Monday, November 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORD ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word for a type of building or institution comes from Greek for a place sacred to a mythical group of 9

Andrew Chaikin: 22200+2199=24399
Monisha Crisell: 10000-0=10000
Ben Lewis: 24200+20201=44401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
museum (Monisha – Pantheon)

Daily Doubles
Andrew: 7800+3000
Ben: 10000+6000
Ben: 17200+5000

Coryats
Andrew: 19800
Monisha: 10000
Ben: 15600

Combined: 45,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andrew: 11800
Monisha: 1600
Ben: 5600
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game has not aired yet, but I do use J6 to get the categories on my scoresheet ahead of time. The coincidence of there being a Ken Jennings category today seems fitting.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today's opening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yp_YM4 ... WlJ7v/view

Ending screenshot (spoiler to reduce size of post)
Spoiler

Ben found and converted DD2 and DD3. That often indicates a player will then have the lead for the FJ! round. Ben did lead although a little better buzzing by Andrew, a slip up by Ben, Monisha not finally getting the hang of the buzzer... it would not take much for Ben to have needed even more than +11000 on those DDs.

A to B dot connecting for the FJ! clue had me done quickly for a relief to get by a category that is far from my favorite. That allowed me to join Alex in watching the players during think time. Ben looked stumped and I scribbled a note, "Is he gonna choke?" At the end Ben was scribbling furiously and it seemed like he was writing so much I was not convinced he got it right. Alex's words when the music was over and again before going to Ben's response seemed to indicate a solve.

The title defense was there for Andrew on a tougher FJ! clue as WORD ORIGINS can often cause trouble. Instead the carousel seems to geared up.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6862

Another archivist added a note for the Friday show, "Last show aired before Alex Trebek's death at age 80 from pancreatic cancer."

The same archivist or another one can decide what note to add to today's game.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Played from the Archive.
:( :D :D on Daily Doubles. La Scala is one I should've got, but blanked.
FJ: Mythical group of 9 -> Muses -> museum, done. :mrgreen:
Not much to say about Alex's death that hasn't already been said. :cry:
cubeexpert42

Post by cubeexpert42 »

It will be sad watching this episode, but I still had the courage to go through the archive four hours before the game started to look at the clues.

30,600 coryat, 1/3 on DDs, didn't get FJ!. (I don't miss J! or DJ! non-DD clues very often) Opera and literature are not my wheelhouses. WORD ORGINS tends to be a good category for me, but I failed at this one.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:29 pm It's in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6862

Another archivist added a note for the Friday show, "Last show aired before Alex Trebek's death at age 80 from pancreatic cancer."

The same archivist or another one can decide what note to add to today's game.
It wasn't me, but may I suggest "Episode begins with a tribute to Alex by Executive Producer Mike Richards."

"First episode to air after Alex's death." just strikes me as too...on the nose, maybe. Just 1 man's opinion.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $50,600 (55R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Broke 50k for the first time in a regular-play adult game, which I'm going to go ahead and say is in honor of Alex. Not a lot to kick myself over except forgetting the category plus misreading the clue in ACRONYMS $400 and saying "cookie".

Surprised Andrew didn't last longer, but it would seem Ben is no slouch....
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:17 pm ...

DJ15 Andrew was correct in ACRONYMS. Not that DD3 couldn't be in there, but he switched to first column HISTORIC NAMES (a slightly better option in my opinion) and dropped to open play there in the $1200 box. That's more game awareness than many players show. Ben got it right and stuck with it to find key DD3 a box down in the $1600 slot.

A different DD shuffle or pick and Andrew could be playing tomorrow instead.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think the note now on today’s game was perfect.

A nice tribute by Andrew, although a little eerie when he said his previous favorite celebrity he met is also deceased.

I usually don’t do well at this category, but I got it after considering a couple academic type buildings.

After watching the opening, I decided we need to hire a new maid with all the dust that must be around.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Nice tribute by Mike Richards. Man, will this sink in after Christmas. At least we have these 7 weeks of gifts Alex left for us - let's enjoy them, as he'd want us to.

