Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by trainman »

Relegated to B after LL86, and finished first in B this season. I guess I'm what, in baseball, would be referred to as an AAAA player.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Congrats to morbeedo for winning the third edition of the JBoardLite rundle . :mrgreen:

morbeedo led the whole quintmester and finished with a 16-4-5 record for 34 points

ClassicRoadster closed the points gap on MD23 and MD24 but couldn't break through the MPD tiebreaker advantage and finished with 15-6-4 record.

Bamaman punched above his weight against the A/C rundlers for a close third place at 15-8-2.

Armandillo and Kerry rounded out the upper division. Sburrus and the twelvefootclan took the bottom five slots with yours truly finishing last. Again! :roll: . Is there an F rundle yet?

Notable notes:
Two JBL'ers are moving up from E to D - Bamaman got first in (redacted for dox reasons), and twelvefootbro got 5th in Taiga. twelvefootsis2 just missed promotion one notch behind in 6th.

Ecological balance is restored as two JBL'ers moved down a notch. I am trading places with twelvefootbro so we will be trading sister opponents. The other JBL'er being demoted shall remain nameless due to LPPA rules :lol: .

Defense - twelvefootbro .738, twelvefootsis .733, and morbeedo .722
anti-Defense - twelvefootboy .613, Bamaman at .648

MCW - Bamaman (22), SBurrus, twelvefootbro (21)

3pt - morbeedo (13), Armandillo (11), Bamaman and ClassicRoadster (9)

I'll get the internal gameday stats mined later and split these posts up for length. On a personal note, thanks to all for indulging and enhancing our mixed rundle with my 3 non-boardie sibs. None of us are experienced in trivia, we were just raised in a Tobacco Road environment with progressive (relatively) parents that instilled a love of learning. The first two went to a one room schoolhouse, then (me) a two room schoolhouse, and finally little sis was the first one in the family to go to kindergarten :).
It was a flat season for me, but 62 TCA is just a little below my average and I will have to deal with getting beat by my elder sister. My schedule was soft enough to survive in D, but I was 30th (last) in DE (again) with .548 DE.:roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:12 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:03 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:53 pm MY BWA votes went to New Serif in Town, 2017 Houston Astros, and Fast at Tiffany's.
Can you explain what's funny about "2017 Houston Astros?" Either it went right over my head or it's just funny because it's so absurd.
I don't find it funny, but the reference is a comparison between the backstage sounds and the garbage can beating (or whatever it was) that tipped off the Astros.
Okay, I figured it had to do with the sign stealing scandal but I had never heard they were banging trash cans as the tip off.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:03 am Notable notes:
Two JBL'ers are moving up from E to D - Bamaman got first in (redacted for dox reasons), and twelvefootbro got 5th in Taiga. twelvefootsis2 just missed promotion one notch behind in 6th.

Ecological balance is restored as two JBL'ers moved down a notch. I am trading places with twelvefootbro so we will be trading sister opponents. The other JBL'er being demoted shall remain nameless due to LPPA rules :lol: .
I'm not sure how tongue-in-cheek these comments are, but this brings to mind something I've wondered about. What are the generally accepted rules of thumb for acknowledging people we 'know' from JBoard, LL, etc, given the different levels of anonymity people maintain with usernames, avatars, etc? For example, it's become clear to me that I might find myself in the same rundle with one or more of ya'll, but I don't know how appropriate it is to mention that. Are some people protective enough of their real name, etc, that they wouldn't want a connection drawn between their 'names' here and there?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mahatma wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:58 am

I'm not sure how tongue-in-cheek these comments are, but this brings to mind something I've wondered about. What are the generally accepted rules of thumb for acknowledging people we 'know' from JBoard, LL, etc, given the different levels of anonymity people maintain with usernames, avatars, etc? For example, it's become clear to me that I might find myself in the same rundle with one or more of ya'll, but I don't know how appropriate it is to mention that. Are some people protective enough of their real name, etc, that they wouldn't want a connection drawn between their 'names' here and there?
General rule is if you haven't gotten permission or they haven't already outed themselves (i.e. most J! champs), don't use real names.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:17 am

General rule is if you haven't gotten permission or they haven't already outed themselves (i.e. most J! champs), don't use real names.
I will add that it's best to err on the side of caution.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks to 144 inch boy for running the minor league board. Playing two matches a day was tricky having to switch back and forth between pages to see each player’s get rates. Thank you also for respecting my privacy but feel free to mention my rundle in the future.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Everything that twelvefootboy says is tongue-in-cheek, but I try to limit the deprecating remarks to myself :).

Like the maestros have already chimed in, best just to not take any chances. I stopped myself in mid-sentence as I was typing the previous post when I connected the dots (rank + league = dox), even though Bamaman has already posted the intel. At least he has the chance to edit/delete his own post if the paparazzi start lurking around trying to get a shot of the champ for the tabloids :lol:. I've considered pasting Thorsten's grids or JBL standings, but I haven't solved the equation of graphics here, and I'd have to photoshop the player names with Jboard handles.

I know from previous seasons that there are a couple of other boardies, including a champion in our Taiga rundle, but can't match them to the player so I am getting my beatdowns anonymously. At least I don't have JenningsK showing up in the schedule :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:18 am
econgator wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:17 am

I will add that it's best to err on the side of caution.
cmp146 usually posts a list every season, these are jboard members that have told her their LL name and she shares what rundle everyone is in when each season starts. Looks like she never got to post this season's list, you can see a placeholder for it on page 1. But in future seasons if you see a player listed there then it is probably okay to connect a person's jboard name with their LL name. You can see last season's list here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5794&p=337318#p337318
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BarrettM & MarkBarrett seems like a simple connection and I of course have no objections to the match being posted. There are some sites where I am WhoisMark.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The group assignments for the food and drink ML have been posted. I am in Group 175.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:30 pm The group assignments for the food and drink ML have been posted. I am in Group 175.
Group 12
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Group 368 for me.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Group 6 (which I've yet to experience)
In and out of the pool four times
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:39 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:30 pm The group assignments for the food and drink ML have been posted. I am in Group 175.
Group 12
Me too and we play on MD1...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:57 am
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:39 pm
Group 12
Me too and we play on MD1...
Blimey!
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Group 44 here. Of course, I drew somebody I know on MD1, who just finished #2 in his A rundle, behind only you-know-who. So, I'm just going to take my beating and try to do better tomorrow.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Basketball Day 1...I'm in Group 119. Good luck all!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I'm in group 130 for Basketball and am also wishing everyone the best of luck!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Looks like I've been moved from Taiga to Foundry.