Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:12 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:35 am Tied for second highest TCA (would have been by itself except I *cough* typoed Goya as Hoya (Look! The keys are right together, man!). That's my story and I'm sticking to it... Actually, if I counted up all my stupids it could very well have been highest...but then I'd have to go back and do the same for other seasons so that doesn't seem fair either)

But for the past 12 seasons I've mostly fallen in the same 11 point range, so I wouldn't consider it an outlier season, just the happy side of the deviation.
One of my favorite pun names for a store is the carryout on Georgetown U's campus (it helps if you know the school's motto):
*Cheer, not motto, looks like
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:17 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:12 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:35 am Tied for second highest TCA (would have been by itself except I *cough* typoed Goya as Hoya (Look! The keys are right together, man!). That's my story and I'm sticking to it... Actually, if I counted up all my stupids it could very well have been highest...but then I'd have to go back and do the same for other seasons so that doesn't seem fair either)

But for the past 12 seasons I've mostly fallen in the same 11 point range, so I wouldn't consider it an outlier season, just the happy side of the deviation.
One of my favorite pun names for a store is the carryout on Georgetown U's campus (it helps if you know the school's motto):
*Cheer, not motto, looks like

Glad you found it, cause I didn’t get the joke
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:12 pm One of my favorite pun names for a store is the carryout on Georgetown U's campus (it helps if you know the school's motto):
Another classic, but on the coarser end of the pun scale, is [and I'm putting it in spoiler tags for those who may be easily offended]:
Spoiler
Beaver Liquors in Avon, Colorado. (Avon is the town near the base of the Beaver Creek ski resort)
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

It's LL's version of the NFL's Black Monday, when losing coaches get shown the door. So today I fired my defensive coordinator, who compiled a DE of .529, lowest in the rundle by 29 points. As a result, I finished one game underwater at 10-11-4. Wait 'til next year!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It was a good season for me, but I finished it with a bad 1(1)-2(3) loss. On the Goya question I locked in on Bimbo and didn't think any more about it. I stock both products at my side job, so I should have thought of Goya. I am also really surprised that Goya played easier than "recycling," which I was expecting to have about an 85% get rate. I was in 4th place in my C rundle after MD 24 but had no chance of promotion without the person who was in 3rd forfeiting, so dropping to 6th didn't really sting.

I finished with 79 TCA, which was 1 question short of tying my personal best. Those are also the only two times where I have ever hit or exceeded 75. I also had my second best defensive season ever, at .762, which was third in my rundle.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In a minor miracle I claimed the championship in Serengeti E2. I was lucky in the schedule as I didn’t have to face any of the others in the top four and lost to the fifth place person.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I had my best ever TCA of 91 (previous best was 87), most TMP, and most 3 pointers in a season. I also ended up 12/12 in geography and 13/14 in games sport, which I am pretty happy with. To me, it was an overall easier season as I had way more instagets than I can ever remember, including taking less than 5 minutes to get 5/6 right on MD 24 missing only TPP with the oh so close Pan Pacific. Only got 2 (Turkey, Barty) on MD25, which is a little irritating as I don't have HBO but knew the show was a short, one word title, I wasn't sure what adobo is but we eat a lot of goya black beans in my house, I know what a wrap dress is but couldn't decipher the clue, and the recycling one I also couldn't figure out what a one-sided non-orientable surface was which totally threw me off. Finished top third of my C rundle so no real drama there after about MD20. Second in the JBL to an A rundle morbeedo is about as good as I can hope for.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

StevenH wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:01 pm It was a good season for me, but I finished it with a bad 1(1)-2(3) loss. On the Goya question I locked in on Bimbo and didn't think any more about it. I stock both products at my side job, so I should have thought of Goya. I am also really surprised that Goya played easier than "recycling," which I was expecting to have about an 85% get rate. I was in 4th place in my C rundle after MD 24 but had no chance of promotion without the person who was in 3rd forfeiting, so dropping to 6th didn't really sting.
Goya was more Current Events than it was Bus/Econ
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consum ... r-n1234743
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I found this season much tougher than last as I got 92 correct in my rookie season but 82 in this one.

