Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 87 -- Nov/Dec 2020

Post by classicroadster »

I find questions like Q6 yesterday so hard to defend. Its a sports question that, at first glance, is hard as I certainly did not know the answer, but really ends up being, "Name an old famous yankee." My opponent was British and not great at sports, so that got the 3. Of course, he named the correct old yankee (as did I) and we tied 5(4)-5(3). I could've won anyway but lost the Koin flip on Jane Eyre/Emma and also had the MCWA of Motown.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Given my Bronx location, I was surprised to be given 3 for Joe DiMaggio. I mean, that's a field goal right there.

I feel for the LLama who reported a miss on the Austen question for giving a wrong last name. "First name only" might have been too leading, but had the Q asked simply for the book's title, that nasty trap could have been avoided.
I'm smart and I want respect.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:47 am I find questions like Q6 yesterday so hard to defend. Its a sports question that, at first glance, is hard as I certainly did not know the answer, but really ends up being, "Name an old famous yankee." My opponent was British and not great at sports, so that got the 3. Of course, he named the correct old yankee (as did I) and we tied 5(4)-5(3). I could've won anyway but lost the Koin flip on Jane Eyre/Emma and also had the MCWA of Motown.
The automatic drip coffee lover came into play to know which old Yankee to name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUB6LBsveH0
Total game show career losings = $171,522
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I mentally associate Joe DiMaggio with the 50s because of Marilyn Monroe, and he retired in 1951, but I see now that his career started in 1936. I had a feeling the coffee ad was about a guy like DiMaggio but I specifically ruled him out. Shows what I know.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:47 am I find questions like Q6 yesterday so hard to defend. Its a sports question that, at first glance, is hard as I certainly did not know the answer, but really ends up being, "Name an old famous yankee." My opponent was British and not great at sports, so that got the 3. Of course, he named the correct old yankee (as did I) and we tied 5(4)-5(3). I could've won anyway but lost the Koin flip on Jane Eyre/Emma and also had the MCWA of Motown.
I’m horrible at sports so I wrote BABE RUTH then thought- nah, that’s gonna be wrong. So I thought a bit about the coffee clue and DIMAGGIO popped up through a vague association. Didn’t even get the Mr. Coffee connection until reading about him after the fact
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

First bagel in 4 seasons yesterday, the only one I had a shot on was Geronimo but that name just didn't come to mind. My day:
Q1. My kids were born in 2005 and 2008, so we missed the timeframe on this book despite going through hundreds of kids books between the 2 of them. Guessed penguins.
Q2. Went with Thailand, Cambodia never crossed my mind for having a king.
Q3. Don't have a dog and never had one, couldn't think of any dog-related diseases. After the reveal, I suppose I've heard of kennel cough but never getting there.
Q4. Misinterpreted the airborne clue, trying to think of who could be on the logo. Never knew the codename for bin laden hit.
Q5. Never heard of egg cream, is this a regional (non-New England or non-Southern) thing? Went with cream soda.
Q6. No chance.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

News from the JboardLite private rundle:
(spoilered to protect the innocent and dis-interested :).)
Spoiler
After 5 days, the lead has changed every day.
Bamaman is the current holder of the hot seat - can he hold on?
ClassicRoadster, morbeedo, and twelvefootsis2 are former leaders.

Singleton answers (of 10 players:
morbeedo - Rapa Nui
ClassicRoadster - Lamb of God and Haram
Armandillo - Cambodia
Sburris - Foundry
twelvefootsis1 - Egg Cream

JbL Skunks - Atlantic Records, Lions, and O'Higgins

JbL sweep: motherboard

JbL goat-horns (singleton miss preventing sweep): Geronimo (by anonymous player - no shaming here ;))

oh, speaking of shame - twelvefootboy sits solidly in tenth place! It's a tough room!
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 am News from the JboardLite private rundle:
morbeedo also leads with 7 MCW!!!
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:41 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:19 am News from the JboardLite private rundle:
morbeedo also leads with 7 MCW!!!
I'm just happy to not be in dead last place as I am in my real rundle. Defense and luck have not been on my side...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Got lucky on defense yesterday to beat the ringer in the minor league JBoard rundle. Fun to be in first, we’ll see how long it lasts.

I am 3-1-1 in my regular rundle. Good enough for fifth place in E-world.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:15 am Q5. Never heard of egg cream, is this a regional (non-New England or non-Southern) thing? Went with cream soda.
I got this from MST3K (episode: Squirm). The guy who ordered it is from New York, but it's also a 1976 movie so maybe not regional but ...era-al? time-al?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:29 pm
classicroadster wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:15 am Q5. Never heard of egg cream, is this a regional (non-New England or non-Southern) thing? Went with cream soda.
I got this from MST3K (episode: Squirm). The guy who ordered it is from New York, but it's also a 1976 movie so maybe not regional but ...era-al? time-al?
Definitely a New York thing and to an increasing degree, an eral thing. I'm glad I made it to Gem Spa for an egg cream before it closed this past May. For Patti Smith, it was almost the first thing she did on first arriving in New York.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A college friend went on to be the producer of Beavis and Butt-head, so I wasn't going to miss that even though I don't think I ever watched an episode of it. He also went on to create Daria.

Pretty good start for me; I'm sure the reckoning is coming soon.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Beavis and Butthead is maybe my favourite TV show of all time. I was a 16 year old boy who wore metallica shirts already when it came out. I don't know if there's ever been an easier LL question for me.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

terrible start to the season. thought I had 5 right on MD6 - hit submit - whaaaaat?? just 1 right!?

almost fell off my chair!

3 MCW (petroglyph, ren and stimpy, lincoln)

must take more time must take more time must take more time
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I won my match yesterday, but I'm kind of irked because my opponent messed up my sterling defensive score by somehow missing "lithography" which I assigned zero points to. Art is his second worst category, but I figured this one was really more of a language question. OTOH he assigned zero to Beavis and Butt-head and I missed that one with Ren & Stimpy.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:49 am I won my match yesterday, but I'm kind of irked because my opponent messed up my sterling defensive score by somehow missing "lithography" which I assigned zero points to. Art is his second worst category, but I figured this one was really more of a language question. OTOH he assigned zero to Beavis and Butt-head and I missed that one with Ren & Stimpy.
I went with Red & Stimpy, too. Looks like we had lots of company.

The day before, I had no idea what the canine disease was, so I went for BWA and wrote Rin-Tin-Tinnitus.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:19 pm The day before, I had no idea what the canine disease was, so I went for BWA and wrote Rin-Tin-Tinnitus.
Not bad! Way better than many of the actual VBWA candidates lately.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:49 am I won my match yesterday, but I'm kind of irked because my opponent messed up my sterling defensive score by somehow missing "lithography" which I assigned zero points to. Art is his second worst category, but I figured this one was really more of a language question. OTOH he assigned zero to Beavis and Butt-head and I missed that one with Ren & Stimpy.
I had a painful 5(4)-7(4) loss yesterday for the same reason: zeroed lithography as a language question (which they missed).
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:21 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:19 pm The day before, I had no idea what the canine disease was, so I went for BWA and wrote Rin-Tin-Tinnitus.
Not bad! Way better than many of the actual VBWA candidates lately.
with the new method of choosing bwa, there were some good ones in the choices last season.
Total game show career losings = $171,522