FJs for the 11/23/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/23/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 pm

Dirk Stikker, Dutch foreign minister 1948-1952, wrote, "Churchill's words won the war"; this American's "words won the peace"
68%
One of the liberties listed in this: "No man shall be forced to perform more service for a knight's 'fee'... than is due from it"
92%
This California-born woman won a Best Leading Actress Academy Award in 1988, when she had 2 Top 20 hit songs
71%
This sacred syllable is sometimes said to be composed of sounds representing Vishnu, Shiva & Brahma
88%
Of the 6 mainland African countries through which the equator passes, this landlocked nation is last alphabetically  
37%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
22%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
BIRDLIKE VERBS $1000: To talk softly & amorously is "to bill &" do this
63%
CLARK $600: Robert Goddard taught physics & did rocket experiments at his alma mater Clark University in this New England state
47%
IT'S LIKE MAINE $1000: Cape Porpoise & Goose Rocks Beach are part of this town that George Bush's family called (summer) home
77%
Cordell Hull was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
3%
Madonna was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
No votes
Whitney Houston was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
5%
I did spell or would have spelled my response for the Thursday FJ! clue as, "ohm".
12%
Zimbabwe was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
21%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue with a country that both does not touch the equator and also is not landlocked.
8%

Total votes: 92

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: FJs for the 11/23/20 week

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

11th miss at going 8/8 this season...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Initial thought was Cher, but wife and I talked ourselves into Whitney Houston.

Zimbabwe. Thought about Nambia, but it is neither far enough down the alphabet, landlocked, has a coastline, or exists.

All three "extra" poll clues were pretty straightforward. Guess that confirms I'm an old fart.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:15 am
seaborgium wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:15 am but I overcorrected and said Sudan (rejecting South Sudan because it's alphabetically earlier).
Why reject it? It's south of Sudan, so it wouldn't be competing with it (and if the Equator were a few degrees north, South Sudan would be the correct answer -- if it went through Nigeria, Cameroon, CAR, SS, Ethiopia, and Somalia).
It was a thought process like, "It might pass through one or the other—better to go for the one further into the alphabet."
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

NHO "bill and coo" but intuited it from the rest of the cloo
NHO Clark University and didn't know enough about Goddard to place him in MA
Sprinkles are for winners.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|

Secretaries of state? Singers/Actresses? Yeah, those weren't gonna happen for me.

Completely blanked on om.

Quick solve on Friday after dismissing Zambia as too far south.

NHO of that Maine town.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:07 pm Thought about Nambia, but it is neither far enough down the alphabet, landlocked, has a coastline, or exists.
Also, they'd never ask about Nambia in FJ because it looks too much like an infamous acronym.

8/8. I've heard OF billing and cooing, and I've been to Worcester Mass and remembered that Clark was there.

Never heard of My Gym and didn't guess it. And "in the wings" rather than "behind the curtain".
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:22 am
AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:07 pm Thought about Nambia, but it is neither far enough down the alphabet, landlocked, has a coastline, or exists.
Also, they'd never ask about Nambia in FJ because it looks too much like an infamous acronym.
Perhaps they never ask about it because there's a sizable risk of having to neg someone for eliminating the first i.

edit: they have asked for it once: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5491 (The people who got it wrong named other countries.)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:52 am
Perhaps they never ask about it because there's a sizable risk of having to neg someone for eliminating the first i.

edit: they have asked for it once: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5491 (The people who got it wrong named other countries.)
That's Namibia, which exists. We were talking about Nambia, which doesn't.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

"California-born" sent me down a blind alley and I ended up putting down Bette Midler on Wednesday. I think I may have been able to pull it without that distractor.
I would prefer not to.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:52 am

By "it" you mean Namibia, not Nambia. And by "once" you mean once in FJ. Namibia's come up more than once as the correct response in regular play. Most infamously, there's the "Nabibia" debacle in J5 of this game. Recorded as a TS, but since Nabibia was initially ruled correct, the other two contestants didn't get a bite at the apple. And it's unclear whether Allen might have provided a correct response if asked to repeat himself.