Thursday, October 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY ART

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In occupied Paris, a German officer asked Picasso if he had done this masterpiece; he replied, "No, you did"

Aimee Lim: 4400+4000=8400
Lindsey Packer: 13000+7000=20000
Colin Davy: 18400+7700=26100 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Guernica

Daily Doubles
Lindsey: 2200+1000
Colin: 5400+5400
Colin: 12000+4000

Coryats
Aimee: 4400
Lindsey: 12800
Colin: 11800

Combined: 29,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Aimee: 2800
Lindsey: 7000
Colin: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For viewers that do not like rapid fire clue selection this game may raise some blood pressures. For viewers that love fast play and all 61 clues this was a good one. Aimee should go to auctioneer school.

"Moonlight Sonata" reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AI-E8R3qTs

The FJ! category had me precall: Warhol-Campbell, Dali - The Persistence of Memory & Wyeth for either Helga or Christina's World. The earlier clues let me know Klimt and Saturday Evening Post were out.

The FJ! clue had me match the players for a quick solve. If you step on the stage you want to be able to match that artist and work as the J! writers go there a lot.

Colin was +9400 on DDs yet Lindsey still overtook him for the lead during part of the DJ! round. Double digit TS clues and a 11800 Coryat indicate to me it's too early to start any hype or ridiculous predictions for Colin just because he selected high value clues and bet big on DDs.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6850

$15,200 in trash with lots of bottom level clues for the 4th podium. It's possible Lindsey wins the game with one different clue selection to play DD2 or DD3 as the Daily Doubles were not overly difficult.

I heard Aksum for Aimee's incorrect African city. Should I expect a correction suggestion to Axum since sacred Wikipedia lists it first? The closed-captioning this week has not been displaying everything the players say. Very annoying.

Lindsey is originally from Los Angeles. What, is she now living in [keeping myself out of trouble by not naming a specific city]? Does omitting her current city maintain her privacy from creeps & trolls?

TheFJguy forgot to post Colin's full FJ! response that include Happy Birthday Caitlin to his sister. I'm surprised Colin's DD wagers included zeroes at the end.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $43,800 (52R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Costly neg with Marlin Perkins for Jack Hanna. Wasn't watching the episode, but counted it as a minus because I don't think the picture would have helped me.

Clammed on Timbuktu because I didn't know how to rule out Carthage. In hindsight, PLENTY of Europeans had been to Carthage long before that guy.

Clammed on LensCrafters because it was a coinflip with PearleVision.

Clammed on dam because "Tenmile Wash" made it sound like it could be a seawall. Then felt dumb because there are no seawalls in Arizona!!

I'm away from the TV for the foreseeable future and a contestant comes along whose rapid-fire style I'm sure I would appreciate. Go figure....
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I was ready to argue Arlington, VA with Broomfield, CO, but it has 33 square miles. :geek:
:D :D :D in Daily Doubles. Rather straightforward.
I've seen both Aksum & Axum spellings. :|
Got FJ, but for some reason I always thought it was La Guernica :mrgreen:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:17 pm
Lindsey is originally from Los Angeles. What, is she now living in [keeping myself out of trouble by not naming a specific city]? Does omitting her current city maintain her privacy from creeps & trolls?
there are a lot of "originally from" right now to hide from casual viewers all the contestants are from close to the studios.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Interesting that J! would reference Bob Barker on a day when his 2015 April Fools Day walk-on cameo was rerun by CBS.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I did run two categories in J!, but surprisingly not the Retail one. Here's where I went awry:

First, "named after a bar in Paris" threw me off the trail and left me unable to process salute -> sailor -> Old Navy in time. I was too distracted trying to fit "Banana Republic" into the clue; to be fair, Gap owns them too.

Kirkland = Costco was also unfamiliar to me.

Is there any reason I should know that "spark joy" catchphrase? That seemed extremely esoteric.

The Animal Quotes seemed very YEKIOYD. I negged with sheep at $800, and had no idea whatsoever on the next two.

I knew Jack Hanna from his appearances on Letterman, but completely blanked on his last name.

I couldn't make heads or tails of this clue. I literally couldn't even decipher what it was asking for. A painting that was done by a German officer whose style was imitative of Picasso? That was literally the only way I could parse the clue.

Guernica is not ringing any bells for me at all. HOW was this a triple get?!

Lach Trash: abut, bridge, Nile River, crow, germanium
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

You know, as famous as Picasso is, I think that there's only 2 of his paintings that I can name: Guernica, of course, and Les Desmoiselles d'Avignon.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:30 pm I couldn't make heads or tails of this clue. I literally couldn't even decipher what it was asking for. A painting that was done by a German officer whose style was imitative of Picasso? That was literally the only way I could parse the clue.
Guernica was based on the bombing of the eponymous town, done by ... guess who?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:32 pm Guernica was based on the bombing of the eponymous town, done by ... guess who?
It makes sense now, but that was literally the only way I could interpret the clue. To me, it sounded like they were asking for "painting that was done by a famous German officer, whose style was often mistaken for that of Picasso." Guernica = Picasso is a match I don't think I've ever had to make before.

Sometimes I parse a clue really, really, REALLY wrong. What is it? Overthinking? Brain fart?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Quite a 𝑏𝑜𝑛 𝑚𝑜𝑡 from Picasso. I'll bet it drew an admiring "𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘤𝘩é" from the German officer.

"Wilbur Wright" doesn't alliterate.

Hmm, what was going on in July 1863? I suppose transcendentalism was losing ground to realism. Anything else?

I'm not sure what makes New York County (Manhattan, basically) not a "self-governing" county. They have things like sheriffs, jails, and courthouses.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Lefty wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:49 pm Quite a 𝑏𝑜𝑛 𝑚𝑜𝑡 from Picasso. I'll bet it drew an admiring "𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘤𝘩é" from the German officer.

"Wilbur Wright" doesn't alliterate.

Hmm, what was going on in July 1863? I suppose transcendentalism was losing ground to realism. Anything else?

I'm not sure what makes New York County (Manhattan, basically) not a "self-governing" county. They have things like sheriffs, jails, and courthouses.
You could have given me a multiple choice:

A. Arlington
B. Essentially anything else

and I would have picked B, because I thought Arlington was an independent city like, oh, pretty much every sizable city in Virginia. You learn something every day ...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I loved the fast pace of the game. Any time all 61 clues are shown, I chalk it up as a well-paced game. They seem to be allowing shout-outs creep back into the FJ! responses. Honestly, expand the screen vertically and split it into thirds: Response, shoutout, and wager.

Picasso's a blind spot for me, and Guernica's the only painting I knew that was by him. Fortunately, the phrase "bombing of Guernica" also was rattling in my brain. I also thought perhaps "Guer" was somehow related to "guerra" (war) in Spanish, but it's probably not relevant to the clue.

New Kids on the Block actually officially shortened their name to NKOTB in 1993. I wonder if reciting the initials back would have worked? Probably, if the category had been STUPID QUESTIONS.

Put me down for knowing Jack Hanna based mainly on Letterman - he was the guest when I went to a taping back in April or May of 1998. I'd actually never heard of him when I went to the show, but he's one of the top three recurring guests next to Regis Philbin and Marv Albert.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I'm going to enjoy watching Colin play again, even though he wimped out on his DD3 bet.

I got Jack Hanna because he's on The Late Late Show with James Corden too, still going strong.

Pretty straightforward FJ
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:06 pm
You could have given me a multiple choice:

A. Arlington
B. Essentially anything else

and I would have picked B, because I thought Arlington was an independent city like, oh, pretty much every sizable city in Virginia. You learn something every day ...
Yep, although it’s commonly called “Arlington” as if it were a city, it’s actually Arlington County. There are three smaller but not self-governing counties: Kalawao, HI (run by the state health department, it’s what’s left of Father Damien’s leper colony); New York, NY (controlled by New York City,of which it is the borough of Manhattan); and Bristol, RI (counties have no government in Rhode Island).

(Edit for autocorrect: Kalamazoo County is much larger, and in Michigan...)
Last edited by silverpie on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

talkingaway wrote: They seem to be allowing shout-outs creep back into the FJ! responses. Honestly, expand the screen vertically and split it into thirds: Response, shoutout, and wager.
I'm hoping they will decide to allow tie games again in the near future.

If I were Lindsey, I'd be more than a little ticked off.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

silverpie wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:37 pm Yep, although it’s commonly called “Arlington” as if it were a city, it’s actually Arlington County.
If I remember rightly, in VA, there are no cities within a county. All cities in VA are independent.