Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by MarkBarrett »

My opponent gave me one for The Barefoot Contessa (the only one I missed) an' a two for Lawrence Welk. I'm another for On the Waterfront. Sometimes I catch part of Lawrence Welk rerunning on a PBS station and I'll stop to hear a song I recognize and marvel at how colorized everything was to show off novel at the time color TVs. That show is a lot better in my 50s than it was when stuck to watch it as a kid.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I didn't realize Lawrence Welk was colorized, because we didn't have a color TV until later. Watched it with my parents every week.

I ended up giving my opponent 2 for Barefoot Contessa, the only question they got correct. SMDH. In defense of my...defense, their food and tv/pop culture stuff was pretty low, and their geography/world history/us history was pretty strong. I wasn't going to give a lot of points for James Brown, and as an architect, I should've know I was way underestimating the difficulty of the Sydney Opera House.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have seen Barefoot Contessa products in grocery stores so I got it from that. Didn’t know there was a movie.

Being old is a blessing in LL sometimes when you get questions about Lawrence Welk.

I got the Opera House from remembering being surprised to learn it opened as recently as 1973. (Younger than me!).
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Harry Styles and Ina Garten questions on back-to-back days is as close to wheelhouse as I may ever get. Keep the One Direction and Food Network questions coming! We've already covered Zayn (last season's Mid-Season Classic) and now Harry, so keep your eyes peeled for Niall, Liam, or Louis in the next few seasons.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Ina Garten was on the cover of October’s issue of the Costco Connection which I scanned through the day before and then her nickname was also mentioned in a supermarket shopper mailer that I saw after I’d answered. She seems to enjoy cooking. My opponent and I both scored 5 correct answers but I need to play better defense.

I took a tour and saw a modernized version of Henry V at the Sydney Opera House and it is on a spit of land right near the Harbour Bridge. You can climb that bridge which was daunting at first. Celebrities take an elevator to the top.

I’ve only read 2 Vonnegut novels and I chose Slaughterhouse 5 instead of Cat’s Cradle.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I really thought the "string game" hint would make Cat's Cradle a giveaway.

Cat's Cradle is probably my favorite Vonnegut novel. I liked it much more than Slaughterhouse Five. He was a clever dude.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I knew Barefoot Contessa was a movie, one of the few Bogart movies I haven't seen, but had never heard of it as food related. I went right to Waterfront and never looked back, would have bet a significant amount I had that one correct and thus a sixpack. Still won 9(5) 7(5). Was shocked at the reveal and also shocked this morning to see Waterfront was the MCWA but only at 6% (I think), would have expected north of 25%.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

My coin toss / change my first guess losing streak continues. I started with Sidney Opera House, but Sidney Harbor and knowledge waters bothered me. 1973 sounded perfect for World Trade Center (and it was, having opened in 1973), and a little old for the Opera House. The Gateway Arch wasn't a bad guess, but it dates to 1966, and I remember it from My Weekly Reader in 6th grade.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:31 pm My coin toss / change my first guess losing streak continues. I started with Sidney Opera House, but Sidney Harbor and knowledge waters bothered me. 1973 sounded perfect for World Trade Center (and it was, having opened in 1973), and a little old for the Opera House. The Gateway Arch wasn't a bad guess, but it dates to 1966, and I remember it from My Weekly Reader in 6th grade.
WTC came to mind first for me, but "What is the name of the architectural marvel, which opened in October 1973, that sits on a promontory known" sits on took me away from it as it would have probably said "sat on". Even more of what moved me away from that answer was that there were two towers (1 WTC and 2 WTC) among I think it was 7 buildings for the overall WTC.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Butt rose, butt rose. Golly!

Frustratingly, I couldn't remember Bob's full mnemonic, and so had to rack my brain for the correct answer.

Only 14% got it right? That seems low.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:02 am Butt rose, butt rose. Golly!

Frustratingly, I couldn't remember Bob's full mnemonic, and so had to rack my brain for the correct answer.

I had only "ooh, taunt," taunting me. I wrote down all the ones I could name, and was sure I had named everyone except for the current one and the one in the blank, but once I allowed myself to believe Boutros-Ghali succeeded Pérez de Cuéllar, I could put Waldheim before him instead of after. That was the only non-instaget question of yesterday's set for me, and I tortured myself for a good two hours with the answer in hand.

Going into this week, I had given up 8 total unforced points. This week alone, I've given up 6, sinking my DE from .849 to .803.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

For the Waldheim question I knew it was the Austrian guy, but I could not for the life of me remember his name. It was kind of similar to what happened to me on the Cat's Cradle question the previous day, though I feel confident that I would not have pulled Waldheim even if I took all day to think about it.

For the Halt and Catch Fire Question I was trying to think of the Terminator TV show (Sarah Connor Chronicles) but could not remember what it was called. I thought that it was more recent than 2008-2009 and lasted for more than two seasons.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:32 am
I had only "ooh, taunt," taunting me.
While his EM Forster visual is very helpful for me, I found that UN mnemonic to be more work than just remembering the names. Diff'rent Strokes...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Who’s Bob?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Tough defensive loss for me 7(5)-8(4), but I can't really fault my defense. My opponent missed my zero (Stan), but got my three (Waldheim). Pretty hard to predict something like that. I missed "Halt and Catch Fire" with "Star Wars: The Clone Wars." That show sounds interesting, though.

The loss dropped me to fifth and there's not much time to make up ground.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:19 am Tough defensive loss for me 7(5)-8(4), but I can't really fault my defense. My opponent missed my zero (Stan), but got my three (Waldheim). Pretty hard to predict something like that. I missed "Halt and Catch Fire" with "Star Wars: The Clone Wars." That show sounds interesting, though.

The loss dropped me to fifth and there's not much time to make up ground.
Halt and Catch Fire is one of the best shows to come out in the past decade. It easily makes my top-20 all-time.

I am quite shocked about the Waldheim percentage. I always thought that UNSG order was just one of those things that all trivia buffs memorized.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Maeroff, Jared Hall, DHK and I got it. Jim Coury missed it. I spent the most time trying to figure out spumoni on my way to getting all six right. It was irrational of me to assign a 3 on the math one since if I got it then it can't be too difficult. A win is a win even if I give up a 5(2).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I remembered the previous question about Halt and Catch Fire from LL74 (Sep 2017) but couldn’t recall the name of the series three years later - and why should I?

Thorsten must have really loved this show ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:09 am

Who’s Bob?
Kids these days. ;)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mahatma wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:34 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:32 am
I had only "ooh, taunt," taunting me.
While his EM Forster visual is very helpful for me, I found that UN mnemonic to be more work than just remembering the names. Diff'rent Strokes...
I looked it up again after submitting, and I agree. I already had them all (at the time) memorized, if not in precise order, when I first read it, so I didn't have much need for it.