Monday, November 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:36 pm Man oh man, I just realized what an opportunity they missed for the AUTHORS' MIDDLE NAMES category:

Emmy winner George Trebek.
Would they accept "Alex"?

Playing from the thread, meta-considerations led me eventually to the right FJ answer, though at rather a casual pace for competitive purposes. 1975 was a long time ago, "comedy movies" are not studied the way Oscar winners are, and yes, I know where Harrod's is, is there some reason you're reminding me? I also thought of Pink Panther first, knew the year was way off, but I will say "Return of the Pink Panther" would have been a hell of a good try (were they returning the jewel in that one?). Among actual 1975 comedies, I remembered "Shampoo", "The Apple Dumpling Gang" and "Funny Lady" (if that was a comedy but it probably wasn't), pretty quickly.

Some talk about the wording; I didn't like it the last time they asked for holy grail ("type of dish" had me thinking of something like Chicken Kiev).
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This was a painful game on several fronts. All the blank stares at authors’ middle names and Yiddish was dispiriting and for a while Tracy looked almost scared out there. The game did pick up in DJ though Ryan turned it into a runaway. And then FJ... I am a devoted fan of the Pythons, having watched every episode of the show when it first appeared on PBS and every film subsequently. Yet I still managed a clean whiff on this one. I’d never really noted the year on The Holy Grail so 1975 didn’t point me there, and not even the Harrods hint could get me there. Bah!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Embarrassing FJ miss for me since I just watched a multi-hour documentary on Monty Python. They didn't mention this fact as far as I can recall, but still...

My wife got it.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $47,800
55 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Zane, Annie, shrinking violet, schlock, Schlemiel! Schlimazel!, noshing, Turkey, "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)," encyclical, Juan Carlos, stronger

Ben was a good player with a major Vince Vaughn vibe, but his pre-game schtick probably worked better in the bathroom mirror. Ryan's DD3 wager was just *chef's kiss*.

NHO "solitary" bees. What they were going for conceptually was obvious, but I had no idea on the terminology.

My first blank FJ! in a very long time. I could not think of a single comedy movie from the era that had a title object, much less one with a connection to England. My wife went with much of the crowd here and guessed The Pink Panther.

There's a decent case to be made that Ryan's response of "Somebody Who Loves Me" for the Whitney Houston lyric should have been accepted. Parentheticals are often accepted in lieu of main titles, and Ryan's response merely adds correct lyrics to a parenthetical.
Sprinkles are for winners.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:58 am
There's a decent case to be made that Ryan's response of "Somebody Who Loves Me" for the Whitney Houston lyric should have been accepted. Parentheticals are often accepted in lieu of main titles, and Ryan's response merely adds correct lyrics to a parenthetical.
That would be a genuine "Ooh, sorry" from me. Clearly he knew the song. But it's not the title. If you're going to ding someone for slipping up and adding a definite article to "Invisible Man" (yes, I know it creates a different work), I think the bar is high enough for that song title not to be accepted.

I think there's no hard-and-fast rule - they can go case-by-case and determine which song title alternates are acceptable depending on the song itself For "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)", just giving the parenthetical doesn't make any sense - I don't think anyone would know what song you wanted to play if you asked them to play "Who Loves Me". Or, for that matter, "Somebody Who Loves Me". It's known as "I Wanna Dance With Somebody".

Contrast that with "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)". IMO, either part of the title would be acceptable (unless the clue prompts for one), since it's known as both.

There's not always a 100% need for complete, encyclopedic clarity. Cher is a mononym, while Marie Curie requires two names. But they probably accept "Oprah" and "Elvis", even if they're not strict mononyms, and in the latter case, can be confused with OTHER Elvi.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:58 am There's a decent case to be made that Ryan's response of "Somebody Who Loves Me" for the Whitney Houston lyric should have been accepted. Parentheticals are often accepted in lieu of main titles, and Ryan's response merely adds correct lyrics to a parenthetical.
I'm not sure I agree that they are "often accepted". There may be special cases like The Pina Colada Song as mentioned above but I'm struggling to immediately think of more along those lines.

*Edit*

I did think of a couple more decent examples, Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) by C+C Music Factory and Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day. Both of these have clues in the J-Archive calling the song only by the parenthetical title. The correctness of these could be debatable by Jeopardy! or Learned League rules, but for say bar trivia or anything else casual they'd probably be fine. That said I still would not put the Whitney Houston song in the same category.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:58 am There's a decent case to be made that Ryan's response of "Somebody Who Loves Me" for the Whitney Houston lyric should have been accepted. Parentheticals are often accepted in lieu of main titles, and Ryan's response merely adds correct lyrics to a parenthetical.
If you give only the part outside parentheses, obviously you're in the clear; if you give the part in parentheses only, you might get away with it; but I'd say once you have the complete parenthesis and only part of the non-parenthetical portion of the title, you've entered into incomplete title territory, even if you've accurately added lyrics to the parenthetical title.