FJ was a near instaget for me, with a little bit of double checking to make sure that everything fit. I first thought of the Olympian gods, but those were 12 - 13 if you include Hestia, who gave up her seat to Dionysus and tended the hearth. My muse quickly came to me. Regular viewers had a distinct advantage over the contestants:

#8271, aired 2020-11-02 GREEK GODDESSES $2000: Give a whistle for her, the muse of epic poetry

Is Antarctica not an island? Is there some kind of maximum size for an island? I know they gave the area, which pins the clue to Greenland, but it confused me.

I clammed way too much in the dreaded opera category. I didn't KNOW Xerxes, but I knew Xerxes. Same for Cleopatra - although I'd associate her more with an asp than with figs.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I am of the belief that even though Andrew is obviously very good, he left too much on the table as far as trash in DJ. Was Ben fortunate to uncover both DD's in DJ and convert? Sure, but fortune favors the bold, or in the case, the one with board control. Knowing some pretty important names like David Lloyd George and Solomon Northup go a long way in having "luck" on your side. Very well played by Ben to take command and convert at the end there.

And if I may be so bold, I have to brag about the fact that I went 30/30 in DJ for the first time ever. The only close call was MARINE BIOLOGY for $2000, because I didnt know what the clue asked for until the last few words, and I had to spit it out before Andrew gave the correct response in order to credit myself.

FJ had me start by trying to break down the Greek root for the number 9. I quickly swatted that away and jumped to the "mythical group" TOM for the correct solve. While watching Ben scramble at the end there, I though he didn't get it because it was just a 6 letter word, but I assume he didn't pre-write "What is" like most should do. In the end, a dub is a dub. Well done.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:17 pm Archive playthrough:

Coryat $50,600 (55R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Broke 50k for the first time in a regular-play adult game, which I'm going to go ahead and say is in honor of Alex. Not a lot to kick myself over except forgetting the category plus misreading the clue in ACRONYMS $400 and saying "cookie".

Matched you with the personal-best 55 but came just shy of $50k. Usually not a good sign to see "word origins" in FJ, but I pieced this one together without much issue.

I also agree with you that Andrew looked like, at worst, a multi-game winner. Props to Ben for knocking off an excellent champion and to Monisha for staying competitive in this slugfest of a game.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:08 pm
Is Antarctica not an island? Is there some kind of maximum size for an island? I know they gave the area, which pins the clue to Greenland, but it confused me.
This is just one of those things where you have to know the Jeopardy definitions. In this case, an island is "a piece of land surrounded completely by water, and is the size of Greenland or smaller"

Kind of like peninsula... J! has the Arabian peninsula as the world's largest, but what about Europe? Or the part of Africa south of the Equator?
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:14 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:08 pm
This is just one of those things where you have to know the Jeopardy definitions. In this case, an island is "a piece of land surrounded completely by water, and is the size of Greenland or smaller"

Kind of like peninsula... J! has the Arabian peninsula as the world's largest, but what about Europe? Or the part of Africa south of the Equator?
No, one has to know what an island is and is not. Continents, by definition, are not islands.

The 10 largest islands is a basic trivia list. A category like this is simply free money. A DD in the 2nd box? Wager everything you have, your opponents have, and whatever you can steal from everybody in the studio.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Great game with strong competitors today that I'm sure Alex enjoyed filming.

Andrew seemed like Tournament of Champions material but ran into a strong competitor. $25,200 coryat yesterday and $19,800 today. As soon as it was revealed, he was kicking himself for not betting more on the first Daily Double and I'm sure he did even more so after the episode.

talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:08 pm Is Antarctica not an island? Is there some kind of maximum size for an island? I know they gave the area, which pins the clue to Greenland, but it confused me.
Antarctica is considered a continent.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Not Gonna Lie, This Episode was Hard to Watch, as will the other 34 episodes.