Friday, November 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, November 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 »

On the Katy Perry DD, did anyone else mistakenly blurt out Brave? Ever since the controversy about whether Roar was a copycat of the Sara Bareilles song I've had trouble keeping the titles straight.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:40 pm Largest desert in Africa is worth $1000? Really?

Knew it wasn't Little Mermaid, but it was all I could think of.
Not even close. It's the Sahara.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:02 pm Would not have guessed English wasn’t his mother tongue if Burt had not mentioned it.
Same. That was the one thing that seemed odd about his story yesterday of growing up in the jungle riding tigers looking for elephants. He sounds like he grew up not too far from here. Alex is a good teacher.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:03 pm Matched Burt with blanking on Gene...ugh. In this case, Andrew had the full name on the ready for the rebound. Note to aspiring contestants - be careful not to speak until you have a complete response, lest you help a competitor
Maybe. Sometimes if you say the part you know, the rest comes tumbling out. Could be a calculated risk to get started and hope you can finish.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I took years of French in high school, I guess I never learned the word for thumb... :roll: I did know that Joan of Arc is sometimes called Joan La Pucelle - Joan the Maid - so I thought that was close enough to The Little Mermaid... :oops:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

There was some odd clue placement this game to say the least:

- If I didn't have a flashcard on the Vltava River, GO WEST for $400 would have been a hard stand and stare.
- As mentioned earlier, largest desert in Africa for $1000??? Wow...
- With only "adventurer" as a TOM (maybe "college" as well), YOUNG MAN OR WOMAN for $1200 seemed super tough to pull Indiana Jones. Luckily I have watched the show.

FJ had me vacillate between Thumbelina and Tinkerbell for most of the Think music. I figured the latter would have a more literal translation in French and Spanish, and I know the word for "bell" in both languages, so I was able to pick the right one this time.

Like others have said, this was a very impressive game to watch. As much as I was looking forward to watching more of Burt, I was gobsmacked by Andrew's trivia knowledge. Bring on Monday!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

If the correct answer had been The Little Mermaid, did the new champ write it completely enough to be credited?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DBear wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:19 pm :roll: :D :D on DDs. Katy Perry, who cares?
Guessed Cinderella for FJ :(
Got all the trash that was available.
One might also say who cares to your opinions on pop-culture after…what, 1935? And yet you feel the need to share them regularly!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,400
51 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: accompanied, four-in-hand, abbreviated, Liechtenstein, Quebec, Cook Strait

Great game.

If my daughter hadn't been talking about something Thumbelina-related over the past few days, I don't think I would have pulled this one. I realized several seconds in that pulga was close to pulgada, which means inch, and I remembered learning years ago that there was some connection between that word and the hands, but without the name having been in my brain recently, who knows.

Andrew blew a chance to put the game away on DD3. He was up $23,600 to $10,800 with a single $2,000 clue to play. A wager of $2,001 would have guaranteed the lock. Instead, his admittedly conservative wager of $1,000 left the door cracked open. Lucky for him, Steven could not come up with Cook Strait for the body of water between New Zealand's main islands.
econgator wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:40 pm Largest desert in Africa is worth $1000? Really?
It was so obvious I talked myself out of the right response. I was 99% sure the largest desert in Africa is the Sahara, but if they're asking about it in the bottom row, it must actually be the Kalahari. Doh! Between that and thinking of Mel Brooks rather than Gene Wilder as Doctor Fronk-en-steen, I flushed $6,000 worth of Coryat down the tubes.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:06 am Andrew blew a chance to put the game away on DD3. He was up $23,600 to $10,800 with a single $2,000 clue to play. A wager of $2,001 would have guaranteed the lock. Instead, his admittedly conservative wager of $1,000 left the door cracked open. Lucky for him, Steven could not come up with Cook Strait for the body of water between New Zealand's main islands.
He would have been best served by a wager of exactly $2,000 in this situation. Missing keeps a lock-tie, getting it right (as he did) guarantees at least a lock-tie.