I'm not sure if I'd feel the same about negging someone giving the complete title and a partial parenthesis. But that concept doesn't really apply here, as the lyrics containing the full title go "I wanna dance with somebody, with somebody who loves me," so "I Wanna Dance with Somebody Who Loves," for example, would have both an incomplete title and inaccurate lyrics.

The main problem here is that sometimes, parentheses in a song title mean "this is the other title the song can go by,"* and other times they seem to mean, "this can be the rest of the title if you want to be thorough about it."

*a subset of this is "what we call the song (its catchiest lyric)"
Last edited by seaborgium on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I see many on here who said they loved or liked Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but whiffed and said Pink Panther... Mystifying to me, since I saw the Holy Grail once and thought it was like 99% lame, yet I had it nailed before Alex was finished reading.

Things that make ya go "Hmmmmmmm..."

I didn't even know the thing about the original script, but it didn't throw me off. Sounds to me like a much better ending than that mess they finally went with.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:46 pmBut no. I thought of the Pink Panther and started humming along with the think music because I was sure I had it.
Same here. Worst. Miss. Ever. But at least I see I have a fair amount of company. Heck, I even went into Manhattan to see it the week it came out. And innumerable times since. BTW, watch it with Closed Captioning on sometime; it's revelatory.
earendel

Post by earendel »

In the "Three Cs" category, I got the correct answer (cockscomb) but thought it was wrong because I spell it "coxcomb" (only 2 Cs). Turns out both spellings are acceptable.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:17 pm
Philliesfan02: Funnier than The Naked Gun?
I haven't seen that one, so I can't say, but it's the funniest that I've watched.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:02 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:46 pmBut no. I thought of the Pink Panther and started humming along with the think music because I was sure I had it.
Same here. Worst. Miss. Ever. But at least I see I have a fair amount of company.
Yeah, I assume this will be a poll question. It'll be interesting to see how large that company is.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:17 pm Philliesfan02: Funnier than The Naked Gun?
I'm not Philliesfan02 (unless I'm leading a double life that even I don't know about) but here's my answer. The Naked Gun seems like it had a lot of funny moments based on how it gets quoted and YouTube excerpted. But I didn't see it when I had the chance and now it's too late. That bronco has bucked. The Naked Gun looks to be in the same vein as Airplane! and Top Secret. I enjoy those sorts of films but they're not likely to crack my top 10.

I don't know if I'd call Holy Grail the funniest movie ever, but it would probably make my top 10. Others in there would be Groundhog Day, Raising Arizona, My Cousin Vinny, The Princess Bride, This Is Spinal Tap. Maybe Roxanne, There's Something About Mary, and The Thin Man.

On the other end of things would be Mel Brooks movies. I just find him embarrassing
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Choppy game. Got FJ right away without a different option, although like many others I had to think hard about the exact wording.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

My precall time was spent running through all the Mel Brooks movies I could remember, and on the reveal it was difficult to dislodge the wagon wheels from that rut.

I'm curious if this clue would have a higher get rate with a slight rewording:
"In the original script for this 1975 film, the title object in the title was finally found in London’s Harrods department store"

As it was presented, I was trying to think of a movie title consisting of just the object itself.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:51 am My precall time was spent running through all the Mel Brooks movies I could remember, and on the reveal it was difficult to dislodge the wagon wheels from that rut.

I'm curious if this clue would have a higher get rate with a slight rewording:
"In the original script for this 1975 film, the title object in the title was finally found in London’s Harrods department store"

As it was presented, I was trying to think of a movie title consisting of just the object itself.
Ahh, that sounds like what I suffered. Not sure if it would have helped though in my case, though. I had nothing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:31 am *a subset of this is "what we call the song (its catchiest lyric)"
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I was an undergrad in the late '70's-early '80's at an engineering school (i.e., Nerd Central), so I could quote about half of this movie before I had ever seen it. By now I've seen the movie several times (and Spamalot twice in theaters) but had never heard the factoid from the clue.

I think it took me about twenty seconds to get this. The year 1975 led me first to Jaws (as was mentioned upthread), and it took me a few seconds to extricate myself from that. I'm not sure if I would have had enough time to write out the correct response; it's just as likely that I would have gotten as far as "What is Monty Python & the Ho" (which might have gotten a few chuckles out of the audience).
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Count me among those who said "Pink Panther." I've seen bits and pieces of "Holy Grail," and even saw "Spamalot," but not the full movie.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:16 am I did think of a couple more decent examples, Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) by C+C Music Factory and Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day. Both of these have clues in the J-Archive calling the song only by the parenthetical title. The correctness of these could be debatable by Jeopardy! or Learned League rules, but for say bar trivia or anything else casual they'd probably be fine. That said I still would not put the Whitney Houston song in the same category.
Another one would probably be "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers.