Friday, October 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Friday, October 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Oh Colin, Colin, Colin. I hyped you up yesterday and you let me down. Its one thing to pick the board like a strong player (I refuse to pin that strategy on James as many have done it before, and will continue to do), but it's another to be prepared like one. You're still a champ though, and thats more than I can say from my couch. Well done.

The FJ category had me dreading having to differentiate between Marbury v. Madison and McCullough v. Maryland, which i often mix up. Given the year 1896, I knew I was in the clear.

I'm actually unsure how I fared on the 4th podium as I couldn't pull basilisk in time. I'll tally it up if there's a poll.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:58 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:54 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:46 pm Gave myself credit for limelight on Idioms $800 because I'm pretty confident it fits.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:12 pm Judges: limelight on Idioms for $800?
'Fraid not. Limelight lights up the whole stage. The clue specifies a "powerful beam on ONE actor".
https://www.britannica.com/art/limeligh ... e-lighting
My retraction was already in progress when this went to air.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I was surprised Olivia de Havilland was a triple stumper, since I saw her name a lot this summer when she turned 104 and was said (and shown) to still be riding her bike, and then again when she died later the same month...

davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:46 pm Gave myself credit for limelight on Idioms $800 because I'm pretty confident it fits.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:12 pm Judges: limelight on Idioms for $800?
'Fraid not. Limelight lights up the whole stage. The clue specifies a "powerful beam on ONE actor".

EDIT: Hang on. This just in. Wikipedia says, "Limelights were employed to highlight solo performers in the same manner as modern followspots (spotlights)." It offers a footnote from an actual book to back up the claim. So this judge is reversing his decision and accepting limelight. I do think spotlight better fits the "full glare of public attention" part of the clue. Being in the spotlight is generally viewed as an uncomfortable experience and "glare" seems to imply that. The limelight, on the other hand, is something one "basks" in. It's enjoyable. But I don't think the connotations of "glare" are enough to make limelight incorrect.
The problem with this is that there are several hundred thousand more google hits for "bask in the spotlight" than "bask in the limelight." Also, the clue uses "bask and "glare."
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:27 pm

EDIT: Hang on. This just in. Wikipedia says, "Limelights were employed to highlight solo performers in the same manner as modern followspots (spotlights)." It offers a footnote from an actual book to back up the claim. So this judge is reversing his decision and accepting limelight. I do think spotlight better fits the "full glare of public attention" part of the clue. Being in the spotlight is generally viewed as an uncomfortable experience and "glare" seems to imply that. The limelight, on the other hand, is something one "basks" in. It's enjoyable. But I don't think the connotations of "glare" are enough to make limelight incorrect.
The problem with this is that there are several hundred thousand more google hits for "bask in the spotlight" than "bask in the limelight." Also, the clue uses "bask and "glare."
The first point shows that spotlight can also be used in a positive sense, but that doesn't really affect my argument regarding the clue. (It is interesting though and, to me, unexpected.) The more important point vis-à-vis the clue was my claim that limelight, unlike spotlight, is generally positive and thus inconsistent with "glare". The more relevant Google evidence in this regard is that Google has more than twice as many hits for "glare of the limelight" as "glare of the spotlight." This surprises me and is inconsistent with my sense of the nuances of the words, but I accept the evidence. At least I didn't have to hear it from you. :D

The clue's combination of bask and glare is truly odd to me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:30 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:47 pm Did I watch a different game? A big round of applause at end and Alex seemed excited about it. The whole thing was rather sloppy to me.

I precalled the other two big cases (assuming M v. M was the other one) but I had it written down before the music started.
Alex seems to think a decent third place score (close to $10,000) is a sign of a well played game. Please Forgive Me, but it's just a sign of the three players being evenly matched. They collectively earned a whole $26000 of the $54000 on the board.
But Alex didn't say it was a well played game. He said it was close and that FJ would be a doozy; none of his superlatives were wrong. And it was an entertaining game. Moved fast, downs, ups, spills, thrills, and somehow managed to even clear the boards.

