FJs for the 10/19/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/19/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 pm

This 2-word phrase in "The Arabian Nights" may have come from an herb bearing seed pods that burst when ripe
84%
Part of this famous 12-minute opening piece is called "March of the Swiss Soldiers"
66%
This once-blacklisted screenwriter of "Spartacus" got a posthumous credit & an Oscar for a 1953 film
57%
In occupied Paris, a German officer asked Picasso if he had done this masterpiece; he replied, "No, you did"
84%
Part of the dissent in this 1896 landmark case read, "In respect of civil rights, all citizens are equal before the law"  
69%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
26%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
FIRST LADIES $2000: When she became first lady, both her grandmothers, on the Folsom & Harmon sides, got to hear the happy news!
19%
JAPANESE EMPERORS $1600: In the 8th century Emperor Kammu set the capital in this city, where it stayed for more than a millennium
76%
THINGS TO DO ON A RAINY DAY $600: If you have a piano, play his 1801 "Moonlight Sonata"
80%
"Nutcracker Suite" was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
10%
"1812 Overture" was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
10%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue, but if the wording had included Roman Holiday as the 1953 film then I may have got it right.
1%
I have seen the painting Guernica in person.
10%
Oops, Dred Scott was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
13%
At least one of the correct responses for the FJ! clues was unfamiliar to me prior to the relevant day.
27%

Total votes: 90

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 10/19/20 week

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:52 pm
Philliesfan02 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:11 pm Didn't know William Tell had an Overture (Guessed 1812)
I learned of it from a crossword puzzle whose solution contained the Dan Rather quote, "An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger." And I suspect I previously learned what The Lone Ranger's theme music was from the joke, "Where does the Lone Ranger take his trash? To the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump."
I'd say a snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and pretend not to think of The Lone Ranger... ;)
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've never experienced Guernica outside of reproductions, but have seen its companion piece Weeping Woman. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I saw it in person, but I've always found his The Dream and Lie of Franco far more affecting as both art and agitprop.
I would prefer not to.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

If you gave me 100 years and 1000 guesses I could never have come up with Dalton Trumbo.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hadn't heard of Trumbo.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:19 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:
Arabian phrase, WT Overture, Trumbo, Guernica together over the four days may have taken 12 seconds total. On Friday, precalled "MvM, Dred Scott, and ..... darn it, what was the case name, trains and separate but equal .... hope it's not that one." And then it was.

Not familiar with first lady Folsom, switched in Edo for Kyoto. Would have suspected Moonlight Sonata=Beethoven might poll at 95%.
Only three supreme court cases of the 19th century on my list of things every American ought to know: Marbury V. Madison, Dred Scott, and Plessy V. Ferguson. Anything else, you have to go to law school. Fortunately the writers didn't throw us a curve ball.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Easy 5/5 week. Toughest one for me was the William Tell one, but even then, I got it with plenty of time.

If the First Ladies clue was a FJ clue, I'd probably get it. But in the 10 seconds I had, I couldn't figure it out.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell