and not even had to have worried about FJ if he had bet more on the second DJ DD. And yeah, I get the reason why contestants sometimes may not feel comfortable risking a whole bunch of money on trivia questions, but nonetheless it is still a shame when such a choice ultimately makes a difference between who wins and who loses.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:42 pm Much like the first game of this season, this is another instance where low DD wagering proves costly. Cole definitely could've had this game locked up and not even had to have worried about FJ if he had bet more on the second DJ DD.
Like most contestants, he didn't wager enough when he was confident, and he wagered too much when he wasn't.
And yeah, I get the reason why contestants sometimes may not feel comfortable risking a whole bunch of money on trivia questions,
Like the contestants, you are fooled by Jeopardy using dollar amounts. The contestants aren't risking a bunch of money on trivia questions, they are risking a bunch of points that are used to keep score on trivia questions. It's not until a lock situation in FJ that a contestant is actually wagering money. This mindset causes contestants to make poor strategic decisions.
but nonetheless it is still a shame when such a choice ultimately makes a difference between who wins and who loses.
It's a matter of opinion of course, but I don't think it's a shame. It's a part of the game that the contestant didn't properly prepare for. I think it's a shame he wasn't better prepared when he had to make that choice.

But of course we'll have this discussion again in the near future.

Regarding the golf category, the grip shown on the $600 clue is referred to in golf parlance as a ten finger grip. Since that info was basically given in the clue, it was obvious that the desired answer was the term used by non-golfers, the baseball grip. The $1000 clue was pretty much screwed up. As written, the correct answer would be a "layup shot", as that is the term used when you're not trying to hit the green. An approach shot is supposed to hit the green, not get close to the green. It was pretty obvious this clue was written by a non-golfer simply transcribing words from some random source.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :( :D on DDs, guessed Sweeney Todd :lol:
Cringed at the FJ category, but even I got this one. :mrgreen: Are there any other famous blacklisted directors? :?:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $47,000 (53R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

My best game since I've been keeping score. I didn't give myself credit for Hugh Jackman because I wasn't sure I would have recognized him. Felt a little off-kilter for some of the clues in the first round, but 28/30 in DJ forgives a lot of sins.

When I saw the FJ category, I thought I had no chance, but "blacklisted screenwriter" is a Pavlov....
Last edited by mas3cf on Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

DBear wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:54 pm
Cringed at the FJ category, but even I got this one. :mrgreen: Are there any other famous blacklisted directors? :?:
Screenwriters.... There's Ring Lardner Jr., but I see only one archived clue where you needed to give his name, and even there there was a hint about his father. I missed this FJ years ago and even just now I wasn't sure it wasn't "How Johnny Got His Gun Back" or "Why Can't Johnny Get His Gun?" Had they asked instead for the "blacklisted author", though, I'd have had it. Anyway, I'm glad the likely possibilities were few because "1953 movie" wasn't going to take me anywhere worthwhile.

It doesn't bother me when the leader underbets a Daily Double. It helps keep the game competitive. I am often annoyed when trailers fail to bet enough. I don't know what the relative scores were at the time, but "Japanese Emperors" can't be a dream category for very many, so maybe the board placement of the clue should have weighed heavier.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I knew as soon as I saw the category, I was in trouble. Can't say I ever recall hearing of this person.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:29 pm I knew as soon as I saw the category, I was in trouble. Can't say I ever recall hearing of this person.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=704&p=30972&hilit=trumbo#p30972

No better way to set myself up for a miss tomorrow?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

econgator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:29 pm I knew as soon as I saw the category, I was in trouble. Can't say I ever recall hearing of this person.
I knew it only because footage from his "Johnny Got His Gun" was used in the Metallica video "One"
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:45 pm The $1000 clue was pretty much screwed up. As written, the correct answer would be a "layup shot", as that is the term used when you're not trying to hit the green. An approach shot is supposed to hit the green, not get close to the green. It was pretty obvious this clue was written by a non-golfer simply transcribing words from some random source.
Not the way most of us play!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:45 pm
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:42 pm Much like the first game of this season, this is another instance where low DD wagering proves costly. Cole definitely could've had this game locked up and not even had to have worried about FJ if he had bet more on the second DJ DD.
Like most contestants, he didn't wager enough when he was confident, and he wagered too much when he wasn't.
And yeah, I get the reason why contestants sometimes may not feel comfortable risking a whole bunch of money on trivia questions,
Like the contestants, you are fooled by Jeopardy using dollar amounts. The contestants aren't risking a bunch of money on trivia questions, they are risking a bunch of points that are used to keep score on trivia questions. It's not until a lock situation in FJ that a contestant is actually wagering money. This mindset causes contestants to make poor strategic decisions.
but nonetheless it is still a shame when such a choice ultimately makes a difference between who wins and who loses.
It's a matter of opinion of course, but I don't think it's a shame. It's a part of the game that the contestant didn't properly prepare for. I think it's a shame he wasn't better prepared when he had to make that choice.

But of course we'll have this discussion again in the near future.

Regarding the golf category, the grip shown on the $600 clue is referred to in golf parlance as a ten finger grip. Since that info was basically given in the clue, it was obvious that the desired answer was the term used by non-golfers, the baseball grip. The $1000 clue was pretty much screwed up. As written, the correct answer would be a "layup shot", as that is the term used when you're not trying to hit the green. An approach shot is supposed to hit the green, not get close to the green. It was pretty obvious this clue was written by a non-golfer simply transcribing words from some random source.
I said chip instead of approach. Would that work?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:42 pm
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=704&p=30972&hilit=trumbo#p30972

No better way to set myself up for a miss tomorrow?
Well, I'm not wrong in that I didn't recall it from 8 years ago. :)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Like others I struggled to get a footing in Single. I knew all the golf clues but was just too slow to ring in. IN THE STATE was a funny category though, in that I absolutely NHO $200, but got the rest, and proud that my flashcard on Couer D'Alene paid off.

DJ on the other hand was cruise control from the start, running IN THE ROUGH DRAFT and never looking back. My only clams were charlatan and MIT.

The FJ category had me scared bleepless. Aaron Sorkin and a possible Larry McMurtry were my only pre-calls. The clue reveal left me equally stumped, so I just WAG'ed with the only blacklisted screenwriter I could think of: Dalton freakin' Trumbo. I'll take this one after completely screwing the pooch yesterday.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was 13/15 by the first break but lost my momentum after that.

Two brain cramps on Rough Draft, blanking on both John Updike and Finnegans Wake.

I missed only "charlatan" in its category, because I thought that it came from the French. No idea where they got the Italian thing from.

No guess on FJ! Correct response rings no bells for me, nor do I see why it should.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I don't know golf - is batter's grip acceptable?

Nailed all 3 DDs and FJ tonight - let me on the show, people!

I'm glad they didn't make me come up with Naruhito, bc I couldn't have

Kudos to Aimee for coming on like gangbusters at the end and preventing the lock

Cole had the smarts but not enough game