Friday, November 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSICAL THEATER

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The word "Practical" was dropped from the title of this hit musical not long before it premiered in 1981 on London’s West End

Andy Wood: 14000+13990=27990
Charlie Fonville: 25000+5000=30000 (New Champ)
Rhonda Craft: 9000-8993

Correct response:
Spoiler
Cats (Rhonda – Ribz Rulez)

Daily Doubles
Andy: 5000+5000
Rhonda: 3000+2000
Charlie: 17000+4000

Coryats
Andy: 9600
Charlie: 22200
Rhonda: 8600

Combined: 40,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Andy: 10800
Charlie: 7800
Rhonda: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Long credits alert with somewhat different music mix for the credits brigade.

Andy was no buzzer master in his run and it seemed like even with five games he was not always getting the hang of the timing.

November has had strong Friday wins from the middle and yet those champs were not playing on the following Tuesday. Third time's the charm? We'll see if Charlie can defend after a strong debut.

I'm curious if Charlie knows sports as the stumper for the baseball field team could be a fluke or direct evidence.

Nice to see the writers adding some connective fun with the responses in the POTPOURRI category.

The players combined for a 20400 total after the J! round with 18K on the board values. The pace went down in the DJ! round though 48,000 total and 40,400 Coryat is perfectly respectable.

SILENT "L" would have Kellie Pickler disagreeing with one of the responses as she always said the "L" in the fish name.

The FJ! clue is one I would not have solved in 1984 though by 2020 it's gotten through my thick skull:
Spoiler

#7201, aired 2015-12-28 KITTY LIT $800: "The Naming of Cats" is the first part of his book "of Practical Cats" by T.S. Eliot
#6584, aired 2013-04-11 DOGS & CATS IN LITERATURE $1200: A feline about town, Bustopher Jones is a character in "Old Possum's Book of" these title critters
#5953, aired 2010-06-30 KITTY LIT $2000: Jennyanydots is the subject of "The Old Gumbie Cat", one of 13 poems in this collection
#5802, aired 2009-12-01 T.S. ELIOT $800: A book of verse for children, "Old Possum's Book of Practical" these found new life when adapted for Broadway
#5031, aired 2006-06-26 MEET T.S. ELIOT $3,000 (Daily Double): Practical cats know that Eliot was nicknamed after this animal because his cold manner seemed like playing dead
#4897, aired 2005-12-20 BOOK TITLES $400: T.S. Eliot's poetical classic: "Old Possum's Book of Practical" these
#3818, aired 2001-03-21 KITTY LIT $600: Your cat gives "2 paws up" to this poet's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats"
#3519, aired 1999-12-16 BOOKS FOR YOUR DOG $600: Be warned: in "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats", this poet picks on the Pekingese
#3258, aired 1998-11-04 BROADWAY MUSICALS $1000: "Cats" is based on this book with a much longer title
#2903, aired 1997-03-26 "OLD" LIT $800: Though T.S. Eliot wrote it, the title says it's this character's "Book of Practical Cats"
#2648, aired 1996-02-21 POETS & POETRY $800: His "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" inspired a Broadway musical

Final Jeopardy! Round clues (1 result returned)
#6666, aired 2013-09-16 POETS: Funds provided by his widow were used to set up a literary charity called Old Possum's Practical Trust
Cute that Andy added ears above his "C" and that Rhonda has the wrong kind of pet to acknowledge today.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Practical cats, dramatical cats
Pragmatical cats, fanatical cats
Oratorical cats, delphioracle cats
Skeptical cats, dispeptical cats
Romantical cats, pedantical cats
Critical cats, parasitical cats
Allegorical cats, metaphorical cats
Statistical cats and mystical cats
Political cats, hypocritical cats
Clerical cats, hysterical cats
Cynical cats, rabbinical cats

Jellicle songs for Jellicle Cats!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

ran Number Please, silent L, Science abbrevs, Buildings, 20th Century Pop Culture. :)
:D :D :D on DDs.
Trash pickup: Cleveland Indians, D.H. Lawrence.
FJ: Kept swatting away Practical Magic, not getting Cats out of that clue. :(
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $46,400 (53R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Poll request on hellanodikai -> judge. No idea how the Sam Hill you were supposed to get that without speaking Greek....
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:49 pm SILENT "L" would have Kellie Pickler disagreeing with one of the responses as she always said the "L" in the fish name.
As soon as that category was introduced I knew there would be at least one word where I pronounce the L. There were two (calm, which I can't imagine any other way, and salmon).

