Monday, November 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, November 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TriviaBug »

"Valid" isn't quite the right word here. I think TriviaBug is talking about responses that are equally plausible.
I stand corrected on the use of the word "valid" - thank you, Flealick and BigDaddyMatty. BDM articulated in detail what I going for. I will end with one last post on this topic as it is not fair to hijack this thread to discuss a game from more than a decade ago.
Spoiler
If I were the writer, I would justify the clue as:- The word "jungle" and the phrase "the call of..." are already in the clue, and that should eliminate both Kipling and London as they are prominent in their best known book titles.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

da Doctah wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:59 am Can it be true that so many people have never seen the 1948 film "Bill and Coo", starring Burton's Birds?
Both Bill and Coo and Burton's Birds are unfamiliar to me.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:19 am Put me in the “never heard of bill and coo” camp. Not familiar with Clark U, either.
I live in Massachusetts, and had never heard of Clark U. It's in Woostah, about 45 minutes west of Boston, so I really don't have much of an excuse.

Same for "bill and coo", although I figured it was a Boomerism that was probably even old-fashioned when they were young. Then again, in the 2070 version of J!, we'll have clues about "on fleek" that will seem similarly old-fashioned.....
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 pm "Bill and coo" made me WTF. Poll request?
Yeah, that's a new one on me.
Danged kids these days! Probably never heard of spooning either. Or a sock hop.
davey

Post by davey »

I recognize "bill and coo" as old-fashioned, but familiar enough. (Google Ngram suggests it was coined about 1850 and reached its historical peak in 1860...)
I would have guessed Mass. for Clark if it was a DD, but I might have been thinking of the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown. As far as I can tell, they're not related. Probably was worth a guess anyway...
I carelessly transposed Clark County and Cook County... :oops:
I'm glad it wasn't Cordell Hull. The only other SoS I swatted aside for the right one was J.F. Dulles.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

TriviaBug wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:01 am I will end with one last post on this topic as it is not fair to hijack this thread to discuss a game from more than a decade ago.
Spoiler
If I were the writer, I would justify the clue as:- The word "jungle" and the phrase "the call of..." are already in the clue, and that should eliminate both Kipling and London as they are prominent in their best known book titles.
To revive the hijack, that would not be a safe approach to solving FJ clues, as we were reminded again a couple of weeks ago.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:29 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:13 pm Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" strikes again tonight, with "Russians in Afghanistan". I wonder what the longest stretch of J! with no mention of an event/person from that song has been.
Also John Glenn. And is astronaut/Ohio senator really $2000 level clue?
Space categories typically play as if they were all bottom rows in the first place, so... *shrug*

Final was WECIB for me. Immediate post-WW2 US politician that isn't Truman? If it's not Marshall, I'm not getting it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:05 am Clark County was a triple stumper in the first game of 2020.
Those contestants weren't even trying. I knew Clark County when I was 8 years old. By the time I was twelve, I knew the name of the county corresponding to the principal cities in the US. These names come up all the time on Jeopardy. It's almost as basic as Canadian provinces.

Cook
Cuyahoga
Hennepin
Harris
King
Multnomah
Fulton
Suffolk
Clark
Maricopa
Bexar
Dade
Allegany
Wayne

...are the key ones
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

There is no Dade County any more. It's Miami-Dade.

I would also add to that list:
Manhattan -- New York County
Brooklyn -- Kings County
Queens -- Queens County
Bronx -- Bronx County
Staten Island -- Richmond County
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 am There is no Dade County any more. It's Miami-Dade.
I never really knew why the name was changed, but here's what Wikipedia says:
On November 13, 1997, voters changed the name of the county from Dade to Miami-Dade to acknowledge the international name recognition of Miami. Voters were acting pursuant to home rule powers granted to Dade County, including the ability to change the name of the county without the consent of the Florida Legislature. The change in name also addressed a source of public dissatisfaction with the name "Dade" which was chosen to honor Francis L. Dade, who had been killed in the Dade Massacre in the 1830s. The massacre did not occur in South Florida, but in the west central part of the state, in present-day Sumter County, near Bushnell.
davey

Post by davey »

Pittsburgh is in Allegheny, not Allegany, County.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 am There is no Dade County any more. It's Miami-Dade.
I know. I typed it that way to see who would upbraid me.
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Before the Dade County name change, there were a bunch of combined City of Miami/Dade County governmental functions that went by the name "Metro-Dade." So it wasn't too much of a leap to "Miami-Dade."