Wednesday, November 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Eire is two syllables
Xu Donym wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:30 pm Would you say today's FJ is another example of the decline of writing on Jeopardy? At the very least it's sloppy or culturally tone-deaf, considering that
Spoiler
"Spain" is only known as "Spain" to English-speakers, while people living in that U.N.-member nation refer to it with the three-syllable España. Meanwhile, west of the UK, there's a U.N. member nation that calls itself Éire -- one syllable.
To make the question airtight and merit the given response, it could have been pinned not just to U.N. membership, but also to what people outside of the nation call the nation. Perhaps "5 U.N. member countries have one-syllable names in a U.N. official language: Chad, Laos, & these 3 in Europe" would have gotten it done? Otherwise, a contestant offering
Spoiler
Éire and France and Greece
might have made for an interesting ruling by the judges.

[Edited to ask: am I "overdoing it" with spoiler tags? I am surprised to see that a couple of posts above mine give away the FJ answer, which I thought wasn't something to do here, especially before an episode has aired everywhere.]
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:30 pm Would you say today's FJ is another example of the decline of writing on Jeopardy? At the very least it's sloppy or culturally tone-deaf, considering that
"Spain" is only known as "Spain" to English-speakers, while people living in that U.N.-member nation refer to it with the three-syllable España. Meanwhile, west of the UK, there's a U.N. member nation that calls itself Éire -- one syllable.
If you're going to go that route, then Greece is Ελλάδα, or Hellas. More than one syllable. They probably should have specified the English names of the countries in the clue.

I went 2 for 3. I started working down the Balkans, but didn't get all the way down to Greece.

Pre-pandemic, I got food from a Greek take-out place once a week. The setup there and the ordering process is not all that dissimilar to the Soup Nazi episode. The owner is therefore well known as the Greek Nazi. He even made a t-shirt out of it. I've taught myself enough Greek to order my food in Greek which, under his gruff exterior, I know endears me to him. I try to drive downtown every other week so I can still get his food and support him during these difficult times. He'd be disappointed in me missing this one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Looks like the writers called the election before the AP did with the category IT'S GONNA BE CLOSE... followed immediately by HE'S OUT! :D

What was that pendant Keoni was wearing? I wondered if it had a Celtic connection that I wasn't recognizing.
Spoiler
2020-11-04 - Keoni's Pendant.jpg
2020-11-04 - Keoni's Pendant.jpg (83.93 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
I'll be checking the box that admits I stupidly and reflexively said What is Six Degrees of KEVIN BACON rather than Separation. :oops: THAT woulda made the YouTube blooper reel.

Got the third FJ country at about the 23 second mark, so it's a get from the couch. Under the lights? I don't like my chances. I believe I would freak out when the third country kept not coming to me and would end up unable to think.

I'm a fan of Devin but not of that wager. I assume he wasn't being reckless and just didn't understand that he was throwing away the opportunity to win the game even if he missed FJ. And for that he gets an extra $10,000 that I wouldn't have in the same spot. :evil:

Keoni's wager was kind of odd. If he was betting to tie (or assuming Devin would hold back at least $1), he really should have bet $8400 and ended up with $10000 on a miss. Instead he bet $10000 and ended up with $8400 on a miss. Ordinarily I'd assume this was just another case of Round Number Betting. But the chiasm formed by lining his numbers up against the correct ones makes me think there might be more going on. I wonder if he made the right calculations but ended up picking the wrong number from his scratch sheet.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I got Spain immediately on FJ...then blanked on the other two. And I've been to France!!! :oops:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:39 pm Eire is two syllables
I wondered about that. Thank you.

Regarding Laos, I'd classify it as about one and a quarter syllables. The ao doesn't quite form a diphthong but a quick glide from an ow sound to an oo sound. So, exaggerated, Lau-oose. But the emphasis is so emphatically on the first syllable that the second syllable never really comes into its own. If that makes sense. Anyway, 1.25 syllables rounds down to 1, so I'm good with calling it a 1 syllable country.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh yeah, I had a question for our golf enthusiasts. (Golf enthusiasts may weigh in as well.) Do (pro) golfers tend to leave the flag in now that they have the option? I seem to recall reading years ago that leaving the flag in gave a slight statistical bump to the likelihood that your putt would drop. Makes sense, I suppose. But I don't recall how rigorous the testing was that led to this conclusion. And even if the evidence was rock solid, I have to imagine there are those who would decline to make the switch for any number of reasons. What's the scuttlebutt on the greens these days?

Also, prior to 2019, what was the penalty for leaving the flag in the hole? How often did that penalty need to be applied? Did it ever affect the outcome of a match? Game? Which one's the right word there? They both seem off somehow.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:56 pm
What was that pendant Keoni was wearing? I wondered if it had a Celtic connection that I wasn't recognizing.
Spoiler
2020-11-04 - Keoni's Pendant.jpg
Looks like Maui's hook to me.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Decided to skip this episode today since the election is more important.

