Friday, November 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, November 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:41 pm I've said it before, but for me certain so-called silent L's don't get explicitly pronounced, but they do color the preceding vowel, enough so that I wouldn't call them silent. Yoke vs. yolk is one example; I don't hit the L the way I would in "bulk" or "milk," but I pronounce the O farther back in my mouth than I do in "yoke." In yesterday's category, only "calm" ran afoul of my personal pronunciation; "dot-calm" (if such a term existed) would be distinguishable from "dot-com" the way I say it. "Stalk" is homophonous with "stock" for me, however. It's weird: I definitely don't pronounce the L in "stalk," "talk," or "walk" (making them homophonous with their "ock"/"ok" counterparts) but I do (in the above sense of pronouncing a throatier vowel) in "balk" and "caulk."
Futurelings know there's a hidden "L" in "Soviet".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think the only time I've ever heard anyone pronounce the L in "salmon" was when Norbert did it on The Angry Beavers.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

The Talking Mime wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:22 pm Spoilerizing as a precaution since I mention yesterday's game.
Spoiler
Don't know if it was intentional on the writers' part, but having today's FJ deal with Cats the day after the FJ dealt with dogs? I like it. :lol:
Spoiler
After Rhonda's shoutout to her dog, I thought Alex might take advantage to say something like, "Right track, wrong species."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

I once met Gary DeCarlo, the writer of na na hey hey kiss him goodbye. I said that someday I'd like to sing that at an execution. He had never heard that before and laughed out loud.

I am totally embarrassed to admit that I brain froze on Final. I knew it was an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, but I was unnecessarily distracted by other gigantic musicals of 1980s that I knew couldn't be correct. I had to spend valuable seconds dismissing Les Miz and Phantom, inter Alia. I knew cats was the big hit musical of 1981 and knew it was based on the Eliot Work that had practical in its title. But for some reason there weren't enough seconds.

Whatever happened to Cat Hammarskjold?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

floridagator wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 am I once met Gary DeCarlo, the writer of na na hey hey kiss him goodbye. I said that someday I'd like to sing that at an execution. He had never heard that before and laughed out loud.

I am totally embarrassed to admit that I brain froze on Final. I knew it was an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, but I was unnecessarily distracted by other gigantic musicals of 1980s that I knew couldn't be correct. I had to spend valuable seconds dismissing Les Miz and Phantom, inter Alia. I knew cats was the big hit musical of 1981 and knew it was based on the Eliot Work that had practical in its title. But for some reason there weren't enough seconds.

Whatever happened to Cat Hammarskjold?
viewtopic.php?p=342920#p342920
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TIL the Blues in Blues Brothers refers to the family name

Cats! Never seen it, never will
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:22 pm TIL the Blues in Blues Brothers refers to the family name

Cats! Never seen it, never will
You should watch "The Blues Brothers," which is a much better movie than "Cats."