Also, I know it's hard to keep track of the scores while you are playing, but Steven should have rung in on that last clue if he had any idea at all.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:13 pm Andrew Chaikin has the stage name Kid Beyond, and he's a super talented beatboxer whom I've been aware of longer than I've been on J! message boards. He's also had a few puzzles used for Will Shortz's weekly challenges on NPR. I'm looking forward to watching him play (when KABC airs this episode tomorrow night).
So, I thought he was Andrew Chaikin, Brown '78, who graduated a year ahead of me. But he's not; he's Andrew Chaikin '91. It's very weird that there are two well-known Andrew Chaikins that are Brown alumni. Andrew Chaikin '78 is renowned as an astrophysicist whose book was turned into the mini-series, "From the Earth to the Moon".

Unfortunately, I got stuck on 'pouce' because I knew that 'puce' in French is flea. I didn't know 'pouce' was 'thumb', so I never came close to Thumbellina.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Didn't know the words for "thumb," but pul- pointed me toward "chicken." I said Chicken Little.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:06 am Coryat: $39,400
51 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: accompanied, four-in-hand, abbreviated, Liechtenstein, Quebec, Cook Strait

Great game.

If my daughter hadn't been talking about something Thumbelina-related over the past few days, I don't think I would have pulled this one. I realized several seconds in that pulga was close to pulgada, which means inch, and I remembered learning years ago that there was some connection between that word and the hands, but without the name having been in my brain recently, who knows.
Pulga means flea in Spanish* if I’m not mistaken, but pulgar means thumb.

*Avenida de las Pulgas in oh-so-toney Palo Alto cracked me up with the image of flea-ridden houses.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:30 am - If I didn't have a flashcard on the Vltava River, GO WEST for $400 would have been a hard stand and stare.
That's one I knew from Classical music. I learned by flipping through the record bins that Bedřich Smetana didn't write two tone poems, one called "Vltava" and the other "Die Moldau". They're the same river referred to by its Czech or German name. So Vltava ==> Czech ==> capital must be Prague.

Of course, the clue also mentioned the Charles Bridge and that was the easy way in. I think that's what made the clue a $400 one in the writers' minds. Vltava was there for the assist, not as the sole TOM.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

NHO "pulgar" after two years of college Spanish, so...oops. I did recognize "dedo" for "finger", so that's proof that I remembered something from way back then, but there was no way I was going to get to thumb. Like everyone else, I knew the "-cita/ petite" diminutive part of the clue, but being a little distracted by French, I went for "The Little Prince", which I was 99% sure was wrong. I couldn't come up with "prince" in either language, but it didn't SEEM like "pulgar". (In French, it's "prince". Duh.) And perhaps it's not quite a "fairy tale", but a novella?

Fairy tale categories always scare me. There are so many of them, particularly across many cultures, so while I'd heard the name Thumbellina (and would have gotten there had I known the derivations), I couldn't tell you a thing about her except that she's small.

Judges: "Valdez pipeline" for "Alaska pipeline"? The full name is "Trans Alaskan pipeline", and it does go through (terminate at?) Valdez. I think I conflated it with the Exxon Valdez....it's probably a no. I keep half-knowing stuff this week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have heard of Thumbalina but I couldn’t tell you what her story is about. I was having a medical procedure a couple years ago and one of my nurses was named Thumbalina.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:02 pm I have heard of Thumbalina but I couldn’t tell you what her story is about. I was having a medical procedure a couple years ago and one of my nurses was named Thumbalina.
Named? Or nicknamed?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:21 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:02 pm I have heard of Thumbalina but I couldn’t tell you what her story is about. I was having a medical procedure a couple years ago and one of my nurses was named Thumbalina.
Named? Or nicknamed?
Is was on her nametag. I made a comment about it and she indicated it was her real name.

She is also the only person who could find a vein to insert an IV in my right arm since I had chemo there so she knew what she was doing.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

No idea how I made the association to "thumb", but once I did it was just a short hop to Tom Thumb. I think it's a darn good guess.
davey

Post by davey »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:39 pm No idea how I made the association to "thumb", but once I did it was just a short hop to Tom Thumb. I think it's a darn good guess.
Both the names given are feminine. In fact, a quick search shows that Pulgarcito is Tom Thumb, and Le Petit Poucet is a character called in English Hop-o'-My-Thumb.