I saw the image of Ivanka Trump holding up a can of Goya beans but I'd never heard of them before that. I guessed Old El Paso but didn't expect to be right. I didn't know Goya was a large brand.

I did feel confident in my "sundress" guess. But I guess they don't cross over and are generally longer.

I had a tough rookie rundle in my first season as I was sent to the D rundle despite that .613 correct %. So in this season I was leading going into the last match day but lost and fell to second. Oh well, still moving up I guess.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:59 pmI did feel confident in my "sundress" guess. But I guess they don't cross over and are generally longer.
Also a sundress definitely doesn't have long sleeves. I'd say they are almost always sleeveless.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:59 pm I found this season much tougher than last as I got 92 correct in my rookie season but 82 in this one.

I saw the image of Ivanka Trump holding up a can of Goya beans but I'd never heard of them before that. I guessed Old El Paso but didn't expect to be right. I didn't know Goya was a large brand.

I did feel confident in my "sundress" guess. But I guess they don't cross over and are generally longer.

I had a tough rookie rundle in my first season as I was sent to the D rundle despite that .613 correct %. So in this season I was leading going into the last match day but lost and fell to second. Oh well, still moving up I guess.
In the grocery stores I work in Goya products are in the “Authentic Mexican” section rather than “Warehouse Mexican”. So it is more of a speciality product.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:31 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:59 pm I found this season much tougher than last as I got 92 correct in my rookie season but 82 in this one.

In the grocery stores I work in Goya products are in the “Authentic Mexican” section rather than “Warehouse Mexican”. So it is more of a speciality product.
More Puerto Rican than Mexican.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MY BWA votes went to New Serif in Town, 2017 Houston Astros, and Fast at Tiffany's.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:53 pm MY BWA votes went to New Serif in Town, 2017 Houston Astros, and Fast at Tiffany's.
I bought a higher membership level this time and was eligible to vote on BWA. I waded through about 70 on the list (didn’t finish it) and none struck me as worth more than a mild chuckle so I didn’t submit a vote.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:58 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:53 pm MY BWA votes went to New Serif in Town, 2017 Houston Astros, and Fast at Tiffany's.
I bought a higher membership level this time and was eligible to vote on BWA. I waded through about 70 on the list (didn’t finish it) and none struck me as worth more than a mild chuckle so I didn’t submit a vote.
I didn’t care for most of them, but thought there were a few good ones.

I’m trying to remember if I even submitted one this season. I guess I had answers I thought were reasonable guesses for ones I didn’t know, or didn’t think of anything funny enough to go for it.

Really wish I didn’t go for a real answer on the Barefoot Contessa and submitted Ina Garten of Eatin
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:26 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:58 pm
I didn’t care for most of them, but thought there were a few good ones.

I’m trying to remember if I even submitted one this season. I guess I had answers I thought were reasonable guesses for ones I didn’t know, or didn’t think of anything funny enough to go for it.

Really wish I didn’t go for a real answer on the Barefoot Contessa and submitted Ina Garten of Eatin
That one was pretty funny.

I only really looked at the list last night before I went to bed and I was half asleep. The list was just too long for my brain to process at that time. Might have found some I liked if I had put more effort into it.

I have only tried for BWA a couple of times. If I don’t know it or have a reasonable guess I just leave it blank and move on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Can you explain what's funny about "2017 Houston Astros?" Either it went right over my head or it's just funny because it's so absurd.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:46 pm I have only tried for BWA a couple of times. If I don’t know it or have a reasonable guess I just leave it blank and move on.
Yeah, that's me, too. Maybe if something witty comes to me right away, I might try now that TI isn't picking them, but otherwise if I can't come up with a viable answer, it just stays blank.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:03 pm
Can you explain what's funny about "2017 Houston Astros?" Either it went right over my head or it's just funny because it's so absurd.
I don't find it funny, but the reference is a comparison between the backstage sounds and the garbage can beating (or whatever it was) that tipped off the Astros.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Frustrating season; finished with the sixth-highest TMP in my rundle but only 12th in the standings. The top 5 in my rundle got promoted to D level for next season...and although I wouldn't have finished in the promotion zone, 3 of the top 5 finished with fewer TMP than me.

Oh well...there are more serious things to be concerned about. I'll just try to do better next season.