Hosting Question

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Hosting Question

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I don't really follow Twitter much, but my wife does and she follows Ken. From what she's shown me he's usually pretty clever and funny. Obviously anyone's going to lay an egg once in a while in that arena. If we've learned one thing from Spinal Tap it's that there's often a fine line between clever and stupid. :D
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

davopardy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:34 am
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:16 pm If even a temporary hosting gig would disqualify someone from competing in future supertourneys (by virtue of having been employed by the show), I would think that would be a huge disincentive to James in particular, and maybe some others. And TPTB may not WANT people like James (and Brad) to be removed from the talent pool for supertourneys.
Which includes Ken even though I believe he did say somewhere that the GOAT Tournament was the last one for Ken to participate in as a contestant on the show.
Would working for one or two days as an interim host really preclude them from future invitational tournaments? I don't think so.

On the contestant applications, they do ask if you've worked for various entities, but nothing there says it is automatic disqualification; plus this would be for special shows.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

opusthepenguin
Love your catchphrase!
[/quote]
nom de plumage.
[/quote]
:D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:29 am First Ken, now Sajak is canceled!
Sajak's been crossing that line for a while now if memory serves...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I watched the show and it seemed pretty tongue in cheek on Pat's part to me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:43 pm
How did my post about it seem to you? :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:11 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:43 pm
How did my post about it seem to you? :D
Sorry, it's sort of hard to read the room here when some people are accusing KJ of "hateful" posts.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

QuizGeek75 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:44 pm Some people are rather disgusted with Ken being the first choice because of his tweets. I still admire and respect the GOAT himself, but let's be honest, I'd rather have him guest host instead of someone even more controversial than him.
Given today's culture, I'm pretty sure you'd be hard-pressed to find ANYONE that "some people" aren't "rather disgusted" with.
--
Drowning in the pool
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Anyone know if Ken did indeed tape hosting games yesterday? I saw a hotel room sign on his Twitter feed which of course could mean nothing or could mean he was away from home yesterday morning.

I don't mind if J! releases a shot of Ken taking the con (submarine term of leadership from Crimson Tide and not in the "scam" sense) while of course not wanting to see the contestants looking at him. Or at least not the champ's spot.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:57 pm I don't mind if J! releases a shot of Ken taking the con (submarine term of leadership from Crimson Tide and not in the "scam" sense)
"Conn", not "con" (it's short for the conning tower).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:57 pm I don't mind if J! releases a shot of Ken taking the con (submarine term of leadership from Crimson Tide and not in the "scam" sense)
Thanks. If I checked the board I would not be surprised if I made the same error previously. I've only seen the movie in the theater and on VHS, so never with words activated. My dad served on an aircraft carrier, so no help there.
goongas

Post by goongas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:57 pm Anyone know if Ken did indeed tape hosting games yesterday? I saw a hotel room sign on his Twitter feed which of course could mean nothing or could mean he was away from home yesterday morning.

I don't mind if J! releases a shot of Ken taking the con (submarine term of leadership from Crimson Tide and not in the "scam" sense) while of course not wanting to see the contestants looking at him. Or at least not the champ's spot.
This article implies it happened, but I don't know if they had a reporter on site or just looked at the calendar...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/01/entertai ... index.html
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:57 pm Anyone know if Ken did indeed tape hosting games yesterday? I saw a hotel room sign on his Twitter feed which of course could mean nothing or could mean he was away from home yesterday morning.
He was making a joke about the fact that the "do not disturb" sign was sponsored by TED Talks -- that's a Marriott thing, so we know he wasn't staying at the Doubletree. (Of course, they'd presumably keep the host separated from the contestants! The show may well have put him up at the Courtyard by Marriott that's basically across the 405 from the Doubletree.)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:55 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:49 pm
Thanks. If I checked the board I would not be surprised if I made the same error previously. I've only seen the movie in the theater and on VHS, so never with words activated. My dad served on an aircraft carrier, so no help there.
To be fair, the phrase probably has appeared in hundreds of movies and TV shows. If someone were to compile a sequence of five-second clips of Captain Kirk exiting the bridge of the Enterprise saying "[Scotty][Spock][Sulu][Chekhov][Etc] -- You have the conn" the compilation would probably run for a couple of minutes.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:40 am 1,000 to 1 odds, but ...

Trump Listed Among Candidates to Replace Alex Trebek as ‘Jeopardy!’ Host
The guy can't put together four sentences to form a complete thought, sure would make the clue reading weird to watch when he goes off script.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:28 am

The guy can't put together four sentences to form a complete thought, sure would make the clue reading weird to watch when he goes off script.
If we're going off the board for host suggestions, I nominate Jesse Jackson. The Question Is Moot has been off the air for a while, so he's probably available.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:28 am

They'd get through about six questions per show.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:28 am The guy can't put together four sentences to form a complete thought, sure would make the clue reading weird to watch when he goes off script.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:19 am They'd get through about six questions per show.
He would also claim the game was rigged if a woman won. :twisted:
mahatma wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:35 am If we're going off the board for host suggestions, I nominate Jesse Jackson. The Question Is Moot has been off the air for a while, so he's probably available.
Green Eggs and Ham would need to be a category in his first game.