Wednesday, October 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium »

I kind of get the feeling that the plan with that was just to have something they could point to if it ever started getting out of hand or someone crosses a line, but it it's just every now and then it's not worth the trouble to clamp down on, with all the editing/retaping/(potentially)disqualification that would require. Since it doesn't actually affect gameplay, they can afford to treat it like something that's honored in the breach.
There are zero decent, moral people who support the death penalty.

Golf

Post by Golf »

Can we get a review of the Jeopardy rule set please?

I actually don't think Jeopardy ever publicly said anything about this. James tweet carries no official weight in this regard even though I have no doubt he was told this.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:15 am

I actually don't think Jeopardy ever publicly said anything about this. James tweet carries no official weight in this regard even though I have no doubt he was told this.
Most all of the minutiae we know about Jeopardy! rules are reported by contestants. I don't recall but I think there may have been additional reports, other contestants saying that they were told the same thing, that shoutouts were now a no-no. It may have been that they were serious about it when first declaring that players would be ruled incorrect, but whenever it happened for the first time they decided that they weren't actually willing to cost someone a game over it, so they decided to just quietly drop it. This is all just my speculation.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:13 am
Golf wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:15 am

Most all of the minutiae we know about Jeopardy! rules are reported by contestants. I don't recall but I think there may have been additional reports, other contestants saying that they were told the same thing, that shoutouts were now a no-no. It may have been that they were serious about it when first declaring that players would be ruled incorrect, but whenever it happened for the first time they decided that they weren't actually willing to cost someone a game over it, so they decided to just quietly drop it. This is all just my speculation.
No need to cost anyone the game over it. If they're serious, they can just quietly erase the shoutout before the response is revealed. If that's not convenient, tell Alex not to mention the shoutout since it will be erased before the game goes to air and viewers won't know what he's talking about. In the next chat with new contestants, explain to them that their shoutout will never be seen, and that at least one erasure has already taken place, so don't waste your time.

But it looks like they didn't really want to eliminate shoutouts. They were just worried that James's constant inclusion of same would imbalance the game and create audience expectations. So they tapped the brakes. I think that was the right call. I wish they'd shown similar restraint regarding tie games rather than changing the rules because of one long-gone contestant.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In one of the GOAT matches, James said something about “following the rules” when Alex commented about him not having a shoutout.

gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:38 am
In one of the GOAT matches, James said something about “following the rules” when Alex commented about him not having a shoutout.
That was actually James' ToC quarterfinal game.