Wednesday, November 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

Unlike the spinoffs category from yesterday, today's TV category had (as far as U.S. availability is concerned) four cable/streaming shows and only one show that airs on broadcast TV.

"Ozark" and "Peaky Blinders" - Netflix
"Killing Eve" - BBC America
"Mayans (M.C.)" - FX
"Good Girls" - NBC
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Andy can wipe his brow after getting past that game with Deanna playing well. It's hard to fault her for not betting huge on DD3 as so few players would go as high as she ended up needing for a lock.
Given Andy's wager, all she had to do was bet $0 on FJ. But how can you know a thing like that? Andy couldn't bet enough to overtake Deanna's score on a get without falling below Kevin's on a miss. So he made a reasonable but not entirely predictable choice to get close to Deanna on a get but still force Kevin to get FJ for any chance at a win. If only she'd known.
I predicted Andy would wager that way, based on the FJ wager he made from 2nd place in his first game. Back in the days when upcoming contestants could observe the competition from the audience, Deana might have had a hunch, if she had seen his first game. But then, she would still have to be well versed on wagering to begin with.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed TV Crime Shows $1200 and $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Elizabeth Banks, Zero, Smile Smile Smile, Porpoise

Although Baghdad means "Founded by God", it was founded by Al-Mansur. :idea:
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I find it rather odd watching Alex in these new episodes knowing that he’s no longer with us. I don’t know how I’ll handle the Dec 25 show. One thing that amazes me is how he can still manage to come across as “good ol Alex” with nary a hint of his condition. What a trouper he was.

Another very good show tonight with Deanna giving the champ all he could handle. BTW, Andy’s outfit tonight put me in mind of Harvey Keitel in some film role, but I can’t place it.

Country etymology had me salivating for FJ, but this clue was a gimme: I’d written a question related to it for my last 1DS in LL.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,800
51 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: zero

I had no idea the name Philip comes from philo + hippo. That's a fun fact. "Island country named for a Spanish king" narrows the field considerably, though.

Embarrassed I couldn't come up with Elizabeth Banks even though my family has seen The Lego Movie approximately eleventy bajillion times.

Costly misses for me: effusive for ebullient, matching Kevin's answer of porcupine for porpoise.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said bottom dollar instead of bottom line because I thought the responses had to have money in them.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:53 am
I had no idea the name Philip comes from philo + hippo. That's a fun fact. "Island country named for a Spanish king" narrows the field considerably, though.
same here.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 amBTW, Andy’s outfit tonight put me in mind of Harvey Keitel in some film role, but I can’t place it.
It does seem like a Harvey Keitel look, doesn't it? I can't place it either. It's not the dinner jacket and bow tie of Pulp Fiction. And it's not the white shirt and black tie of Reservoir Dogs. But it seems to fit in there somewhere.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:53 am Costly misses for me: effusive for ebullient, matching Kevin's answer of porcupine for porpoise.
I said effervescent, which I hope they were prepared to also accept since it too comes from the Latin for "pig fish". Wait. Wrong clue. It also comes from the Latin for "boiling" and has the e- prefix which makes it "boiling over".
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:48 am I said bottom dollar instead of bottom line because I thought the responses had to have money in them.
Ditto.

Flailed on FJ!. Any time I have to remember greek roots I have to force my way through a forest for latin first. Abandoned that and started working with "rey" or "el rey" - another dead end. As time dwindled I panicked and just starting thinking of island nations, starting in the Caribbean.

This just reinforces that I need to work on greek vs. latin, probably starting with the gods.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

Woof wrote:

I find it rather odd watching Alex in these new episodes knowing that he’s no longer with us. I don’t know how I’ll handle the Dec 25 show. One thing that amazes me is how he can still manage to come across as “good ol Alex” with nary a hint of his condition. What a trouper he was.
Amen to all of this, my friend, amen.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:08 am
Woof wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 amBTW, Andy’s outfit tonight put me in mind of Harvey Keitel in some film role, but I can’t place it.
It does seem like a Harvey Keitel look, doesn't it? I can't place it either. It's not the dinner jacket and bow tie of Pulp Fiction. And it's not the white shirt and black tie of Reservoir Dogs. But it seems to fit in there somewhere.
Harvey Keitel?? I get more of a Daniel Craig vibe from him, myself, whatever his suiting style... :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Requests and Starts with "E".

TV Crime Shows, however, was my only bagel. Give me another Lucifer clue already!

"Bottom Line" at $800 cost me the run, since the first three were all phrases with amounts of money in them and I couldn't shift in time.

I have literally never seen a fig before that wasn't in Newton form.

Spun my wheels in Animal Etymology, which should normally be a double wheelhouse. Apes and primates continue to be a blindspot; stalled out trying to think of a mammal beginning with "por-" because I was stuck on land mammals; and didn't realize the dormouse was a real animal.

Lover -> philos -> Uh... Philippines?

Lach Trash: "smile, smile, smile"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

File this under “getting it right the wrong way”.

Let’s see, what is Greek for horse? A filly is a horse. So this must be the Philippines.

I did realize that was poor reasoning but by then the music was into the second verse and didn’t have time to figure out something else.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 am File this under “getting it right the wrong way”.

Let’s see, what is Greek for horse? A filly is a horse. So this must be the Philippines.

I did realize that was poor reasoning but by then the music was into the second verse and didn’t have time to figure out something else.
A get is a get, you bet, you bet
And no one can scoff at a get, you bet
That is, you bet, unless the get's the ridiculous Filly-pines! :lol:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

David Dinkins (90's Newsmakers for $2000) died at 93 yesterday.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

davey wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:02 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:08 am
Harvey Keitel?? I get more of a Daniel Craig vibe from him, myself, whatever his suiting style... :)
Bumping this thread (I'm a couple of weeks behind in my viewing) to say that although I see the resemblance to Daniel Craig now that it's been pointed out, with his impish grin Andy struck me right away as a dead ringer for Paul Reiser.