Another easy FJ! clue that I got within a few seconds...or maybe I’m one that made it to the school finals in the Geography Bee. :P
It's the end of the journey that counts.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:14 pm Also, prior to 2019, what was the penalty for leaving the flag in the hole? How often did that penalty need to be applied? Did it ever affect the outcome of a match? Game? Which one's the right word there? They both seem off somehow.
Prior penalty was: two strokes in stroke play, loss of hole in match play. I don't know if it ever had an effect on the outcome. As to the term, I don't think there is a defined term for it. I think that only "round" is defined in the rules of golf. I'd guess any of match, event, tournament, competition, etc. is fine (but not game).
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,600
40 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Mackinac Island, gallon/galleon, Six Degrees of Separation (DD), pheasant, white-winged dove

Every time I do a Sporcle "Countries of the World" or "Countries of Europe" quiz, I forget about Greece. Every. Single. Time. A day may come when I overcome this mental block, but it is not this day.

I had to root for Devin as he is from my hometown and is apparently a wrestling fan. He finished his intro with Adam Cole's "Boom!" gesture:

Man, I hate "Edge of Seventeen," but classic rock/'80s/adult contemporary radio can't get enough of it. If I never again had to hear Stevie Nicks bleat on about the white-winged dove, it would be too soon.
CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:39 pm Eire is two syllables
Yeah, like you're some kind of expert on the subject.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:59 pm Every time I do a Sporcle "Countries of the World" or "Countries of Europe" quiz, I forget about Greece. Every. Single. Time. A day may come when I overcome this mental block, but it is not this day.
I've been to all three of those countries and I still forgot it.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I Actually got Greece at the Last second but didnt get France.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I think this FJ was written mainly for the home audience. I did better with this one that asked only for two of three 5-letter state capitals. I suppose they felt these were three famous European countries but three rather obscure state capitals, as if a Jeopardy player would make such a distinction.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Tough break for Keoni. It took me several seconds to get any of the countries for FJ, but then got Spain and France in quick succession. Got Greece with only a couple seconds to spare. I could easily see this one being a real killer "under the lights."
davey

Post by davey »

I hate FJs based on meaningless coincidence, but I won't complain too much about this one, since I got all 3 within seconds. Yes, Greece came last, but fast on the heels...
You know why I still think Laos is 2 syllables? Because I've never heard anyone say, Wood and rubber are 2 of the biggest ˈlouSH(ə)n/ exports. As already pointed out, based on the clue, we're certainly not talking about the way native speakers say it...
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Was pulling for Keoni, especially after the bold DD gambit late. He recognized the situation for what it was and went for the win. Final was a race, as Alex warned. I was in the right mindset to pull all three in plenty of time, but the person I was watching with couldn't get Greece in time. So it played out the same here.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:33 pm
Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:59 pm I figured they were asking for big countries, so my thought process went like this

Spain, yes. France, yes. Italy, no. Greece, yes. Done writing with ten seconds to spare.
Greece isn't very big. You skipped at least the following larger European countries: Ukraine, Norway, Germany, Poland, Sweden, Finland, United Kingdom, Belarus, Romania, and Denmark*.

---------------
* Depending what you count as Denmark.

I think of Greece as "big" and I'm not gonna complain about my good luck lol
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

rockyboy34 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:35 pm Decided to skip this episode today since the election is more important.

Another easy FJ! clue that I got within a few seconds...or maybe I’m one that made it to the school finals in the Geography Bee. :P
Geography is one of my strong suits, too, but I was never in the geography bee (or any type of bee)
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:24 pm
The timeline of my writing down the 3 correct responses in FJ went like this:
France - before Alex finished reading
Spain - 8 seconds in
Greece - about 20 - 22 seconds in

It left me enough time to see that Devin definitely got it and Keoni needed more time.
Mine was similar, but I got both Spain and France before Alex finished reading, with Greece finally coming about 25 seconds in. I also read the contestant's faces like you did and pretty much knew what the finally outcome would be.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:04 am I think this FJ was written mainly for the home audience. I did better with this one that asked only for two of three 5-letter state capitals.
I didn't read the crucial word there and started thinking, well, there's Paris, and.... There are actually three more, but I coudn't get the number up to 2 in 30 seconds.
Spoiler
Minsk, Sofia, Vaduz
When I switched to the states, I got one immediately and another pretty quickly. But I would not have been able to get all three in FJ time.
Spoiler
I suspect Delaware is the most forgotten state in Name the States quizzes. So of course its capital is the hardest to think of. I tend to approach these clues via a map in my head. People who go alphabetically have a much better chance of getting Delaware and Dover. Only D state, one of three D capitals. I could train myself to approach it both ways. But with 30 seconds, it's probably better just to pick a way and commit.
Spoiler
Dover, Denver, and the one you forgot.
Spoiler
Des Moines