FJs for the 10/19/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/19/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 pm

This 2-word phrase in "The Arabian Nights" may have come from an herb bearing seed pods that burst when ripe
84%
Part of this famous 12-minute opening piece is called "March of the Swiss Soldiers"
66%
This once-blacklisted screenwriter of "Spartacus" got a posthumous credit & an Oscar for a 1953 film
57%
In occupied Paris, a German officer asked Picasso if he had done this masterpiece; he replied, "No, you did"
84%
Part of the dissent in this 1896 landmark case read, "In respect of civil rights, all citizens are equal before the law"  
69%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
26%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
FIRST LADIES $2000: When she became first lady, both her grandmothers, on the Folsom & Harmon sides, got to hear the happy news!
19%
JAPANESE EMPERORS $1600: In the 8th century Emperor Kammu set the capital in this city, where it stayed for more than a millennium
76%
THINGS TO DO ON A RAINY DAY $600: If you have a piano, play his 1801 "Moonlight Sonata"
80%
"Nutcracker Suite" was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
10%
"1812 Overture" was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
10%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue, but if the wording had included Roman Holiday as the 1953 film then I may have got it right.
1%
I have seen the painting Guernica in person.
10%
Oops, Dred Scott was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
13%
At least one of the correct responses for the FJ! clues was unfamiliar to me prior to the relevant day.
27%

Total votes: 90

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/19/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHRASES FROM LITERATURE

10/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 2-word phrase in "The Arabian Nights" may have come from an herb bearing seed pods that burst when ripe

10/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL MUSIC

10/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Part of this famous 12-minute opening piece is called "March of the Swiss Soldiers"

10/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCREENWRITERS

10/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This once-blacklisted screenwriter of "Spartacus" got a posthumous credit & an Oscar for a 1953 film

10/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY ART

10/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In occupied Paris, a German officer asked Picasso if he had done this masterpiece; he replied, "No, you did"

10/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY SUPREME COURT CASES

10/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Part of the dissent in this 1896 landmark case read, "In respect of civil rights, all citizens are equal before the law"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
"Open, Sesame!"
"William Tell Overture"
Dalton Trumbo
Guernica
Plessy v. Ferguson
The players were 9/14 (64.29%) with a 3-0-1-3-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested triple stumper followed by two the players had correct.

FIRST LADIES $2000: When she became first lady, both her grandmothers, on the Folsom & Harmon sides, got to hear the happy news!

JAPANESE EMPERORS $1600: In the 8th century Emperor Kammu set the capital in this city, where it stayed for more than a millennium

THINGS TO DO ON A RAINY DAY $600: If you have a piano, play his 1801 "Moonlight Sonata"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Frances Folsom Cleveland
Kyoto
Beethoven

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/19/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I don't know all the First Ladies' maiden names, but Folsom is one of them.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Supreme Court a weak spot for me.

Saw Guernica at MOMA before it returned to Spain
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I index off of years as much as possible, so as soon as I saw 1896 I had Plessy v. Ferguson.

First brag box of the season, but as I predicted, that box is getting a lot of checks.

Learned something this week about First Ladies.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Should been an easy brag box...
Didn't think clearly enough and settled for 1812 Overture.

Never seen Guernica
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No clue Wednesday. I'll probably remember Dalton Trumbo next time he comes up, but the name was unfamiliar this week.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Oh, I remember what made Trumbo a hesitant guess on my part: I knew Spartacus was an early '60s film, so how could he win a posthumous Oscar for a 1953 film? Plus the only posthumous Oscars for a '50s movie I knew of were the guys that won with Charlie Chaplin in the '70s for the Limelight score (due to the film not being screened upon initial release in Los Angeles or, indeed, most places in the country, in the light of Chaplin's alleged Communist sympathies). I didn't understand during the playing of the clue that the posthumous Oscar was retroactive, rather than won during a ceremony held after he had died. But Trumbo was the only blacklisted screenwriter I could name, so what else could I do?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:49 pm Oh, I remember what made Trumbo a hesitant guess on my part: I knew Spartacus was an early '60s film, so how could he win a posthumous Oscar for a 1953 film? Plus the only posthumous Oscars for a '50s movie I knew of were the guys that won with Charlie Chaplin in the '70s for the Limelight score (due to the film not being screened upon initial release in Los Angeles or, indeed, most places in the country, in the light of Chaplin's alleged Communist sympathies). I didn't understand during the playing of the clue that the posthumous Oscar was retroactive, rather than won during a ceremony held after he had died. But Trumbo was the only blacklisted screenwriter I could name, so what else could I do?
The only thing in that clue that registered with me is "blacklisted screenwriter = Dalton Trumbo." I don't know anywhere near enough about movies to have the mental struggle you described.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I knew Trumbo wrote Spartacus, did not know what the 1953 film was...
And no, I didn't remember anything about Ms. Folsom...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*This space intentionally left blank*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Roman Holiday might have helped, but hard to say, for some reason my mind went straight to Ring Lardner, Jr, and I couldn't dislodge it. Should have got Moonlight Sonata, also, but just wasn't coming to me at the time.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

NHO Folsom for FLOTUS. I knew the clue was about the blacklisted writers, etc., but don't recall ever seeing the name. I've heard of Guernica, but have I don't think I knew it was a painting.

Moonlight Sonata gave me chills to play for that brief time I could read sheet music at a very low level. Beethoven just keeps ratcheting up the tension in measure after measure and you think he isn't getting out of this trap! There's a double sharp in there someplace - good stuff for a novice level piece. Finally, you come to some weird chord (maybe the double-sharp?), and pow, resolution. It was almost worth all the work to learn to sight read sheet music, but, no... I'll stick to the honky-tonk piano playing and take the instant gratification :). I don't know how TPH does it, but playing by sight reading is like touch typing a foreign language manuscript.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

Dalton Trumbo and Guernica were both unfamiliar to me.

Not only am I familiar with "Moonlight Sonata", I played it in a college music class. Badly. Stupid triplet-against-eighth note combos...

I am aware that Plessy v. Ferguson is a thing, but as for what kind of thing, I was not sure.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Didn't know William Tell had an Overture (Guessed 1812), and I'm unfamiliar with the name Dalton Trumbo.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:11 pm Didn't know William Tell had an Overture (Guessed 1812)
I learned of it from a crossword puzzle whose solution contained the Dan Rather quote, "An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger." And I suspect I previously learned what The Lone Ranger's theme music was from the joke, "Where does the Lone Ranger take his trash? To the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:
Arabian phrase, WT Overture, Trumbo, Guernica together over the four days may have taken 12 seconds total. On Friday, precalled "MvM, Dred Scott, and ..... darn it, what was the case name, trains and separate but equal .... hope it's not that one." And then it was.

Not familiar with first lady Folsom, switched in Edo for Kyoto. Would have suspected Moonlight Sonata=Beethoven might poll at 95%.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.