Super Bowl 51, for example, was not a well played game (27-3!). But it held you in until the absolute last second.
On the other hand, 53 (the one that ended 13-3) was a study in clinically precise play. And it's duller than week old dishwater.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IDIOMS $600: A part of the lawn is mentioned in this phrase that refers to the rank & file

I said "garden variety." Judges? Both the literal and figurative halves are stretches: a lawn may more be considered a part of a garden than vice versa, and "rank and file" doesn't quite mean the ordinary that "garden variety" refers to.

No biggie if the answer is no; without Elizabeth Taylor, The Wild Bunch, and basilisk, I don't have a fourth-podium win hanging in the balance.
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

Almost broke $40,000 coryat for the first time, but blew it on the SoCal category, forgot the category and said Nashville. Seems highly unlikely to be the $2000 answer even if it wasn't already narrowed down to CA. Really stings because I'm a fan of the Bakersfield sound, one of my musical regrets is never making the trip up there to see Buck Owens when he was alive (if memory serves, he performed a set at his honkey-tonk the night he died). Enjoyed (and swept) the movie sum-up category, got two good laughs out of it, one when she said Bill and Ted, and one when I figured out the Argo clue.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:30 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:47 pm Did I watch a different game? A big round of applause at end and Alex seemed excited about it. The whole thing was rather sloppy to me.

I precalled the other two big cases (assuming M v. M was the other one) but I had it written down before the music started.
Alex seems to think a decent third place score (close to $10,000) is a sign of a well played game. Please Forgive Me, but it's just a sign of the three players being evenly matched. They collectively earned a whole $26000 of the $54000 on the board.
But Alex didn't say it was a well played game. He said it was close and that FJ would be a doozy; none of his superlatives were wrong. And it was an entertaining game. Moved fast, downs, ups, spills, thrills, and somehow managed to even clear the boards.

Super Bowl 51, for example, was not a well played game (27-3!). But it held you in until the absolute last second.
On the other hand, 53 (the one that ended 13-3) was a study in clinically precise play. And it's duller than week old dishwater.
To me "look at those scores" very much implies that one is impressed with the scores, not merely that they are close. If it finished 4200-4000-3800 I don't think it would get the same reaction from Alex.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL, at a us president accepting a British noble title, even an honorary one.

I wouldn't have accepted wall for Berlin Wall. I would have accepted butt for part of an article of clothing.

I would have said a new nun is a novitiate, and I'm sure that would have been accepted.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:04 pm IDIOMS $600: A part of the lawn is mentioned in this phrase that refers to the rank & file

I said "garden variety." Judges? Both the literal and figurative halves are stretches: a lawn may more be considered a part of a garden than vice versa, and "rank and file" doesn't quite mean the ordinary that "garden variety" refers to.
I'm inclined to give it to you. But I'm having a bad streak. So to be safe, I want to wait and see what Davey says, then agree with him. :D
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $46,000
52 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Olivia de Havilland, Elizabeth Taylor, Parthenon (DD), Jesuits, The Seventh Seal, ubiquitous, Nixon in China (DD), Argo

Did anyone else notice that Colin is a voice clone of Ken Jennings? Go back and listen without watching the screen. It's uncanny.

They would have taken my law degree away had I missed that FJ! Come to think of it, I'm not really using it. If they were willing to also take the student loans, they'd probably have a deal.
Flealick wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:07 am Almost broke $40,000 coryat for the first time, but blew it on the SoCal category, forgot the category and said Nashville. Seems highly unlikely to be the $2000 answer even if it wasn't already narrowed down to CA. Really stings because I'm a fan of the Bakersfield sound, one of my musical regrets is never making the trip up there to see Buck Owens when he was alive (if memory serves, he performed a set at his honkey-tonk the night he died).
When I was a kid, my dad's truck yard was on Pierce Road, which was rechristened Buck Owens Boulevard shortly after Buck built the Crystal Palace there. I moved away a few months before the Palace was opened, so I've never seen a show there, but I see it from the 99 every time I go back to visit my aunt and uncle in Oildale.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:15 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:04 pm IDIOMS $600: A part of the lawn is mentioned in this phrase that refers to the rank & file

I'm inclined to give it to you. But I'm having a bad streak. So to be safe, I want to wait and see what Davey says, then agree with him. :D
If grass is "a part of the lawn," rather than the whole that comprises it, I'm willing to say a garden may be another part.
garden variety: ordinary
rank and file: the ordinary workers in a company

I'm not enthusiastic about the clue or the intended response - rank and file strikes me as a more neutral term than grass roots (connoting authenticity) - so I'll allow this slight reinterpretation... :D Also to keep feathers unruffled.... :lol:
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:57 am
I wouldn't have accepted wall for Berlin Wall. I would have accepted butt for part of an article of clothing.

I would have said a new nun is a novitiate, and I'm sure that would have been accepted.
Just "wall" bothered me too, but he was quoting Reagan...
You need to have a talk with your tailor...But does anybody say "pocket dial" rather than the response Brian gave?
I also said novitiate: a novice, especially in a religious order.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Oh mighty TPTB, hear my plea: If you're going to have an anagram category, and then show the word/phrase and its anagram on the screen AFTER the contestant responds, why, for the love of all that is good and holy, can't you put the word/phrase up on the screen without its anagram for us at home WHILE the contestant is thinking/responding? The contestants can see it, why can't we? Drives me crazy.

So what are people calling the Big 3? I've got Marbury, Dred Scott, Plessy, and Brown v. BOE (not to mention McCulloch, Gideon, and Roe). Which one are people leaving out?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:55 am So what are people calling the Big 3? I've got Marbury, Dred Scott, Plessy, and Brown v. BOE (not to mention McCulloch, Gideon, and Roe). Which one are people leaving out?
Well, the category specifically mentioned the 19th century, so I'd say McCulloch is the one actually being left out here.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

davey wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:42 am
floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:57 am

Just "wall" bothered me too, but he was quoting Reagan...
You need to have a talk with your tailor...But does anybody say "pocket dial" rather than the response Brian gave?
I also said novitiate: a novice, especially in a religious order.
I didn’t have a problem with just wall being accepted as that is the exact wording Reagan (who took an honorary knighthood) used in his speech. That being said, a BMS wouldn’t have upset me as I am sure the player knew which wall it was.

Never heard of pocket dial. I think Brian jumped the gun in ringing in. He seemed to know he was in trouble with butt dial.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Pre-called Dred Scott and then when the clue came up I didn't even bother to think about it. The date given in the clue (1896) rules out Dred Scott because it's post-Civil War, post-14th Amendment. And the mention of "citizens" in the quotation is another big hint that rules out Dred Scott, although to a lesser extent.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:34 am
alietr wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:55 am So what are people calling the Big 3? I've got Marbury, Dred Scott, Plessy, and Brown v. BOE (not to mention McCulloch, Gideon, and Roe). Which one are people leaving out?
Well, the category specifically mentioned the 19th century, so I'd say McCulloch is the one actually being left out here.
To me 19th CENTURY SUPREME COURT CASES leaves out anything in the 1900s. That gets Brown, Gideon and Roe crossed out. Is McCulloch (1819) really going to be asked for in a regular play FJ! clue? Gone. That leaves the "big 3" that fit the category. Bet the farm if that category appears again to end an episode.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:24 am Pre-called Dred Scott and then when the clue came up I didn't even bother to think about it. The date given in the clue (1896) rules out Dred Scott because it's post-Civil War, post-14th Amendment. And the mention of "citizens" in the quotation is another big hint that rules out Dred Scott, although to a lesser extent.
I thought Dred Scott was a particularly bad guess as it was clearly a pre-Civil War case. I think the reason Scott lost was because he had the legal status of a mule on the Sanford estate.

Edit...I did a quick scan of the Wikipedia article on the Scott case. The vote was 7-2. Taney wrote the opinion and there were six concurring opinions. The two dissenters argued that blacks could be considered citizens so the language in the dissenting opinion in Plessy could well have been written about Scott.