Potpourri was a strange category. Never heard of either person in the $200 clue, and filling in "Na Na Hey Hey" seemed overvalued unless they were hoping to trap someone into forgetting the "hey"s and just going for "Na Na Na Na." (Whatever, I'll take the extra $800 Coryat.)

Not quite an instaget on Final, but close.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

I didn't even use the "practical" part: that just threw me off track for a bit. Musical + 1981 debut + West End? What else could it be?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Plactus wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm
Potpourri was a strange category. Never heard of either person in the $200 clue, and filling in "Na Na Hey Hey" seemed overvalued unless they were hoping to trap someone into forgetting the "hey"s and just going for "Na Na Na Na." (Whatever, I'll take the extra $800 Coryat.)
I suspect that some clues are placed in the top row not because they're so easy but because they're so trivial. Likewise "Jake the Snake"--Is it a fact that "many Jakes" are given that nickname? More, say, than Jake the Flake or Jake the Fake? (I did know Kenny 'the Snake' Stabler and Jake 'no nickname' Scott, RIP).

As for "hellanodikai", I guessed that they lit the torch.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm I didn't even use the "practical" part: that just threw me off track for a bit. Musical + 1981 debut + West End? What else could it be?
Practical Suburban Strains, The Practical Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, Practical I'm Getting My Act Together And Taking It On The Road, Practical Ipi Tombi, Practical Billy Bishop Goes To War, Practical Barnum, Practical Eastward Ho!, Practical On Mo' Time, Practical One Night Stand, Practical With A Little Help From My Friends, The Practical Sound of Music, The Practical Mitford Girls, The Practical Swan Down Gloves, Practical Worzel Gummidge.

AASQGASA
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I was pretty sure it was Practical I'm Getting My Act Together And Taking It On The Road, but it didn't hit me until I only had 3 seconds to write my response, so I just gave up and went with Cats.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I manage to watch the show once every couple of weeks with my mom. Luckily today was one of those days, and we both laughed and easily knew Beanie Babies as she was an avid collector back in the 90s, and used to drag me to collectors conventions. I distinctly remember winning a Claude the crab in a raffle they held at one of them.

Judges, is Valhalla too specific to be a substitute for Asgard?

FJ was instaget simply because of my experience watching Jeopardy. The T.S. Eliot book has been mentioned a lot as Mark showed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:47 pm Judges, is Valhalla too specific to be a substitute for Asgard?
It asks for the realm, so I would say yes, too specific.
davey

Post by davey »

Plactus wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:49 pm SILENT "L" would have Kellie Pickler disagreeing with one of the responses as she always said the "L" in the fish name.
As soon as that category was introduced I knew there would be at least one word where I pronounce the L. There were two (calm, which I can't imagine any other way, and salmon).
It happens every time...Despite the category, it sure sounds to me like Charlie put the l in stalker...I (sort of) think there should be a rule...
FJ could be considered a literature clue as much as a theater one...
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 pm
Philliesfan02 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm I didn't even use the "practical" part: that just threw me off track for a bit. Musical + 1981 debut + West End? What else could it be?
Practical Suburban Strains, The Practical Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, Practical I'm Getting My Act Together And Taking It On The Road, Practical Ipi Tombi, Practical Billy Bishop Goes To War, Practical Barnum, Practical Eastward Ho!, Practical On Mo' Time, Practical One Night Stand, Practical With A Little Help From My Friends, The Practical Sound of Music, The Practical Mitford Girls, The Practical Swan Down Gloves, Practical Worzel Gummidge.

AASQGASA

I meant... there were no other musicals of note that premiered in 1981 aside from Dreamgirl, and I knew that one didn't come to West End until 2016.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Fun FJ clue that's approachable from multiple directions, I like it.

And yes I say "calm" with an audible L. That's why pronunciation-based clues annoy me. Don't even get me started on the problems with the mary/merry/marry merger...
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:38 pm Poll request on hellanodikai -> judge. No idea how the Sam Hill you were supposed to get that without speaking Greek....
I took Greek and still didn't get it, though back in the day I might have. I got as far as recognizing that hellano referred to the Greeks and then went astray on dikai which reminded me of the Latin word dicere, to speak. So I guessed Greek-speakers. On reveal it was a forehead slap since the Greek words for judgment, justice, righteousness etc figure largely in Biblical Greek, the form of Greek with which I am most familiar. So I should have recognized that dik morpheme and gotten closer to the right response if not on the money.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Spoilerizing as a precaution since I mention yesterday's game.
Spoiler
Don't know if it was intentional on the writers' part, but having today's FJ deal with Cats the day after the FJ dealt with dogs? I like it. :lol:
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell