Tuesday, November 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORY IN THE MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Vehicles in "2001: A Space Odyssey" featured this airline’s logo, but the company went bankrupt in 1991

Ben Lewis: 19200-7201=11999
Melissa Givens: 2000-100=1900
Greg Marrero: 13200+8000=21200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pan Am (Ben – Martin) (Melissa – Eastern Airlines)

Daily Doubles
Ben: 200+1000
Ben: 8200+8200
Greg: 7600+4000

Coryats
Ben: 11800
Melissa: 2000
Greg: 11200

Combined: 25,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ben: 3000
Melissa: 2400
Greg: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Part of a Grammy winning group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspirare

Nice, pass the test, and along with that distinction that will get you on J!

It obvious early that today's game would be a let down from yesterday. 19000 combined on the scoreboard to end the J! round on Monday was down to 8600 today.

Melissa spent some time in the red and good for her doing enough to make it to the FJ! round.

The FJ! round was a classic 50/50/90 for me as my Dawson Crossin' went for TWA when I should have gone for the correct and first thing I wrote instead. I had nothing to go on to tip the scales either way.

Think time had me shrugging my shoulders and shaking my head as I knew I would pick the wrong one. That's what I get for never seeing that particular Kubrick film. The clips I've seen have primitives, a soaring bone and a talking computer.

Boo to the writers for having a business clue hiding in something labeled with "MOVIES". A bankrupt angle from the 1990s was not going to do anything to help me solve it.

My precall game was to pick one about history from 1700s, 1800s & 1900s with:
Mutiny on the Bounty
Glory
Selma

Ben once again played two DDs though only one was for big bucks this time. One different clue selection and Ben could have had the repeat. The edge in a J! match can turn on one things sometimes.

Greg took care of his business to pull ahead at the best time.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Wow, that's 2 games in a row in which I thought the returning champion was strong enough to be more than a one-and-done, then that ended up being the case regardless...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

These guest reader categories are killing me: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6863

4th podium win is possible though you need to just about sweep the available LT.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

I thanked Mark in a PM for his diligence in getting the Archive up to date so rapidly and I will do it again in public. Really, really appreciated.

For FJ, I went with the correct response quickly (with a pick the most famous yesteryear airline logic), but spent the next 25 seconds wondering if it might be (de Havilland) Comet because of the space connection. Feel the clue needed something more solid other than the bankruptcy year.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D on DDs
Got the coinflip right on FJ to get Pan-Am :mrgreen:
Trash available, but unable to take advantage of most of it.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $39,000 (42R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Had a craptastic J! round, tied for my worst of the season so far, then made up for it in DJ!. $11,600 in LT not quite enough for the 4th podium victory.

Happen to be old enough to remember Pan Am folding, so was pretty confident in FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Pan Am and went with it over Eastern, thinking it was a bigger name. Never heard of Martin.

FWIW, Eastern also folded in 1991.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:03 pmI had Pan Am and went with it over Eastern, thinking it was a bigger name. Never heard of Martin.

I went with TWA. Didn't think of Pan Am, but since I don't know when the various legacy airlines went under, I probably would have stuck with TWA even if I had thought of Pan Am, on the theory that it's more global. --Bob
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Bob78164 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:13 pm I went with TWA. Didn't think of Pan Am, but since I don't know when the various legacy airlines went under, I probably would have stuck with TWA even if I had thought of Pan Am, on the theory that it's more global. --Bob
I knew it was Pan Am from having seen the movie multiple times but to me, Pan Am was the logical choice. Although the U.S. has never had an official national airline, Pan Am served that role. Until its merger with National Airlines, it was strictly an international airline with no domestic service (except for service between the continental U.S. and Honolulu but that's always been quasi-international under the aviation regulations). TWA, OTOH, started as a domestic airline and didn't expand into international markets until later.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bob78164 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:13 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:03 pmI had Pan Am and went with it over Eastern, thinking it was a bigger name. Never heard of Martin.

I went with TWA. Didn't think of Pan Am, but since I don't know when the various legacy airlines went under, I probably would have stuck with TWA even if I had thought of Pan Am, on the theory that it's more global. --Bob
TWA and Pan Am were my two, but Pan Am's logo was far more iconic.

Also, that first clue tonight was odd. It seemed more a statement than a clue.

Rather than espresso, a South American beverage made with leaves is frothed with milk

Why not "this South American"?
cubeexpert42

Post by cubeexpert42 »

35R 1W (2/3 DDs)
33,200 (a bit higher than my average)
FJ! :mrgreen:

Originally thought of TWA for FJ!, then realized they were absorbed by AA in 2001. Finally decided to go with PanAm.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I’m another who remembered the Pan Am logo from the movie.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Never been more confident in a wrong response to FJ!. TWA here, and it was eerie how confident I was of it - but now remembering at all the defunct airlines, it could have been Eastern, TWA, or Pan Am. Of course, TWA was too late, and Eastern is a little more esoteric I suppose. This would have been easier 10 or so years ago, when Pan Am was a TV series.

I'm sketchy on my timeline of airline bankruptcies, so 1991 meant nothing to me. I knew that a now-defunct airline had a prominent placement in 2001, but I couldn't remember which one. I think I last saw the movie maybe 6 or 7 years ago, so that detail was going to be lost.

Clamming got me in the sports HOF category - I guessed the golf and tennis clues correctly. Golf because Florida seems like where the golf HOF should be, and tennis because WECIB - a big 4 wouldn't be in the bottom row, and golf was already taken.

Two anti-precalls in the Mariah Carey category: Tommy Mottola and Nick Cannon. A bit surprised that they nixed the "Vision of Love" clue after the wrong answer as given - usually they just give it as a virtual freebie to one of the other two players.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Instaget on FJ; "2001: A Space Odyssey" is one of my favorite films.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:52 pm That's what I get for never seeing that particular Kubrick film. The clips I've seen have primitives, a soaring bone and a talking computer.
Highly recommend The Sentinel, Clarke's short story which was the starting point for the film. Easily the top-10 short stories of all time for me.

It helped me a great deal that I read the book (that came after the movie was made, as a sort of a retro-screenplay) before watching the movie as otherwise it would have been unintelligible.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

It's been 7 or 8 years since I've seen 2001, so the film isn't gonna help me. Had to go the route of airline bankruptcies, and I think 1991=Pan Am has come up enough times to stick, so instaget for me.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell