Monday, November 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:23 am I was an undergrad in the late '70's-early '80's at an engineering school (i.e., Nerd Central), so I could quote about half of this movie before I had ever seen it. By now I've seen the movie several
But have you ever seen it IN STEREO!!!?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO "red crescent" or "yellow streak". Ended up with a bagel in that category.

Middle 3 in Yiddish. Couldn't figure out gelt = money because I was thrown off the trail by blatant TOM misinterpretation. Somehow I thought "you'll get some" was hinting at courage or happiness in some way. Derp.

Also couldn't filter through all the words in time for "schlock". I guess reading MAD filled my head with too many Yiddish words for bad entertainment...

Also 0/5 in Geography.

NHO the $1,200 or $1,600 songs to my knowledge.

Also NHO "Fleabag" or "inductive". Poll request on the former?

1975 comedy movie with a title object? Not a single guess from me. I could have spent months on this.

Lach Trash: schlemiel/schlimazel, nosh
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:31 am
The main problem here is that sometimes, parentheses in a song title mean "this is the other title the song can go by,"* and other times they seem to mean, "this can be the rest of the title if you want to be thorough about it."

*a subset of this is "what we call the song (its catchiest lyric)"
Explain "(There's) No Gettin' Over Me" by Ronnie Milsap, then.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:36 pm
The main problem here is that sometimes, parentheses in a song title mean "this is the other title the song can go by,"* and other times they seem to mean, "this can be the rest of the title if you want to be thorough about it."

(X)Y =/= X(Y)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:36 pm

That looks pretty clearly like "this can be the rest of the title if you want to be thorough about it," does it not?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

More critical cases:

(You've Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)

(At) the End (of a Rainbow)

Fly Me to the Moon (In Other Words)

The Tender Trap (Love Is)
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:44 pm That looks pretty clearly like "this can be the rest of the title if you want to be thorough about it," does it not?
I was more pointing out the pointlessness of putting parentheses around only one word.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:10 pm Also NHO "Fleabag" or "inductive". Poll request on the former?
Fleabag was quite popular a year or two ago. I forget what service/network it was on, but I don't think I got it. Even so, I had heard of it. It's been about a year and a half since any new episodes have come out, and the name escaped me at the time. The pavlov that's probably easier to remember than Phoebe Waller-Bridge is "hot priest" - he's a character from season 2 that was probably the reason for the popularity, and kind of became an internet meme.

I did forget the name, but I actually had seen the play version of it at a movie theater right before the pandemic - they taped it a few years ago and showed. But once "dirtbag" was given, I grabbed the rebound - fairly rare for me to get a rebound.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:48 pm And my FJ streak ends at 15, for something I should have gotten. Went The Pink Panther, even though I knew that was way earlier.

1975 saw The Return of the Pink Panther,so you weren't (all that) far off.

Got FJ, though it's far less of a favorite with me than the J! writers.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Negged on FJ with “The Black Bird” despite thinking it was too obscure (even though the right year) and despite having seen MP&tHG multiple times, I didn’t make the connection. Maybe I was primed by the Dashiell Hammett clue earlier.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:15 pm Fleabag was quite popular a year or two ago. I forget what service/network it was on, but I don't think I got it. Even so, I had heard of it.
It's on Amazon now, free with Prime. I think that's where it's always been, but I'm not sure. I do remember a year or two ago when it seemed like I was getting the recommendation shoved in my face. It's one of the shows that made me wish for a No Thank You button. The current show that's making me wish that is The Queen's Gambit. I'm just not interested. Sorry. It's nothing personal.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:15 pm
Fleabag was quite popular a year or two ago. I forget what service/network it was on, but I don't think I got it. Even so, I had heard of it. It's been about a year and a half since any new episodes have come out, and the name escaped me at the time. The pavlov that's probably easier to remember than Phoebe Waller-Bridge is "hot priest" - he's a character from season 2 that was probably the reason for the popularity
No, it was popular because it was hilarious. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is great. It certainly wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but that's comedy.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Joe Buck and the Bottom Two in Words in the Song. NHO I Wanna Be Sedated. No idea who sang it or when it is from.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Zane, Annie, Colson, Shrinking Violet, Schock, Schlemiel/Schlimazel, Noshing, (Solitary Bee), Indonesia, Turkey, Encyclical, Juan Carlos, Stronger
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:48 am
talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:15 pm
Fleabag was quite popular a year or two ago. I forget what service/network it was on, but I don't think I got it. Even so, I had heard of it. It's been about a year and a half since any new episodes have come out, and the name escaped me at the time. The pavlov that's probably easier to remember than Phoebe Waller-Bridge is "hot priest" - he's a character from season 2 that was probably the reason for the popularity
No, it was popular because it was hilarious. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is great. It certainly wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but that's comedy.
The "hot priest" was played by Andrew Scott, one of the most acclaimed young English actors (he played Moriarty in Sherlock), so he was important to the attention the second series (as the English say) got.
Personally, I thought it was wryly funny, a bit short of hilarious...Phoebe Waller-Bridge also created Killing Eve, another show people hadn't heard of a few weeks ago, and an even better one (at least the first series, when Waller-Bridge was writing it).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:54 am ...Phoebe Waller-Bridge also created Killing Eve, another show people hadn't heard of a few weeks ago, and an even better one (at least the first series, when Waller-Bridge was writing it).
I still haven't watched that, although it's on my list. She also had a fairly minor part in one series of Broadchurch which I thought was really excellent (I mean the show--not so much her role).
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:29 am NHO I Wanna Be Sedated. No idea who sang it or when it is from.
The Ramones; gabba gabba hey!
We need a whole Ramones category!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

cthulhu wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:56 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:29 am NHO I Wanna Be Sedated. No idea who sang it or when it is from.
"Blitzkrieg Pop" and "Rock and Roll Radio" are the only Ramones songs I know, so I am not disappointed that I had no idea.
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

earendel wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:04 am In the "Three Cs" category, I got the correct answer (cockscomb) but thought it was wrong because I spell it "coxcomb" (only 2 Cs). Turns out both spellings are acceptable.
I don't think I've ever encountered that word before, because I feel that if I have, I would have immediately started doing the Beavis and Butt-Head laugh.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:06 pm
cthulhu wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:56 pm
"Blitzkrieg Pop" and "Rock and Roll Radio" are the only Ramones songs I know, so I am not disappointed that I had no idea.
It’s “Blitzkrieg Bop”, not “Pop” 8-)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Monty Python is on my list of topics to learn more about, but the little I know was enough to get this FJ pretty quickly, after swatting away Pink Panther

I got a bit tongue-tied on Schlemiel/ Schlimazel, so I clammed. RIP Squiggy

Speaking of tongues, I had to bite mine a lot during this game. arghhhh.

I did a spit take on Dirtbag!!! :lol: