FJs for the 11/23/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/23/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 pm

Dirk Stikker, Dutch foreign minister 1948-1952, wrote, "Churchill's words won the war"; this American's "words won the peace"
68%
One of the liberties listed in this: "No man shall be forced to perform more service for a knight's 'fee'... than is due from it"
92%
This California-born woman won a Best Leading Actress Academy Award in 1988, when she had 2 Top 20 hit songs
71%
This sacred syllable is sometimes said to be composed of sounds representing Vishnu, Shiva & Brahma
88%
Of the 6 mainland African countries through which the equator passes, this landlocked nation is last alphabetically  
37%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
22%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
BIRDLIKE VERBS $1000: To talk softly & amorously is "to bill &" do this
63%
CLARK $600: Robert Goddard taught physics & did rocket experiments at his alma mater Clark University in this New England state
47%
IT'S LIKE MAINE $1000: Cape Porpoise & Goose Rocks Beach are part of this town that George Bush's family called (summer) home
77%
Cordell Hull was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
3%
Madonna was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
No votes
Whitney Houston was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
5%
I did spell or would have spelled my response for the Thursday FJ! clue as, "ohm".
12%
Zimbabwe was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
21%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue with a country that both does not touch the equator and also is not landlocked.
8%

Total votes: 92

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 11/23/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

11/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SECRETARIES OF STATE

11/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Dirk Stikker, Dutch foreign minister 1948-1952, wrote, "Churchill's words won the war"; this American's "words won the peace"

11/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC DOCUMENTS

11/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the liberties listed in this: "No man shall be forced to perform more service for a knight's 'fee'... than is due from it"

11/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SINGER/ACTRESSES

11/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This California-born woman won a Best Leading Actress Academy Award in 1988, when she had 2 Top 20 hit songs

11/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RELIGIOUS WORDS

11/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This sacred syllable is sometimes said to be composed of sounds representing Vishnu, Shiva & Brahma

11/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

11/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 6 mainland African countries through which the equator passes, this landlocked nation is last alphabetically

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
(George) Marshall
the Magna Carta
Cher
om
Uganda
The players were 10/15 (66.67%) with a 2-3-1-3-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have two requested triple stumpers followed by another triple stumper.

BIRDLIKE VERBS $1000: To talk softly & amorously is "to bill &" do this

CLARK $600: Robert Goddard taught physics & did rocket experiments at his alma mater Clark University in this New England state

IT'S LIKE MAINE $1000: Cape Porpoise & Goose Rocks Beach are part of this town that George Bush's family called (summer) home

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
coo
Massachusetts
Kennebunkport

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 11/23/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bill & coo not familiar to me
Guessed Massachusetts in thinking it sounded like an MIT-type place
Blank page on Cher as I knew who it could not be
Wrote om
Zimbabwe – landlocked though not close to equator
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( Had Sudan.
:| :| :mrgreen:
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Had Sudan too.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Midler and South Sudan (so, it doesn't touch the Equator -- looks like it is about 3.5 degrees too far north, but is landlocked)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :(

Streisand, Zaire.
Spelled "om" correctly.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cordell Hull on Monday. Zambia on Friday.

NHO "bill and coo". Got Massachusetts but had to swat Clark University of Atlanta out of my head.

Spelled it "om". Was helped by the fact that there used to be a restaurant called "Om" at Harvard Square. They never posted their prices, so as a grad student that meant I couldn't afford to eat there.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :| :mrgreen:
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Forgot about Secretary of State Plan. Pre-called Magna Carta. I think I pre-called Cher along with Streisand. Settled on Cher as the most likely candidate and was able to name the movie and be sure of my guess before the time expired. I remember her being up against Holly Hunter for Broadcast News, which in retrospect wasn't even Hunter's best performance that year. Wouldn't have been able to make a plausible guess on even one of Cher's hits from 1987.

All my pre-calls were Christian on Thursday, unless "I really should come up with some non-Christian options" counts as a pre-call. Considered Zimbabwe but concluded it was too far south. Moved to Tanzania, forgetting the landlocked constraint. Fortunately, Uganda comes later alphabetically, saving me from an embarrassing guess.

Don't think I've heard of "bill and coo" but still got this one right. Didn't get the Robert Goddard state at the time and couldn't remember the correct response when seeing the clue again here. I first learned of the existence of Kennebunkport in connection with the Bushes, so that one was no trouble.

I knew neither Whitney Houston nor Madonna had ever won Best Actress. Bette Midler was out for the same reason. I knew Streisand had, but a couple of decades earlier than 1987. (Funny Girl. 1968. I did not know that she tied for Best Actress with Katharine Hepburn and they both received the award. That seems worth remembering.)

Spelled om with two letters.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:
Zambia - pure guess - on Friday.
Woulda/shoulda guessed on Clark U., but clammed...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(

Discarded Magna Carta because I thought it was too obvious, no guess on the rest.

I could have gotten Kennebunkport with another second or two.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

babs, not Whitney or madonna.
Zimbabwe, absolutely knowing it was incorrect
NHO Clark College and don't know Goddard's birthplace

I probably would have spelled it "omm" if I was on the show, definitely not "ohm"
The Kinnebunkport TS just made me feel old. Millennials, sigh :roll:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I can name all the countries with a map to work from, but JetPunk's quiz doesn't have an equator on its map. I knew Zambia and Zimbabwe were too far south, but I overcorrected and said Sudan (rejecting South Sudan because it's alphabetically earlier). I also know the equator passes south of West Africa, but I lose all sense of latitude inland; I thought it was plausible that it would exit through Somalia to the Indian Ocean.

I wish you had polled My Gym, Mark.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

:mrgreen: :( :oops:

Mon, Tues, and Wed were pretty straightforward for me. Thought about Madonna for a moment, but was pretty sure she wasn't right. Also recalled that the other half of the singing duo was mayor of Palm Springs for a while, so that useless bit of info made me feel better.

Thurs was a last-minute lucky guess. Couldn't think of anything else, so had to pick something.

Fri was a non-starter. The landlocked portion of the clue didn't stick, although I did have a rough idea of where the equator runs through Africa. The countries running through my head included Chad, Central African Republic, Djibouti, and Equatorial Guinea. Then I thought of Eritrea and noticed it comes later in the alphabet - barely. Alas, it's too far north. And not landlocked. Apparently, my mental equator line isn't as good as I thought. Seems to have a northward bias.

Never heard the phrase "bill and coo" but it seemed to fit the soft and amorous description.

Was a bit embarrassed to miss the Maine town. I even paused the video to try to get it off the tip of my tongue, with no success.
--Peter
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I guess I'm one of the few that missed "om"

I only connected that syllable to Buddhism so it never entered my mind for a potential guess on Thursday's FJ. I was trying to connect things like "Hare" or "Kama" but I couldn't get land on a single-syllable guess.

A learning experience, I guess.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Zimbabwe instantly seemed like a trap, so I went backwards to Uganda, having a decent idea of its location. Relieved when it was right.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:15 am but I overcorrected and said Sudan (rejecting South Sudan because it's alphabetically earlier).
Why reject it? It's south of Sudan, so it wouldn't be competing with it (and if the Equator were a few degrees north, South Sudan would be the correct answer -- if it went through Nigeria, Cameroon, CAR, SS, Ethiopia, and Somalia).

Also, yeah, never heard of My Gym.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Pulled Monday straight out of nowhere - Peace and WWII got me to the correct last name without ever knowing the first name, or that the last name was even a Secretary of State.

Tuesday's on me. Magna Carte is catnip to J! writers and quizzers in general, so I should have known it. It's the Sue Grafton of historical documents - it always comes up...however, I'd argue that the Magna Carte is a little more important within its respective field.

Wednesday's a bit of a tricky one, but for some reason "Cher won Best Actress for Moonstruck" is etched in my brain. I don't know why - I don't think it was a particularly noteworthy accomplishment - it's not like she was the first (fill in the blank here) to win an Oscar. And the songs that were in the top in 1988 aren't either of the two solo songs she's best known for - "If I Could Turn Back Time" was 1989, and "Believe" is way later.

Sacred syllable? I didn't like this clue. It's a WECIB - everything else in the clue is kind of fluff. Maybe take the "syllable" part out and add more info leading to information about Indian religions for a challenge?

I fell into the "name a country in Africa starting with Z" trap, and got it wrong on several levels. Zaire is no longer a country, and (barely) touched the Atlantic when it did exist.

NHO "bill and coo", nor of Clark University, despite the fact that I do live in "this New England state". Yikes.

Thought Kennebunkport was easy, but I'm old enough to remember the multiple trips that Bush (and Dubya, right?) took there.